GM recalling Bolts for potential battery issue

6 months ago dealers weren’t interested in giving you anything off their lot. Things may have changed.

I’m just explaining instead of placing a new custom order from scratch and waiting 3 months for it, you can take an order that they already have placed and maybe you’ll only wait a month.

Thats what I did.

1 Like

It counts as a sale and they’re getting full price on it. The dealership gets a check from GM when they sell you the vehicle as part of the SOC. They just have to be willing to go jump through the hoops. My deal went pretty smoothly (in and out in under an hour) and the sales manager seemed pretty pleased with how straightforward the process was.

If it ‘counts’ as a new sale through the dealer, and presumably there will be paperwork drawn up to reflect that…does that mean that someone who swaps during Q1 2023 could be eligible for the $7500 tax credit too? :thinking:

In Texas, dealers get a flat $500 for completing the paperwork of SOC.
That’s from local dealership sales manager, who was fantastic throughout the process.

1 Like

Yeah I’m curious my original sales woman handled my SOC seamlessly. Very attentive and professional as the original purchase. I thought they were accommodating me as a client (I am unsure if they make anything substantial on these transactions)

My assumption comes from snooping all the paperwork in the sales manager’s office, where it appeared that GM would be sending a check to the dealer to buy out the old Bolt and the agreed sales price (MSRP) of the new one. So I’m not sure how all the accounting works on the back end.

This I highly doubt, though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Big thanks to all contributors on these boards. Not possible without the shared wisdom of many good people. Bolt leases were too good to be true at the time, swaps made them even better. Began SOC’s in August, picked up Silverado (base custom) shortly after xmas and Traverse (LT cloth w/ midnight and driver confidence pkgs) today. Many bumps but all worked out in the end. I do wonder if I would have been better off with a lemon law lawyer but have yet to hear actual numbers from those that went that route.

3 Likes

I just did my SOC swap and yes I saw that GM will send the dealership a check. However, they also made me sign a piece of paper, specifically states that “I understand this transaction does not qualify me for any federal rebate, blah blah blah”. So no, not gonna get that $7500 tax credit. This is in San Jose, CA. If you think about it, you are swapping a new car for the existing lease, so why would you qualify for the tax credit? Don’t get me wrong though, if somehow we can get the tax credit, I am all for it. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

When did you start the process? How long did it take?. I opened a case 10 days back. Any guidance as my original dealer is Stevens creek san jose. Still have 14 months left on my lease. Thanks

I started the process back in late Aug. and just received the SOC vehicle last week - so total time was a little over 4 months. Thanks to this forum, I pretty much got all the information I need on the process. The whole process was pretty smooth and easy without much effort from my part. Have you submitted your odometer pictures and leasing/bank documents to GM yet? I think once you have done that and get approved by GM with repurchase/replacement (their wording is a bit confusing as they try not to use “SOC” in all their communications to me, but you can confirm with them over the phone that you want to do SOC), you are goo to go.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response. They were supposed to call me. no paperwork, just a case number as of now. Will follow up.

Best of luck and please keep us updated

Pretty much the same timeline for me

Big thanks to all contributors on these boards. Began SOC’s in August, picked up Equinox (Premium model) in first week of this month against Bolt base model .Lease will end on Feb 2023 , Plan to buy Car at lease end .Not a bad deal drove bolt for three years and will get latest model Equinox at around 20K at lease end .
Thanks again for good work on this forum & God bless you all .

3 Likes

Another thank you and big shout out to this forum. I would’ve never known about SOC if it wasn’t for you.

I took delivery the other day and I’m pleased with my 2023 SUV Redline. My selling dealer sponsored the SOC, and the sales representative was nothing but a true professional. There’s probably 2 1/2 to 3 times the amount of paperwork at closing compared to the original transaction.

Hope everyone who is in the process gets approved and takes delivery of a new vehicle. And kudos to GM for offering this program.

4 Likes

Hey all, did my lease SOC in mid December but GM account info still shows the old Bolt. How long did it take for GM to update your vehicle? Lease is up in 11 days and I’m looking to buy out or flip.

1 Like

It takes like 6-8 weeks before it reflect on your account online. I’m sure you can just call GM financial and let them know you want to buy it.

There seems to be several class action suits against GM regarding the battery issues with the Bolts. Any users in the forum in the legal community?

If we successfully did SOC, would we be able to double dip and become a class member in one of those suits? I’m unsure I’m gonna have to read the final document I signed under the agreement I think it had some language releasing GM of liability.

Link to article that pique my thoughts:

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/10/chevy-bolt-class-action-battery-lawsuit-allowed-to-proceed/

I just looked up the agreement letter and here is the pertinent sentence that I think applies:

Chevrolet will repurchase this vehicle in exchange for the release of liability stemming from warranties, express or implied, covering this vehicle.

Geez — they already went deep into then 5 figures just in reimbursements for me. I can’t imagine how much money they’ve already hemorrhaged (and will continue to) by this time this fiasco is over.

2 Likes

I read an article last night about the 4th new battery plant with LG is paused, ostensibly because GM wants to move forward with someone other than LG. They cited that the cost of the Bolt recalls was $2B and LG is footing the bill for $1.9B. That and a disagreement about unionization/card check (LG dug in and still lost) has soured their relationship.

IANAL but if you signed this for an SOC or repurchase, you have no further claim against them. Similar language (not to GM) in both my lemon law settlements, and that’s how my lawyer explained it to me. But by all means, someone ask the lawyers for the class action to review your agreements.

2 Likes