Funny Things Dealers Say

Had a dealer told me they had fired the internet manager at a competing dealership, the same one who I was using to compare the lowest price!

I had a new one happen today…

Closed a deal on a new car last night. Dealer finance guy called me to upsell options, told him no. Sent over the paperwork to docusign and then he went home.

I’m going through the contract and they snuck in a $295 key replacement.

Spoke the finance guy this morning and was told that’s “added by the manufacturer to protect the nitrogen in the tires” :rofl:

11 Likes

The most stupid thing a dealer told me was that a Base $36k LT1 is same as a corvette so it’s marked up $7k

“I’ve never heard of a money factor…I’ve sold over 500 cars” :nerd_face:

6 Likes

Louder for the people in the back: 99% OF SALES PEOPLE DON’T UNDERSTAND LEASES

3 Likes

Ha! Its one thing to not understand the logic of the contract, but to not know of the term “money factor”…c’mon :man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

What good is a salesperson who knows the word but has zero understanding of what it means or how it functions? I’d rather they don’t allow it into their lexicon it they don’t comprehend it, rather than lying about it.

2 Likes

You have me there lol.

Then again, most manage to sell vehicles with about the same level of knowledge. I could count by the dozens the number of sales employees that know next to nothing about the vehicle they are selling…beyond the colors of the car and the badges it displays. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I personally rarely see any good in a salesperson, “good” or bad, period. All they typically do is introduce additional hassle into the deal and prolong everything.

1 Like

I’ve worked with a small handful that have been wonderful to deal with. They’re definitely in the minority though.

The guy who sold me my Infiniti was outstanding.

When I helped my aunt buy her BMW, the guy was amazing. Also had a great sales guy at a VW dealership when I helped her get a Tiguan.

Every Toyota dealer we visited in San Diego had clueless, pushy, and/or dishonest salespeople… except one, where we had a really diligent, efficient sales rep who took good care of us.

And the guy who sold us the pathetic Lexus RX (can’t blame him for such a depressing product) was excellent.

Of course, the one Toyota experience aside, I haven’t described most of the people that I refused to do business with,

1 Like

On my recent car purchase they added $250 for nitrogen fill. I didn’t care since we agreed on an OTD purchase price via email and they sold me the car at the agreed upon price. But while the finance guy finished with someone else I commented on it and the salesman must have thought I was trying to get them to remove it and went off on the benefits of nitrogen in tires. Eventually, I just told him “wow, I didn’t know how important a nitrogen filled tire was, thank you.”

The economics of selling cars doesn’t make sense for an average to below average salesman at a mainstream brand. It is just not a good job so most people don’t do it long enough to learn it. Selling cars is a stressful job with bad hours and inconsistent pay.

1 Like

Yah, but did the $250 nitrogen fill come with a new key fob? :thinking:

Of course, how else would one unlock the valve stems? Surely, something as valuable as nitrogen would be kept under lock & key.

2 Likes

No, but I probably should have just bought one when I got the car. My wife has an expensive habit of loosing key fobs :see_no_evil:

1 Like

My dog ate one once :frowning:

2 Likes

That one you can get back.

3 Likes

You would be surprised by how much info is hidden by management. The philosophy is that the less you know, the less trouble you can get into. It is much easier for a new hire to get an offer for $x/mo, than spend time discussing money factor and credit tiers.

2 Likes

I don’t see an issue with that, if the follow up statement by the salesman is “I need to get that info from the manager” or something like that, rather than “the mf on this one is 6! That’s better than I could get and I work here!”

2 Likes

I don’t disagree with you but getting that info makes management inform the sales person on leasing structure, which goes against management’s monopoly on information. I also can’t tell you how many times when someone asked that info at Audi and the manager just spit out a stupid number, either an APR or an impossible figure like .009. It is easier for a lot of sales people to just use stupid word tracks and work a deal than deal with an a-hole manager. Unfortunately that is just the culture at some old school dealers.