Funny Things Dealers Say

A mailer from a local BMW dealer arrived while I was out of town.

The offer I wasn’t supposed to be able to refuse was a $2,000 incentive to “upgrade” to a new 228i. :confused:

1 Like

Did you make an appointment to thank them in-person for this incredible deal on something you could park in the trunk of your 7-series?

2 Likes

I have a service appointment at the other dealer in town on Monday.

Perhaps they can get me into a Vespa.

Funny, I will second that one of the best salesmen I’ve ever had (though he was actually the GM lol) happened to be with my first new Infiniti. He was so good that I actually returned within 14 months to get another.

Other than my a couple of one-offs, the sales experience hasn’t been even remotely desirable. It only, expectedly, gets worse when dealing with GM and/or CDJR dealerships. Audi, Infiniti, Nissan & Porsche are amongst the best I’ve dealt with (speaking generally).

1 Like

4 Likes

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

1 Like

Season 2 Showtime GIF by The L Word: Generation Q

3 Likes

Sounds to me like Supra’s are half-off tomorrow only

1 Like

Give him another vasectomy to establish dominance

1 Like

Sativa or Indica?

Ask, you won’t be disappointed. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

This is probably the only question in the car business where if the answer is “hybrid”

gtfo GIF

2 Likes

Original Frankenstein.

Well played Sir.

This weekend in Mercedes dealer : “ Our management gives sales managers two cars per year we can give discounts for . I don’t mind using one of them for you.” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, there are a few things that you’ve stated below in regards to the numbers that will make it so we can’t work out a deal.

The first is the selling price of the vehicle. We aren’t discounting Tundra Hybrids and your selling price would work out to well below invoice. Secondly, we can’t determine a trade value without seeing the vehicle in person. Lastly, we don’t accept outside financing. All loans must be originated here at the dealership.

If you are flexible in your points and will come into the store to work out a deal then we would be glad to see where things will work out to. If you don’t want to then we completely understand and wish you good luck in getting the vehicle somewhere at your terms.

Let me know what you want to do one way or the other please so I know how to handle your account with us.

This is from a local Toyota dealer. My first instinct was to respond “You know you’re selling Toyotas right?” but instead I did a simple “I’ll be taking my business elsewhere.”

edit: it was a Tundra Hybrid that’s been on the lot over 80 days, I asked for an 11% discount.

Lot rot is a self inflicted condition and if you sell right (right, not scared) it’s not a problem you’ll have as a dealer.

1 Like

Toyota hybrids are like gold. Probably the only thing still commanding msrp. It’s probably still on the lot because they had it marked up. If you want a discount on a pickup, get a Ram

I actually think that’s a pretty decent and straightforward response. He saved you hours by not playing games that would have you at the dealership only to change the terms.

4 Likes

To be fair 11% off is a very bloody deal for the dealer, at least 95%+ of dealers wont be interested in doing that type of deal

A lot of deals you see on this site are huge loss leaders and rare to find

3 Likes

It’s a negotiation…I laid out my numbers and got back the sales manager version of “I know what I got.” I don’t think I’ve ever seen a dealer not allow outside financing, it’s like they’re double, maybe even triple dipping.

Luckily there’s plenty of other Toyota dealers near me.

Sitting in the specific Audi Q8 the salesperson pulled forward for us took us to look at, after stating in the first sentence we were there to see a Q8:

“What sort of price have you set for your budget? Are you aware that these go up to $100,000? Because what some people say they want to drive is beyond what they can buy.”

We reconfirmed, and he told us that most people who buy a new car like this don’t want one with miles on it, so he’d be right back with a used one we could drive.

The inside of this used Q8 was filthy.

Among the oddest car shopping experiences I’ve had.

5 Likes