Got charged $2000 for excessive wear and tear Volvo lease return

Thanks, I just moved my comprehensive deductible from 1000 to 250.

1 Like

I didn’t realize last time I returned. I could have used my insurance to fix it before return.
Is that what you guys normally do if the wear and tear is too much?

No surprise there if you had FWD and never rotated tires because Volvo does not recommend it.

1 Like

Wrong assumption. This was a second set of tires, OEM set wore out after 20K miles, the car had about 35K on it when turned in, and the tires were rotated once. In any case, it’s beyond the point, $700 to replace two 19" tires is a rip off. To be honest I didn’t mind too much, since Volvo took it in 9 months before the lease end (pull-ahead), and got me a sweet deal on a new T6 RD. But OEM tires on these cars don’t seem to last, no matter how you drive really.

I had Conti Pros that were gone before 20k on FWD S60

Yep, exactly my experience. They just put soft tires on for better ride, I think. My wife’s XC60 also had Conti ProContact LX from the factory that were bald after 18K, and she is not an aggressive driver. I still replaced them with an identical set, primarily because they are quieter than anything else I tried (foam-lined). Volvo is well known for skimping on sound-proofing, low-frequency “droning” and road noise are very noticeable. I would rather replace tires more often.

Interesting I just got my final bill from Volvo and it contained a detailed autovin report with pictures. The only thing I wa s charged for was legit. A cracked rear tail light. They could have dinged me for way more. 3 rims had curb rash and I had a dent and several large scratches I was honestly expecting more and would not have refuted it.

I find it very odd they didn’t give you an autovin report.

1 Like

Yep, same experience with autovin. Never had any issues.
But I think he actually never got autovin inspection, just took it to the dealer.

That is correct. Was not allowed to do an inspection prior to lease turn in. These actual charges were based on the report of Autovin inspection after lease turn in

A little tid bit for anyone reading this and lives in FL, if you have insurance (which is required for a lease) you get free windshield replacement. It doesn’t/can’t count as a claim or as a ding. My insurance guy said the law just changed and it made it even easier so it should never be an issue down here.

1 Like

How tire manufacturers seemingly have no issue making a tire that needs to be replaced after 15k miles is absurd. Back in the day, tires could be driven up to 50K and be fine.

You’re honestly surprised you’re getting charged for the windshield? I’m interested in seeing their response. That seems like something that should have been addressed prior to return. Did the dealer say anything to you? I know inspections have been waived over the past few weeks, but would assume the dealer would have said something.

You can buy 50k+ tires today no problem, but they don’t handle nearly as well and maybe noisier as well. Cheap high mileage tires would ruin the reviews.

There’s some track focused tires you can get on a GT3 or Z06 which would get under 5k miles. It’s all a trade-off.

1 Like

Autovin isn’t owned by Geely lol. 2 grand is a lot, but this thing must have had some body damage.

1 Like

I was told I couldn’t get an inspection before returning the car as well. I returned the car without getting an inspection. About two weeks later I receive my final bill from Volvo financial in the mail with the autoVin report that they obviously did after I returned it.

I was told the same about inspections. Returned mine without and got a full msd refund/no bill.

2 Likes

I called vcfs to see if they would waive $150 curb rash for a loyal repeat customer, no joy. Was hoping there was some allocation/concession if you leased another Volvo. I also think I was over mileage by a couple hundred but wasn’t charged anything so a wash I guess.

They say msd refund will go out in 30 (business) days less the $150.

1 Like

30 BUSINESS DAYS - 6 weeks - sure seems like a long time to refund the MSD in this day and age.

Yeah Volvo/Geely is really being stingy

This is why you get a preinspection.
You are at the mercy at what ever happens to your car before the inspector gets there.

And that windshield crack looks like it’s growing. That doesn’t look like a cheap fix to me.
Anyhow it doesn’t matter if the inspector puts ‘winshield crack’ you are on the hook for the whole thing.