How much has your car insurance changed since you last checked? (lease/finance)

Have you checked travelers?
For state farm did you like try updating the specific liability coverages for the 2 cars? Like 100/300 for the bmw and then mabe 25/50 for the honda.

I wasnā€™t sure so I did just now. Very high $1310 for 6 months. Iā€™ll probably just stick with Progressive for 6 more months and re-evaluate in April. I wasnā€™t necessarily complaining about the rate as much as I was surprised to see others paying less for similar (or higher) value vehicles.

As for the different levels of coverage, Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s possible unless you had two separate polices. For example if you have 100/300 I think it applies all vehicles on the policy.

Ours went up $140/mo total with the MX, X5 45e and 330e on the policy.

Geicoā€¦

If I remember they were fixing the m3p, totaled after all?

Wasnā€™t at fault so shouldnā€™t have affected renewal.

Sold that before values crashed on used TeslƦ.

1 Like

with statefarm itā€™s possible, in new york it is, my lease have higher coverages while the others have state min.

I guess my increased isnā€™t so bad compared to some lol. I just received my 6 month renewal and it increased around $80 for the new period. Iā€™m going to get railed when the Hellcat finally lands though. :smiling_imp:

Why on earth would you do that (lower limits on one car vs. other)? Those are liability limits that protect YOU and your assets in event you are liable for an accident. Do you need less liability coverage just because youā€™re driving a Honda instead of the BMW? If you get sued it wonā€™t matter which car you were driving.

4 Likes

Damn, I never really thought about it that way. What amount do you suggest ?

The liability coverage protects your assets if you are on the hook. Think of worst case scenarios - bodily injury = you cause major bodily injury to someone or kill someone, property damage = you crash into a Ferrari and it gets totaled, you crash into someoneā€™s house and cause major damage. How much are you worth and what could a good lawyer sue you for?

I personally carry 250/500 on our auto policy plus a $2M umbrella. I see enough $1M+ commercial auto claims in my day job to know what a bad car crash can cost.

2 Likes

If you donā€™t have a crazy amount of assets, 100/300 is fine. I am a broker in CT so the lowest I will ever issue is 50k/100kā€¦but anytime I issue insurance in NY the minimum iā€™ll do is 100/300. I donā€™t know what Iā€™ve seen more in NY, accidents/almost accidents or personal injury lawyers.

I personally try to get 1 year policies to avoid exactly that 6 months rate hick just because. Once a year is enough for the to shop around.

My current situation probably would be the case. Just got new insurance about 1 months ago but for 1 year. Two days ago hit a deer and car might be totaled when all set and done. But I still have same rate till next year and then itā€™s already almost a year since the accident:)

Well, and I try to pay in full using a credit card to get pint and avoid to give insurance company with their monthly plans or put it another way try to capture discount on full pay.

1 Like

Unless you have an umbrella, or no assets (doesnt fit your vehicle profile), you are underinsured

1 Like

Personal assets are only one item to consider
Should you be whacked by someone uninsured or underinsured, and your coverage is 100/300 ā€¦well that is the end of line (cant get blood from a stone)

https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-uninsured-motorists

2 Likes

My insurance went up last year by about $100. It was slated to go up this year by another $100. I had Safeco insurance (through a broker) for my wifeā€™s 2017 Pacifica and my 2021 A6. We paid annually to save some $$.

We ended up going with Arbella Insurance (through AAA Northeast). It should save us about $250/year.

We have $250k/$500k coverage for bodily injury caused by an uninsured/underinsured, and the same coverage for bodily injury to others.

1 Like

Any suggestions for insurance companies in south Florida? Currently with GEICO

My tundra just went from 140 to 190/mo. Insane

1 Like

Iā€™m getting ripped by Progressive now. Started at $513/6 months for 2x cars etron and 5 series and now itā€™s $1200/6 months. 2x!!!

Time to shop.

4 Likes

I have one car registered in FL, and itā€™s with Progressive. They had the cheapest rates but ripped me on the final part of the quote, saying that I had a claim over $1,000ā€¦which was a windshield in February 2021. That raised my rate by something like $250 for 6 months. I donā€™t plan on keeping the car registered there, so it was a ā€œwhateverā€ thing.

I have GEICO here in NY and I just got my renewal. It went up $13. Palatable.

Thatā€™s the exact reason I try to avoid 6 monthsā€™ terms. It always feels like an introductory rate that is then hit with obscene renewal.

Get 1-year term next time:) Less often to deal with such a headache

4 Likes

Progressive quoted me $800 for 6 months but Iā€™m currently suing them for diminished value so not sure if I should switch to them. Then they will know the car is leased, trying to keep that under the radar. :joy:

1 Like