Good deal or bad?

I’ll post in an hour his deal. I’ll just clean it up and let’s dissect what he can remove.

Was there a trade involved in this deal. I know there are two bad lease deals we are discussing on the forum and just want to confirm…

There was trade involved, he also got fleeced on that one. I’m about to type it now and let’s see how we can help him

I was thinking about voluntary repo with the lease, do not know how much of credit hit it would be, and go lease another car before for it’s reported… but if there is a trade involved, it would start getting iffy .

Also do not know the impact of the credit score, I know 608 is low, but there are worse… and is the lease in both names? Maybe one of the OP can take the hit.

1 Like

2019 Honda Pilot Ex-L - New York 12k/26 months

$44,775.50 - MSRP -
$ 2,960.45 - Upfront/Other Tax - $2960.45 - What is this?
$ 1,235.00 - Negative equity ( 2012 Toyota Corolla with $5185 balance, trade in for $3950)
I think he could’ve gotten atleast $6,000.00 for that vehicle
$ 595.00 - Acquisition fee
$ 850.00 - Optional vehicle contract ( @mjsean32 what is this, GAP?)
$ 2,450.00 - Advance protection ( it’s a 3 years vehicle replacement up to $25k only) another GAP?
$ 75.00 - Doc fee ( I’m surprised that they didn’t marked it up)
$ 60.00 - initial registration fee

$52,865.95 - Adjusted cap cost ( no discount and incentive on the car)

$24830.05 - RV

• Rent charge or interest is on $5454.54 I assume that’s the max interest honda offers.

Base monthly is $930.29 including tax with $700 DAS

let’s see what we can do here. Deal is done on 6/27/19 so it’s more than 10 days

3 Likes

Doc fee can’t be marked up in ny…it’s law

1 Like

Seems like he can cancel those optional vehicle contract and advance protection. Can he do it for Honda?

1 Like

What add-ons for the EX-L did you get? Just quickly looking at the MSRP on Paragon’s website, it is $40,705.

This is why I hate car salesmen I honestly don’t know how they sleep at night

Dude I’m in Queens too and you got taken advantage of. You better f-ing try to return the car.

I’m going to play devils advocate for two seconds here:

(1) There are bad apples in literally every industry, it is not just car sales. To paint all of them with a broad brush would be a mistake. Does the industry have a reputation? Yes, but the dealer folks we have here on this site have done a wonderful job of changing my views on this.

(2) I’m sure some of this stuff was crap, but you don’t know what the bank stipulated be added to the contract in order to get it approved given the credit situation. It could be some of it, it could be none of it.

(3) Nobody was holding a gun to OPs head. They easily could have walked out and said “I need to think about this” and then come here (or anywhere else) for guidance. That was their choice.

This is a lesson learned to OP and all who read: you are not obligated to sign anything that you don’t want to when it comes to buying a car! Do your research and ask for help!

12 Likes

Go to the dealer every week, take advantage of the free stuff there. Bring it home and sell it on ebay to make some money back.

4 Likes

We might have found’s Ops dealer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The bottom line is he didn’t know any better and they didn’t care…I hope he’s able to get out of it.

1 Like

People are already piling on you.

The fun thing about capitalism is that you have to have losers if you want winners. In this case, OP lost tons of money to the industry so that we the hackrs can go out and win.

In this case, OP chose not to do research. I do research on EVERYTHING I spend my money on. Even phone cases. Ignorance is not a defense and not excusable in any shape or form. I feel bad for him, but he made a dumb choice and has to live with the consequences.

10 Likes

Bingo. Except I really don’t feel bad. :poop:

3 Likes

For every deal like this, a unicorn is born.

It also helps to justify why brokers exist.

8 Likes

I just spit my coffee out and burst into laughter.

Honda Pilot :rofl:

Amazing thread, needs to be pinned until someone comes along with a worse deal.

and this entire forum :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: