If you had to get a car today…

We discussed this. Her job has transitioned to a remote position for the foreseeable future and she doesn’t want to limit her future housing options based on Charger accessibility. I explained that everything has trade offs and priorities.

Thank you for your input.

Researching quality ratings and availability / pricing this weekend.

Thanks.

The wife and I purchased a Sahara last year as a fun 3rd car to replace motorcycles (safety) and sports cars (maintenance). Also, recently helped a friend place a 4Xe order with LeaseCompanion. It’s arrived at the dealer but has not made its way to IN yet. My daughter will be home over the holidays and will have ample wheel time to see if she likes the Wrangler experience.

My impression as a 3rd vehicle. Fun, but different fun. Fun like driving a tractor. Ride high and stiff, enjoyable for dirt roads, snow covered streets and light off roading. Doors and top off is a great around town ride (until it rains). Overall pretty happy with it.

My impression as a daily driver. Fun like driving a tractor. Sucks some fuel, cumbersome top storage options, poor on creature comforts, noisy. Noticeable vehicle (good and bad). Overpriced but fun enough to partially justify the cost. Around town driving acceptable. Regular highway commuting no way.

And yes, safety is a concern and the headlights are poor.

1 Like

Sorry, yes. SAL.

A Maserati is never a good deal at any price.

15 Likes

SAL has never been the place to get a car tomorrow. Between the lessor and the DMV, it can be a wait. That’s only gotten worse since COVID.

Besides SAL “deals” suck even more than usual now.

3 Likes

The M4 at $1300/mo with $20k “down” didn’t excite you?

6 Likes

I would buy an older reliable daily driver for $10k or less so my depreciation hit isn’t as bad as with a more expensive car.

Or I would lease the cheapest car I found acceptable.

Personally I have owned enough really nice cars and currently drive a 14 year old beater and at the end of the day just see cars as an expense so getting transportation while minimizing expense is the primary goal.

1 Like

If your okay spending 50k on a lease over 3 years. There’s tons of options.

Bunch of Porsches. Fun fast German sedans.
Dual motor electric cars.

Doesn’t seem to be hard to find something.
I just bought a model 3 performance for a little more. Life is short. Drive something you like.

I stalked SAL daily for the past 2 months after selling my leased vehicles and there have probably been a dozen decent deals out there total. Crazy thing is wildly high down payments were still selling. I’ve called within hours of some being posted and missed out on them or the sellers upped their asking price and requested several thousand dollar down payments. Finally scored a decent deal (by todays standards) on a M440i but it took a ton of stalking. Still looking at 3 to 6 weeks depending on brand to do a transfer though. Back in the glory days of lease swapping you could find $3-400 month deals on really nice cars. Drove a loaded Charger Scatpack for $290 month for 33 months. Prices are double what you used to find.

1 Like

Friend of mine just leased a rav 4 LE.

36k/10k

$500 bucks a month.

Imagine paying $500 a month for a simple base Toyota rav4. Damn these times are downright disgusting .

Meanwhile I just extended my lease into mid 2022, cost me only taxes up front at approximately 185 bucks and a simple simple simple car payment of $275 for a fully loaded touring Honda. Will buy it out and wait for the market to collapse before stepping into another lease.

1 Like

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Positive equity and replacement options in the current market

I hear you. I can’t build what I want because of parts shortages, so I’m just in an indecisive space.

Hyundai Santa Cruz. Hopefully, in 2 years when my Sonata lease ends, I can find 1 below msrp!

Rolled $7500 lease equity out of existing early and applied inceptions to new lease of $85k sticker.
Same car (BMW M550) went from 19 to 22 a little early and payment $150/mo less.

Did same with same years X5 but had $10k equity and reduced new lease payment by $200/mo. 12 mos early. This was late 19 so 11 mos early. No desire to get out until the deal made it not smart not too.

Lost 1pt. interest/MF on each. X5 going up $1500 MSRP In Feb. BMWCCA incentive $1k ea per membership on top of manufacturer incentives and discounts.

I’m also about 11 months out from my xc90 lease ending. I have an R AWD and was going to keep it but man my car seems to be in the shop every few weeks with something or another. Love the car but it’s a gamble for me. Hope yours has been more reliable.

1 Like

My wife got the new model xc90 when it came out in 2016, I now have a 2019 t6 xc90 also r-design. About 24,000 miles. Other then putting new tires on the front after 22k miles (replaced all 4 tires around 25k miles in the 2016). Now my wife has a 2020 t5 xc90. Volvo did replace her brakes on the 2020 for no cost as they wore out around 20k miles. Other than quick wear on tires/brakes we have not had any other issues with any of the xc90. 2016 had about 40k miles and now 24k on mine and 26k on my wife’s…

Order Palisade or maybe wait until they put a third row back into Santa Fe and stop short-changing the Calligraphy trim.

(My 2019 Kia Sorento had 3 rows, greeting illumination, beep on lock, seat back pocket on both driver and passenger seats, etc)

1 Like

What is SAL?

So glad to see Volvo never resolved the brake wear issue on their cars and would rather just pay to replace them early.

I suppose for a large crossover that 20k miles isn’t terrible, but it still seems so soon.