If you had to get a car today…

Hennessey Porsche in Alpharetta GA

Yeah GT3s have sold above sticker practically forever.

That dealer was blowing smoke where the sun don’t shine.

1 Like

Only time in my life I would seriously consider buying from an AutoNation dealer. At least locally (Puget Sound area of WA State) they are not selling about the MSRP (normal destination charges and all, but not $10-30k above MSRP)
So, basically they have the same price they had prior to this happening. With their same lack of willingness to negotiate.

1 Like

Lol, they have used porsches and other cars for over msrp. They have a dealer policy for addendum that’s it.

1 Like

MSRP on a used vehicle? All I can do is share what I was told. It was my first Porsche purchase ever and when I did it, the dealership told me that Porsche prohibits them from selling new vehicles over MSRP.

I would say for the most part, even if they didn’t prior to the pandemic, probably 99% of stores are selling cars for over MSRP now and days.

Have heard plenty of dealerships say that in the past but instead they will just add a $1,000 doc fee, $500 nitrogen fill up, $500 vin etching, maybe a $2,000 ceramic coating and then mark up the rate by 2 points and in their mind that makes them more morally just.

1 Like

Hook, line, and sinker.

Any Porsche dealer can charge over MSRP if they so wish (we’ve seen that effect on here).

Some Porsche dealers maintain a policy of not negotiating price at all, so prices stick to MSRP. That’s a local store policy and it’s not reflective of anything Porsche can really do, short of refusing GT-car allocations.

1 Like

This is timely thread.

My daughter took advantage of Subaru’s Recent College Grad Lease Program after graduating. Her 2019 Outback lease is ending in about 60 days so she asked for a offer from Carvana. Wow! $30,600! Her buyout is $18,000ish. She basically drove the car for free for 36 months. She loves her Outback but doesn’t want to pass up the windfall.

She’s asked me to help figure out a replacement. She loves the idea of electric and taking advantage of the tax credit but she is is an apartment dweller at this point and has no place to install a charger.

Any ideas?

PHEVs have tax credits too. $7,500 for RAV4 Prime, $6,875 for Sorento, etc etc IIRC.

@max_g You are correct and I appreciate your pointing out that not all CPO cars will have the lifetime. The dealer extended the CPO warranty to “lifetime,” whatever that means. This dealer has been a pleasure to do business with.

Seems like a perfect 4XE candidate

Maybe… but not everyone wants a more truck-like vehicle even if it’s a PHEV.

Someone who loved an Outback might want a similar car-like experience again.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s true! I find the wrangler to be popular with females so I went with that assumption

There’s always the grand cherokee 4xe. Timeline is a little less clear, but it’s a closer product to an outback

After Chrysler’s DGAF attitude to the last GC’s poor crash test results, I wouldn’t recommend the next one to any parent until I see some evidence to the contrary.

3 Likes

This. I’ve kept my mouth shut the entire 4xe hit-parade. The updated Wrangler crash test results are out, and they were just ok. As a former Subaru owner who almost got a 2019 Outback instead of the XC60 I’m leasing, “safety” isn’t a word that comes to mind with Jeep (“death trap” though). And if she has the H6 engine, that thing is truly special (if not the 4 cyl is fine). I’d probably buy it out and ride it out until she fell in love with something else.

3 Likes

That is news to every Porsche dealer selling GT3s for $50k+ over MSRP.

1 Like

I leased a 750 (90k car with a 70% 2 year residual) in 2007. When I returned the car in 2009 the dealer put it up certified for 35k (and probably paid BMW 27k for it). A long way from the 62k residual. I was so glad it was a lease.

The 7 series has to be the worst depriciating car I have ever seen next to the A8.

4 Likes

In 2009 used luxury cars were on the cheap after the big boom on 2005-2008. I picked up an SL 600 certified for under 40k.

1 Like