Good deal or bad?

Not the right place to post that dude…

How so @Ian_Park?

Oh man this is painful. I genuinely thought this was a poor troll attempt when I first read it yesterday, sad that it’s actually real and sadder still that someone is paying Merc GLS money for a Pilot. The kind of metal you could get for this payment is just…

If I was OP, I’d take a trip down to New Orleans this weekend, park it somewhere and let it and that hideous payment float away.

6 Likes

sorry…where should I post it then?

You think that’s a helpful or insightful advise?

1 Like

Should he be canceling GAP?? I know he was taken for but this may be valuable since he owes so much even with paying $850 for it.

I believe in CA, you can cancel these additional contracts anytime for pro rated amount. Hopefully NY is same

Unless some kind of GPS tracker was line itemed in the worksheet and part of the sales price, it shouldn’t be.

I did a deal on an Infiniti where similar to @chrishs2000 Terrain example, I accepted a $200 VIN etching BS add on to get a bigger overall discount/floor cash or whatever it was. At the first service I had the service manager check for where the etching was and it was never put on…when I asked the finance guy he claimed they don’t do any physical etching…its just an insurance policy (sure :roll_eyes:).

1 Like

You are right @Ian_Park, I’ll be more helpful moving forward starting now:

@mjsean32 here is a coupon you can use to wash your car in Queens: https://www.groupon.com/deals/silverpoint-car-care-center-3

1 Like

Dealer provided gap insurance is usually pricier than getting it from your personal auto insurance. It’s required on leases, so it’s an easy upsell at the dealership when signing the contract.

Definitely agree. The point was to ensure he maintains GAP or make sure to swap them out from dealer provided to a cheaper source. Not just to cancel entirely to save some costs.

Correct, however my comment was meant to pertain to true capitalism. I agree 100% our system is far from a true free market.

I thought Honda included GAP?

Honda leases have gap

To me, this crosses the line and is now arguably fraudulent when a dealer sells unknowing customer additional GAP insurance that’s serves no purpose other than enriching their profits.

If Starbucks sells you more coffee than you can drink, is that fraudulent?

4 Likes

It’s not equivalent. It would be more like if Starbucks charged you for extra Rewards card, which is included at no additional charge.

Has the OP explained his thought process as he was signing for the deal? Did you think honda lease for 1k?
Also is OP actually going to follow through with any of the advice here. I am not seeing more follow up from the OP about taking steps to fix this.

1 Like

OP did say he and the wife were nurses, and they are 7/7 so may be in his shift

The first contract shared above is basically like vin etching, it’s an anti theft plan that insures up to $25k towards a replacement car. The remaining question is what the additional $850 gap part is…I’m assuming it’s some kind of enhancement but op needs to share it.

I think any advice for the OP to go back to dealership is reckless; poor guy will walk out with a new Civic for $1,200 a month and add a secondary lojack to the Pilot.

3 Likes