If you had to get a car today…

BMWFS took a $100+ million hit on their underwater cars at the time IIRC.

1 Like

Least they remained solvent.

1 Like

Basically that dealer is admitting they never got a GT3 or higher model allocation.

R/suicidebywords

1 Like

Oy, the maintenance costs on that, though…

Does she live near charging stations or work at a place w/ charging stations? If she’s not driving a ton, that might work for her.

If she can stomach a wrangler as a daily driver, definitely order to lease a 4xe. It’s a PHEV not an EV so you could survive.

Hennessy does not struggle for allocations of any kind. Probably more of a store policy for non-specialty cars. That is how we operate for 99% of our inventory. I would be shocked if they are selling GT cars without some type of market adjustment. Edit; Don’t look at their extremely low mile 21/22 preowned inventory and compare the asking price to the original MSRP and when they were originally “sold”.

1 Like

Hoping things improve in a year when my E300 lease is up. I doubt it’ll get anywhere close to what I’m paying now. But if not, I’m gonna cash in any equity I can get for my E300 and go for my affordable dream car - a CPO LC500.

1 Like

I’ve never bought an exotic, but I recall reading somewhere that Ferrari’s are allocated to previous buyers who often turn around and sell them right back to the dealer for a nice profit…the dealer then is free to sell a “used” car for whatever they want to newbies.

Isn’t that possible for the GT3s too? I’d imagine that “used” cars can be sold for anything.

Yes this happens, you order an intro level Ferrari and get offered to buy an 812, then resell it to the dealer and they sell it certified.

For higher end cars there can be civil export agreements, you won’t resell x car within x months, or export the car for x years.

1 Like

It had the CPO warrant that picked up a lot. Once it was going to expire it was time to get rid of it. That car was problematic and the warranty paid out more than my cost of the vehicle.

1 Like

This is essentially the whole used market right now. I’ve never seen more used, current year cars for sale in my life. Across almost all brands really.

This used to be my search criteria for finding loaners to lease, but not anymore…

Loaners aren’t really worth leasing rn for the most part unless you’re just looking for a car that isn’t decontented.

1 Like

Some of it makes sense. The wrangler’s off-road capability requires ground clearance that makes it tipping over more likely. And the flipping over on front overlap testing was a big issues. Not a safety trade off I would make if I didn’t off road a lot but that isn’t really Jeep’s fault.

What mystifies me is the headlights. Why can’t they put decent headlights into this thing. And it’s not some cars where only the top trim(s) get good headlights. The higher trim Wranglers get headlights with a marginal rating with all other trims having a poor rating.

Coming from an Accord with good headlights and a XC90 with adequate headlights (both per IIHS rating), I can definitely see the difference in my Jetta’s poorly rated headlights. Makes it a lot harder to drive at night on poorly lit roads.

4 Likes

Indeed. I saw one of the broker threads recently with a few loaners and I gasped at the going rates. I think it was like $500/mo for an A-class loaner

1 Like

If I had to get a car tomorrow? I’d go to SAW and get some random model since I don’t’ drive much. Something like a Camry.

I like Maseratis and the 2021 are $13,500-15,000 off, and I have like 10k+ equity in my m550i, so I could score a very deep deal on one, probably 700ish a month on a Levante.

Most the cars left on SAW, at least what I’m looking at (M5s, M8s) are people wanting 10000+ down. One guy says ‘12000 and NOT a penny less’.

I want the market to flip so these idiots are back to sitting on a depreciating asset again (whining)

1 Like

What is SAW?
Or do you mean SAL?

6 Likes

Awhhh man, I highly advise not getting a Tesla! :joy:

Just traded mine in, luckily Sina was able to pull some strings and get me into a IS 350 under sticker.

Tesla’s quality is not that great.

2 Likes

You don’t buy the Tesla for quality, consistency, or good service experience. You buy it to dunk on folks emptying their wallet for gas, or….you like to hug trees……i dunno…

Just get an M340i from me, if you don’t love it throw it on SAL and buy a Tesla.

:laughing: don’t forget about the spiritual gangsters/shamans and sound healers.

1 Like

Enjoying the posts/banter.

I don’t have a car - pandemic induced car-free lifestyle / turned in a lease Feb 2020. Now, Omicron has delayed my need for a car by a few more months, but the question of what folks are doing has been on my mind. It’s been a topic of discussion with some colleagues in a similar situation too.

My budget is up to $50k. I could purchase outright or lease (sum of pmts can’t exceed $50k over 36m term). You all have provided some new ideas to explore.