Got charged $2000 for excessive wear and tear Volvo lease return

Yikes. Rooting for you! Please do keep us posted. Hopefully the dealer helps you out—if they don’t they lose you forever, no? Some tacky crap to try and get you on the backend like this. I wasn’t offered excess wear & tear (and didn’t ask) when I leased my loaner last week. Gulp.

Re: tires, my dealer suggested rotating every 5k miles to keep treads even.

Looks like Volvo is hurting financially and they have found a new profit center.

2 Likes

It’s interesting, if you were buying that car from the dealer and dealer offered you 100 $ discount to buy car with that chip on windshield…

Will you take it …

1 Like

It looks like it might be in the driver line of vision or whatever they call it - I had a chip there and Safelite wouldn’t touch it because it was illegal for them to fix it in my state.

It’s entirely possible the door did have a dent in it by the time it got to Volvo, in which case you’ll need to take it up with the dealer/provide your evidence.

hmm that could be true. although I had a similar chip in a car a few years ago and was able to have it fixed might depend on state.

I was considering an S60 for my next lease too…

Reading this thread a couple days after my 3-year-old “drew us a picture” with a rock on our XC60… :face_vomiting:

12 Likes

2020 in a nut shell

About 10 years ago, I had a crack in the winshield of my wife’s leased 2007 X3. It was noted on the pre-lease end inspection report. Since I had glass coverage, I called my insurance company who sent safelite. The repair was flawless. I swear I couldn’t tell where it was done. I turned the X3 back into BMW who in turn tried to charge me for a new windshield. I told them I had it fixed and even sent them a receipt. They told me that the windshield had to be replaced because the chip was in the path of the wipers. I eventually got the charged dropped.

This makes me nervous about my leased Tacoma. The truck is in great shape, but the bed has quite a few scratches.

On a side note, do the leasing companies actually fix these issues or just charge the customer?

1 Like

Typically they just charge the customer and send the car to auction.

2 Likes

So the two things I’m getting from this post are 1. Always, always get an inspection at lease turn-in, and 2. always have your windshield replaced or repaired through your insurance, eve if it’d a tiny chip like in the pic. The deductible is usually minimum.

1 Like

nope, regular 19"s on S60, nothing special

windshield crack is within wiper field they can charge you full price.
your insurance can cover this free or w/deductible without premium increase.
It’s too late anyway.
crack or chip within wiper field most lease company charge for that.

1 Like

I know it’s totally irrelevant, but I remember my Honda lease end 2 years ago. I had a small crack on a windshield and the inspection guy put it on the list. He told me even if Honda charges me, it should be no more than $100-150. I had some other minor issues that the guy didn’t even notice.
Well, Honda didn’t charge me a dime and for some reason they even waived a dispo fee, even though I haven’t leased another Honda after that.

Threads like this make me nervous about my GMC lease end next month. I have a small paint chip on a front bumper and a small (less than a dime in size) tear in upholstery, so I wonder how big of a hit (if any) I should expect…

Do you mean you have to pay up to deductible? I usually run with $1000 deductibles so may not help me too much.

1 Like

I returned my '18 S90 back in January, four months early. I was under mileage by a few thousand.

I actually drive my lease cars like “I” own it, not like someone else owns it.

Car was as good as new when returned. Got 100% of my MSD’s back.

5 Likes

Turned mine in last month without pre inspection and just got bill. Was charged $150 for curb rash. Probably valid and not worth fighting, other wheels had rash as well but I guess one was over their threshold? Car had usual wear and tear, some dings and dents but nothing too excessive. Was concerned that MDS would be license to gouge but overall final assessment seems ok.

Doubt leasing another volvo had any affect on final bill as it is a third party inspector but if you did, call vcfs up and ask what the can do for a loyal repeat customer. Auto VIN was who inspected my car and can see report and view pics online.

1 Like

Yep… I paid $1000 deductible for my windshield replacement, total bill was about ~3K , with OEM glass at dealer

FYI on most damaged claims on windshields would fall under comp., if you don’t have a separate glass policy. To go from 1000 to 100 on comp. isn’t that much per month as my insurance agent taught me. I want to say I’m paying like 7.00 a month more per car and have a local glass shop that eats my deductible so money well spent on three OEM windshield replacements over the past few years. I would recommend looking into that.

2 Likes

Called Progressive and was told exactly what you said. 100 comp falls under glass replacement, totally worth it.

1 Like