Funniest/most ridiculous dealer replies you've ever gotten

Yeah that’s why I was pleasantly surprised. Upfront and no harassing me after I left. They get enough ppl coming in paying over msrp so they don’t need my business. I can respect that.

1 Like

Paying over MSRP? I have personally seen that in Real Estate but I am surprised a depreciating asset gets sold over list price …of course, I am not talking about the rare limited editions.

Current Palisade and Telluride Owners have entered the chat.

5 Likes

I’ve got one in my driveway. I didn’t pay anywhere near msrp.

2 Likes

Looked into getting a Gladiator when they were leasing like crazy. Had one CDJR dealer tell me they couldn’t give me a basic quote without running my credit. Sales manager said he and his salesperson would lose their jobs if they even gave me “ballpark figures.” 5 other dealers gave me quotes instantly.

Went from opening the door, offering me cheap coffee and donuts to getting kicked out.

Apparently the rumors about Jeep dealers were true.

An exchange I had with a Chevy salesperson just this morning. It was through email, so I can’t easily screenshot it, but this is it copied and pasted.

Salesperson: We are not giving quotes right now via E-Mail and/or phone. I’ll tell you why! You need step into my shoes as a salesman and realize that if I give you a quote over the phone all you need to do is call another dealership and have them try to beat my quote. If you are serious and ready to make a deal, and want our best absolute price come down to our dealership and show me you are ready to make a deal and drive this car off of our lot. We are getting many inquires on this vehicle and it is first come, first serve. So let me know what time and day works best for you to come on down to our dealership and lets get down to business!

Me: Please let me know if you definitely aren’t interested in working on this through email and I will move on. Thanks.

Salesperson: Did you get a quote on this vehicle yet? If so, can you tell me what the best quote you got and the MSRP to that vehicle?

Me: I have a quote at the moment. Will let you know details after I sign.

Salesperson: If I could beat that quote, would we have a deal?

Me: I don’t play those games. I don’t make salespeople bid against each other. Either it is your best offer or it isn’t. If you give your best offer, you wouldn’t have to worry about anybody underbidding you.

Salesperson: No problem sir, enjoy your new vehicle!

:joy:
So he doesn’t give quotes because he thinks I’ll shop his deal, but he wants me to shop other salespeople’s deals. And even when I prove I won’t do that, he bails.

18 Likes

Was this a guy named Daniel in Brooklyn?

3 Likes

1 Like

Sounds VERY familiar…

1 Like

So you know him! LOL! I was going to call out by name but resisted. Guess it wasn’t necessary anyway. Haha

4 Likes

“Show us you want this car by coming on down here.”

WTF. Requesting a quote is not = interest in the car, in this salesperson book.

1 Like

I would have responded with something on the lines: " You should be able to easily sell this car given the amount of interest." :joy::joy::joy:

The replies I got from him were hilarious. I actually started to feel bad at a certain point and I just dropped it. Then a month later he called me to follow up and did the exact same stupid dance with his buddies on the phone flat out lying to me. It made absolutely no sense at all. I made it very clear that he was talking out of his ass and that I knew that he was talking out of his ass and he still couldn’t stop. He threw some ridiculous number out there on the phone and I said that even at full sticker price those numbers you are giving me are wrong and it should be around 40 a month cheaper than what you are quoting me. Him: “Oh so if I can offer you 40 a month less than we have a deal?” Me: “NO, I’m simply pointing out that you are just throwing random numbers at me that make no sense whatsoever”.

3 Likes

At least they didn’t tell me that they couldn’t give me pricing over the phone because of “discrimination” like another dealer in Pennsylvania told me :roll_eyes:

1 Like

oh, more details are needed on that one.

That was really it. The guy said he’d call me back and I don’t think he ever did. It was something to the effect of not being allowed to quote me less than MSRP because it would be discrimination to do so. I almost want to tell Daniel about Leasehackr and suggest that he join as a dealer. He could easily be the new Utz Factor.

3 Likes

Did you meet his cousins in NJ and MA? Same type of template.

2 Likes

Found one last night that had a great price advertised, it had a button to start the process. I clicked… went through the whole process. It calculated my incentives correctly and (here is the kicker) calculated my state tax and DMV correctly.
Salesperson reaches out this morning introducing himself, blah, blah, blah.
Couple hours later, here is what transpired:
SP: Please know that vehicle has actually been sold. Is this the only vehicle you are interested in?
Me: Of course. Nope, your only other unit is too expensive. Thanks.
SP: Please forgive me I have just been informed that the vehicle is not sold but we do not do New Jersey leases here at our dealership.

Ok… so, let’s break this down … your website allows for all the info to make an NJ deal, and when the car is “sold,” you can offer me a different car. But now you can’t work with NJ. Hmmmm… how about this explanation? Your SM realized the discount was screwed up (nearly 10% pre-incentive) and didn’t want to honor the deal. You thought you could bump me into the more expensive model. When I balked, you realized you aren’t getting my business anyway and I would see when the other one is NOT taken down from your site, so you came up with a different excuse. Am I getting warm?

7 Likes

I guess NJ MVC being a disaster at the moment might be an excuse for some dealers? But yeah… is the more expensive one loaded to the gills with a bunch of dealer accessories?

1 Like

If the cheaper car in question is the one I think it is, I think someone goofed trying to fix the website pricing and now they are offering a 100% discount PLUS $1,000 in customer cash.

4 Likes