GM recalling Bolts for potential battery issue

I found my dealer to host the swap last week and put in an order as well. Did your GM rep say anything about the fact that the remedy for the 2020 to 2022 recall might become available during the time you are waiting for your order?

Yes the remedy is the battery replacement.

They said it would null the swap right?

Yes

10 char

Any idea what average wait time is on a gas vehicle order?

In the letter I received from Chevy, Under the replacement clause:

ā€œGeneral motors replace the subject vehicle with a new motor vehicle that is substantially identical to your vehicleā€

I wonder how wide their interpretation is of substantially identical? Iā€™m going from an EV to an EUV. I see no issue there. But for others in this thread have you discussed that with your re-purchase coordinator?

Have not discussed but have read multiple accounts of people swapping into gas vehicles without issue.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the plan, I just ordered a 23 Silverado, they are saying 10-12 weeks. If the battery replacement comes before then itā€™s null and voidā€¦with the current supply chain problems I donā€™t think thereā€™s too much risk of that.

1 Like

Just finished my exchange. Got a gas car with the same lease term. Want to update my experiences to give you some idea if you want to do the MSRP swap.

1. the magic word is ā€œSubstitution of Collateralā€. If using other words, such as MSRP swap, they will give you very unclear answers and likely give you a trade-in and repurchase offer. After mentioning ā€œSubstitution of Collateralā€, everything works and finally got a gas car with the same lease term and some refund for the MSRP difference.
  2. Everything works smoothly as they should be, but the agent didnā€™t give any promise just said everything need to be finally approved by their backend team after all documents are submitted and everything is finished, and it takes a long time (many weeks). For example, rental reimbursement.
  3. The process is very unclear and you need to follow up with both GM and your dealer. For example, GM said they will send a check to the dealer for my MSRP difference refund, but they didnā€™t send and my dealer didnā€™t know they will send such as a check. I have to follow up with both side and finally got the check a few weeks later.
2 Likes

So I have ~4 months left of lease and was planning to extend because I am at very low miles currently and itā€™s easier than initiating a new lease (I commute for school and the lower cost and carpool benefits are crucial) to get my through graduation in June. If I swap into a 23 bolt do you think it would take longer for it to show up? They already seem to be in production and I can max out MSRP at 38.5k which is pretty close to my current 40k. Just concerned how much of a hit I will take when selling when itā€™s around a year old. Thoughts?

Going to put my order in today just waffling between gas and EV.

1 Like

What Silverado trim did you order? Was it over your Bolt MSRP?

Iā€™m in similar situation. Lease ends end of Jan. Iā€™m a little behind you in swap process so let me know what you hear back. Are you in CA?

You can go over MSRP - you just pay the difference out of pocket.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m aware. Was just curious how they decided to spec it.

Yea also in CA. It took 2 weeks to find dealer to host sent him specs today and he said 90 days so we shall see!

1 Like

Order placed! Fingers crossed it goes relatively quickly.

1 Like

23 Silverado Custom 4x4, not much in extras. Yes itā€™s about $5-6k over my Bolt but my lease is up end of Feb and I plan on buying out for my Bolt residual ~$21k so overall should be about $20k ahead.

1 Like

Would check to see how long it would take to get a Duramax due to limited availability.

What Bolt trim did you have and what did you decide to swap into?

Had premier with 40.5k MSRP swapped into an EUV (2lt) with literally everything added for total of around 38.5k, I think if you donā€™t mind the trim you can do one of the redline or whatever they are for a bit more but not positive - if I didnā€™t need an EV probably would have done a Silverado.