Good deal or bad?

This is the whole and entirety of the situation, if you ask me. If one chooses to spend zero time exploring and learning about a $40k plus decision, well, this can happen.

Edit: it turns into a $50k decision.

4 Likes

doesnā€™t make the salesman any less of an a-hole though

Itā€™s the greatest thread of all time on any forum. I agree with @jiggs1219 , @mjsean32 should eat breakfast everyday until the lease ends at Paragon Honda. And maybe he can use his imagination during his lease and pretend he is driving a Maserati. It is all mind over matter.

3 Likes

This is a lesson for newbies, he really got shafted big time. I just wanna help him reduce the damage thatā€™s been done. I know we make fun of people who posted their swaplease deals with ridiculous payments but this dude asked us and he learned and continuously learning. Iā€™m no expert of Honda leasing coz I really donā€™t like honda leasing coz theyā€™re terrible as it is with incentives and discounts but I think he can remove those
$ 850.00 - Optional vehicle contract ( what is this, GAP?)
$ 2,450.00 - Advance protection ( itā€™s a 3 years vehicle replacement up to $25k only) another GAP?
Can we help him out to get off his lease?

3 Likes

Agreed, who cares about the circumstances, letā€™s figure out what, if anything, can be salvaged from the deal.

5 Likes

@212hackr yeah bro, @mjsean32 really got shafted here and pressured coz of his credit score, but when I did the math, Honda doesnā€™t penalize you on MF even at his lower credit score is 608. it was the advertised MF of .00155. Again not a honda lease expert here. But they used that for the dealership advantage and he didnā€™t know it.

Fwiw I canceled all the following on a vehicle purchase my wife made (LONG STORY) about 3 months after the purchase.

-GAP
-Extended Warranty
-Service Plan

In the paperwork they presumably gave him, there should some sort of contract #'s and contact info. In my case all the optional products were through 1 company so I emailed them with all the specifics they needed and requested to cancel them. Surprisingly about 2 weeks later they refunded a prorated amount directly to the lender as a principle payment.
Hope that helps. My advice is that he does this immediately as to get the most value back.

4 Likes

This is where I net out too. If I get taken, itā€™s my fault.

Sunday, I got absolutely slaughtered by mosquitos. Between Monday and Tuesday, I spent roughly 4 hours reading through reviews, watching videos, and trying to determine the best deterrent for mosquitos. This was for a $150 purchase bc I wanted the absolute best products.

It appears the OP walked into a dealership, did zero research, and was determined to leave this dealership with a car.

When preparation, skill, & luck intersect, a unicorn is born.

When being unprepared, uniformed, and unlucky, a worst lease youā€™ve ever seen is born.

3 Likes

yup this one, I think he can cancel this easily. @mjsean32 find the paperwork for $ 850.00 - Optional vehicle contract (GAP?) that you paid for too and post it here. maybe you can remove that as well.

Thatā€™s worth $2450.00 ughā€¦ take this out immediately

3 Likes

Iā€™m not far from this dealer lolā€¦

Auto scores are usually out of 900, so thatā€™s 53 points below perfect. Still a very good score and heā€™ll qualify for the best tier.

That is not accurate Capitalism is not a zero sum game. There are not winners and losers. Capitalism is the practice of free trade and transactions between two willing parties. Despite the fact that this was a terrible deal like @28firefighter said nobody forced the OP into this deal. In his reasoning despite the price for the car being high it must have been worth it to him or he would have walked out. Should an iPhone costs $1200? Probably not. Am I willing to pay that $1200? Hell yes! Why? Because I get way more than $1200 in value from it. Apple wins and I win. Was this car worth $900? Hell no! but the OP believed it was worth more than that to him or he would have kept that money in his pocket. In a free market price is set by what people are willing to pay for goods and services.

I donā€™t want to get too esoteric, but not quite accurate. Even in our ā€œfree marketā€ things are capped and regulated somewhat. Some states cap doc fees. Some states have caps on maximum interest rates.

There are very few true ā€œfree markets,ā€ and I believe itā€™s probably for the better.

1 Like

$2450 for that? Itā€™s literally useless and not even worth the paper that itā€™s printed on.

Yet OP was presented with this product, shown the price and agreed to purchase it. Thereā€™s no way around that legally. F&I guy probably made a monthā€™s salary on this deal :speedboat:

2 Likes

Yup, when I saw the details of the $2450 advance protection, F&I can take the whole month off. But maybe he can cancel that like what @Mark_H did to his. But again, no idea of how Honda does it.

I just googled this company. It isnā€™t additional GAP insurance, it is GPS theft recovery and vehicle monitoring.

If this was a device physically installed in the car, OP may have a hard time getting out of this one. The whole contract would have to be posted to view though.

EDIT: The companyā€™s website literally says, ā€œInTouch brings dealers a way to manage and protect their lot inventory with powerful GPS tools. It can bring a boost to the F&I department as another source of revenue and has tools to help increase service retention.ā€

1 Like

That BS got mandated by the dealer on our Terrain lease as a condition of them giving us $2k flex cash. However, it was only $299. Which was still $299 more than it was worth.

You ainā€™t much smarter unfortunately.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: 2019 VW Tiguan R-Line deal help

@adk good research, @mjsean32 take a look at this. Iā€™m glad people are helping.

1 Like