Got charged $2000 for excessive wear and tear Volvo lease return

But due to COVID-19, you cannot get a preinspection now for most/all brands.

1 Like

But replace windshield with insurance usually free ? Or I am wrong ??

I stupidly did not have my Volvo inspected before returning it at the end of the lease term and I just received a letter from Volvo stating that there was some damage to the car and that I owe a few hundred dollars for the damage. I am almost positive that the damage described was not there when I returned the car. The car was inspected more than three months after I returned it, so the damage could have easily been done while sitting in a parking lot all this time. I plan on calling them when they open tomorrow but curious to hear if anyone has had experience with an issue like this.

Did you take photos at lease turn in? When I turned mine in, I did a slow speed walk around of the car while filming in case I had to prove the lack of damage.

2 Likes

Taking photos at turn-in is a smart move. Iā€™ve been doing it since I almost got burned for tires and rims back in 2009. Turned in my Tahoe back in 2009 and some scumbag at the dealer swapped the tires and rims off my tuck after I turned it in. Thankfully, my friend and clientā€™s family owned the dealership. They noticed my car because of the sticker on it, but saw the tires/rims were not the ones that had been on it. They called me, I went to the dealer, and the used car manager who took my car the day before verified I had turned it in with different tires/rims. Had to be a dealership employee as the truck was kept in a locked yard overnight with an 8ā€™ high fence and barbed wire. Just glad it cost me nothing and taught me to always take photos on turn-in, even if the pre turn-in inspection went fine. It should be noted that in over 20+ leases, this is the only time something like this occurred. This was also during the ā€œcash for clunkersā€ program when there was a lot of ā€œshadyā€ stuff going on at many dealerships.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

Iā€™m in almost the EXACT same situation. I called VCFS twice leading up to my lease turn in to schedule my lease-end inspection. I was told both times that AutoVIN was the only contracted company to do Volvo inspections and that they were not currently doing them due to the pandemic. I was told I had no other option for inspection, and that I should document any damage and just turn the vehicle in. I should also note that the vehicle was in immaculate condition, only had 18k miles after 3 years, and is currently listed in my dealerā€™s inventory being sold as CPO with a listed price SUBSTANTIALLY over what my lease buy-out was. Since I could not get an inspection, I didnā€™t tell my dealer I was doing a lease turn-in and scheduled my routine maintenance/oil change. I have a copy of their multi-point inspection which states all maintenance issues were within the acceptable limits (including tires). When they called to let me know it was ready, I spoke to the manager in charge of lease turn ins and he just took the vehicle from there, I came in and got any belongings out and they gave me the odometer statement. It seemed easy and done. Low and behold, 3 weeks later, I get the report from AutoVIN who inspected the vehicle and says all 4 tires are too worn ($356 x 4) plus my dispo fee plus property tax which I have never been charged on a lease termination for a total over $2100. I called to dispute it and ask how they were able to get an AutoVIN inspection one day after I turned in the vehicle but could not allow me do to so before the turn-in. I have not gotten a response yet and I have a copy of my dealer service department inspection as backup. They sent me some very poor quality thumbnail side photos claiming 3/32 tread depth. It honestly seems incredibly scammy to claim inspections canā€™t happen, then hit customers with charges related to an inspection that they somehow pulled out of their ass.

4 Likes

Yeah, that really sucks. Let me know if anything comes of it. For those that want an update. They basically said I am SOL on the windshield, and I actually agree with them. A chip in the windshield wiper area needs to be replaced. My only qualm is that I was never given the chance to do it. So, I contacted my insurance company Geico and they are currently reviewing the situation. It sounded like there is a chance they might reimburse me for the amount I am being charged which is the $1400. The other charge was for a $500 dent charge in the left front door. I have emailed them the pictures at turn in saying um, what dent. I dont have much hope for Volvo helping out. At this point, its not even worth my time to pursue this anymore. I tried contacting Volvo NA and they basically told me to stfu and contact VCFS and that they have no control over issues with VCFS. VCFS is not very helpful.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in the same boatā€¦

Curious about the Dent? I ASSUME they sent you a picture right? Because dents smaller than an quarter are usually forgiven.

Just got my check, so just under 30 (calendar) days. Once the check clears, perhaps itā€™s time to share the ultimate lease hack and explain how this lease only cost me about $40 bucks a monthā€¦

4 Likes

You lease hacked a Volvo for $40 a month?

Long story short: was having some electrical issues and took the car in for service and apparently a critter got into the wiring. The quote from dealer was insane, so I had to file a claim. Initially they said damage would not cover deductible so I figured I needed to get some more estimates. After a lot of back and forth with insurance and finance co, picked the shop I liked best which ended up being a few k cheaper than settlement amount. Sometimes a little bad luck can be leveraged into a pretty ā€˜epic hackā€™.

No one cares about that part of your story.

Please share the $40/month Volvo lease deal with us.

5 Likes

Maybe you should because that is the story. The delta between settlement and repair cost is how I got to an effective $40 a month payment for life of the lease

If I read that right you rolled an owned vehicle into a $40 lease?

No, the insurance company gave an estimate for $XXXX and OP found a shop willing to do it for $2000 less and pocketed that $2000 (Donā€™t know the exact amount he just said a few k)

These stories about Volvo charging for this wear and tear would have me never wanting to lease a Volvo no matter how good the lease deal.

Aside from that to all those who couldnā€™t get the car inspected because of the pandemic how come you didnā€™t extend the lease a couple of months out??

1 Like

After reviewing the facts, I donā€™t think insurance settlement qualifies as a post lease rebate. Therefore not accepting this as a hack.

A $1 difference in contract and an epic three year lawsuit!!??? Now that is a hack-a-thon

2 Likes

Ok referee ā€” which crew are a part of ā€” the replacements or are Ed hercule of this forum