Honda Civic Type R | $52,000 | $30.9k one pay (update inside)

Update! He decided to finance the car at $52k sale price instead of lease - woooh. The money savings difference was just too vast when compared to leasing. I calculated it 3+ times and at minimum it’s $5k cheaper if he finances then sells it in 3 years, and best case it’s $10k+ cheaper (which there’s likelihood given how little he drives and how much value it will retain).

Still an expensive car over MSRP, but a better of the 2 by choosing to finance. So I’m happier now.

Thought I’d update you all! Will leave the below just for context to anyone thinking of leasing this car in this current market in California.

:heavy_minus_sign: :heavy_minus_sign: :heavy_minus_sign: :heavy_minus_sign:

Edit: What is the opposite of a Unicorn? The darker side of car leasing. :skull_and_crossbones:

First let me start by saying that this isn’t a car for myself, but my friend. He was dead set on the Civic Type R even knowing they were asking over MSRP, so I just made it my mission to get the lowest price gauge :sweat_smile:. A best of a worst deal. I said we could get him so much more car for what he’s willing to pay, but it wasn’t worth it to him (“worth” not being monetary in this scenario).

Talked to 10+ dealerships (pretty much any one that had this car in California) and most were $10k - 15k+ over MSRP. Two from today was actually $70k before taxes…my god. My 2023 Audi S4 fully loaded w/ performance and other packages is $62k MSRP (& I got it for a few thousand less than that). Sorry, but no. Locations were frustratingly telling me to come in person “because this car is so rare” (even after I told them I live 5-8 hours away), and none were willing to ship which I understand.

After some negotiations and competing offers, was able to get down to $52k. Decided for the one pay upfront option to reduce the money factor beyond the base level - and came to $30,949.21.

One pay saved about $1,500. 7.32% APR vs 5.4% (reduced with one pay)
36mo/10k mi
money factor 0.00225 (0.003050 is standard rate)

2 Likes

Didn’t know they wrote leases on the CTR. Congratulations on the deal.
Are you able to share specifics like mileage, term and money factor?

at 31k onepay on 52k price, why not finance it instead of leasing?

1 Like

Because there is more than one way to set money on fire.

22 Likes

Throw Away Make It Rain GIF

10 Likes

More than half the dealerships weren’t. I was able to convince a few of them to by just asking haha.
Yes of course!

36mo/10k mi
money factor 0.003050 (which is standard rate)

Was able to reduce the MF by .00080 w/ the one pay route, which went from 7.32% to 5.4%

Crazy thing is MF was .002950 yesterday, just changed to .003050 today by Honda corporate.

It’s a valid question and I asked him too. Came down to wanting another car in 3 years, barely driving (drove less than 1,000 miles over the past 3 years w/ his recent alfa romeo). Financially could make more sense to finance vs lease, but lease was just his decision.

Aw… can’t believe this.

Cant Reaction GIF

2 Likes

Honestly more reason to finance. But yeah his money so he can choose to light it on fire all day every day

3 Likes

tell your buddy when its time to return it ill buy it for the residual since hes not very bright im sure he wont mind

14 Likes

bookmarking this for when i make a stupid purchase and need to feel better about it. 10k a year to drive a $45k civic while people are out here driving 158k Audis for 7k a year. lord have mercy

16 Likes

Lol. You could least a base Wrx and an etron gt for what this guy pays for a Civic.

5 Likes

By then this will be the only Honda you’ll want to buy.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a42796089/2024-honda-cr-v-powered-by-hydrogen-details/

3 Likes

SMH whoever approved this needs to be fired

1 Like

The dude’s name is referenced in the C&D article.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanharty/

First, the mental strength required to follow/comprehend this thread…

Now a $10k per year Type R thread…

That’s enough LH for me for the week

Fran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis

4 Likes

These comments are great - thanks everyone! It is a bad deal given how insanely over MSRP it is (and all civic type r’s right now are). All my previous cars were under MSRP or demo cars with steep discounts, so it hurts - but it is his call. This funny enough was the best deal. This dealership was even $6k over the amount we landed on.

However, he’s going on Saturday to pick up the car with money order in hand. I guess you could say it was pre-signed but not yet executed. Maybe I was premature in calling this ‘‘signed’’.

Now I’m going to scour this forum to see if there are any other high end cars for similar amounts that get way more bang for his buck - and try to convince that way.

2 Likes

these are actually rare though, which means it makes sense to keep it for 10+ years with no miles on it. i can see them holding their value (look at the value of the old integras in excellent condition) buying one even at a small markup might be ok, but leasing it? gigantic oof.

5 Likes

So he’s choosing to spend 31k to rent a car he may drive less than 1000 miles. Bold move . Some people do enjoy lighting money on fire. I don’t really understand how someone can enjoy cars but basically never drive them. Like the idiots who buy 911s and drive them couple thousand mile a year