Hit and run on a parked car (NYC life…)

so then it’s likely somebody with a thick beard, random tattoos of triangles, on an e-scooter while carrying a soy foam oat milk extra foam latte, didn’t see where he was going?

3 Likes

It’s a lease.

1 Like

jesus that is CHEAP. it cost over $1k to repair a honda accord bumper here and the damage wasn’t half that bad.

I have comprehensive with a $0 deductible.

Hopefully, it stays around those numbers that are only based on photos.

Will update tomorrow.

A $300 paint job, the shop is likely sanding, and adding bondo and painting while parts are still on the car. Expect a decent amount of overspray

I once saw a Honda CRV bumper being spray painted out in the open, not in a paint booth.

i love to see TLC and taxis driving around with matte paint jobs haha

3 Likes

That’s basically what he’s gonna get for $300 LoL.

I wouldn’t take my BMW to some place on Jerome Ave in the Bronx and have Dominicans paint my bumper outside on the curb all while listening to Reggaeton blasting from a speaker :loud_sound: and hearing the thunder of the subway L up above every 5 min.

I saw someone posted a shop on McDonald Ave in Bklyn :joy:

2 Likes

bushwick is mostly gentrified now. hipsters and alphabet people took over

1 Like

Yeah true. Still rough around east NY and bed-stuy tho

1 Like

theres no shortage of places in nyc to get got

2 Likes

For those interested…

Went to 3 body shops in LICs and one rim repair shop in Brooklyn. All of them pretty reputable in terms of Google/Yelp reviews.

Body shops quoted me 1200-1500 cash for everything.

The rim repair shop quoted me 150 for the rim and 450 for the body, so total 600 cash.

That seems like a very huge difference in $.

What kind of finish differences should I expect if I decide to go with the rim shop that claims they also do body work (didn’t know until the guy mentioned it).

If this was your lease (2year remaining), would you get them repaired at all? Will there be any issues when returning the vehicle if the rim shop does a crappy job?

2 Likes

Yes I would

2 Likes

Yes absolutely. For me, it’s not so much that the car is leased or owned but that it would bother me to drive around in a damaged/poorly repaired car. But I’m neurotic like that.

My advice is to go to a body shop that is tried and tested, and don’t necessarily rely on google/yelp. A few bucks more could save you from a massive headache later.

3 Likes

Wtf does a rim repair shop know about bodywork?

4 Likes

That is what I think/thought when the guy confidently mentioned that he can fix it to a pre-accident condition. I will likely get the rim fixed here but not sure about the bumper. Reading its reviews and website, they do body work as well.

I’m going to shop a few more body shops tomorrow.

If you had a month left on the lease, you could probably gamble with the $600 job,
But if you have two years left, the bad paint job can crack or peel then you will have to spend more money again.

1 Like

A question.

Can reconditioned rims have cracking and/or peeling issues down the road? Or is it pretty permanent?

I’ve had a couple sets of wheels powder coated. Never had an issue. You want to make sure it’s powder coating and not paint.

1 Like

refinished then powder coated should be fine.