GM recalling Bolts for potential battery issue

Just got my battery replaced for my 2020 Bolt last week and an order number was submitted for SOC for my 2022 Bolt.
They said it will take 2-3 months.

The replacement process took 3 days. GM provided a rental through the local Enterprise.

Exchange completed in Aug. GMF account updated at end of December.

GMF can assist with updating the account if you need to buyout before lease end. There is a 11 day grace window for buy out before a one-month extension kicks in.

1 Like

Thanks, would you be a little bit more specific about that 30 day grace period, I’m not quite comprehending.

Thanks, I called and they don’t even have all the paperwork sorted out yet! I’m going to extend the lease for a month to see if that gives them enough time.

GMF will auto extend by one month if car is not returned or bought out by lease end.

1 Like

Did you actually get them to assist with buyout before lease end before vehicle was updated from SOC? I’m in the same situation as @ianb and I called GMF and got a “I’ll put in a request” but mostly wait and see… that was almost 2 weeks ago.

Yes they opened a ticket for me. I told them that the vehicle was switched in August, and my lease was expiring in one week. They contacted the dealership to ensure all docs were sent out.

They rejected my SOC / repurchase stating that my vehicle has no issues and the battery will be replaced as soon as they can. When i insisted to escalate they asked me to contact BBB. Should I contact a lemon lawyer as next step. Thanks

Doesn’t hurt to ask a lawyer if they think you have a case.

I don’t see that you ever shared what year/model Bolt you have. That is going to determine if you are still eligible for a Lemon Law claim in your state (which is?). Otherwise yes, consult a Lemon Lawyer in your state: GM seems to have stopped processing SOCs now that replacement batteries are available.

2021 leased March 2021 in CA, They reduced the range in Feb 2022. I have 13 more months left.

Under Song-Beverly

within 18 months of the vehicle’s delivery to the buyer (or 18,000 miles on the odometer):

• 2 attempts or more have been made by the manufacturer to repair a warranty problem that could result in death or serious injury.
  • The manufacturer has attempted to repair the same warranty problemat least 4 times.
  • The car has been out of service for 30 days or more for repair to warranty problems.
  • Problems to the vehicle are not the result of abuse by the owner.

Your past 18 months — I’m not sure how GM’s announced recall affects the usual terms. Run it by a Lemon Laywer and see what they suggest.

I moved to lemon lawyer after there is no response from trade repurchase team for few weeks. My lemon lawyer says he might be able to settle with gm for $8500. Mine is 2020 chevy bolt ev with 24k miles on it. Is it good amount or people here got more than that and i should be asking more?

From my understanding with a lemon law claim. You may be able to get the $8500 but you’re going to have to give the car back. At least when I discuss that with the lemon law attorney before I did my SOC on my 2021 bolt I decided not to pursue the lemon law claim in California. Additionally, I have no usage fee with the SOC but with the lemon law attorney I would have. I’m not sure what state you’re in or what the rules are. Are you thinking you’ll be able to keep your car as well as the $8500?

Not true. I settled with manufacturer for five figures plus got to keep my car. The settlement was intended to make up for loss in value.

May I ask what state are you in. Because I was advised specifically as I stated by a California lemon law attorney. I too was looking to claim diminished value. I’m glad that it worked out well for you.

In the end I’m extremely happy with the SOC where I exchanged a 2021 bolt LT for a 2023 bolt EUV premier edition with sun and sound.

Awesome, please share ur state, should i ask my attorney to try for more?
Also were u leasing or owning it?

I am in new jersey, i also want to do SOC but since i involved attorney now, its not possible and i was too late to start the process(january 2023 i created case).

I asked attorney to push for soc lets c.

California. I was going to DIY the claim with the manufacturer but super glad I found an attorney who specializes in these cases

5 Likes

Glad it worked out for u