Formula One 2022!

Well bottas to Alfa and Russel to merc, this is the happiest I’ve been since Ricardo won Monaco.

1 Like

Russell to Mercedes should be interesting but we literally replaced the coolest Finn in F1 history with the most boring one. As for the rest of the grid I find it funny that Mercedes won’t allow Alex Albon to have a seat at Williams unless he’s dropped by Red Bull, yet they have no problem sending a Mercedes driver to a Ferrari powered team.

1 Like

Because it suits them. Cant dump bottas into dtm like Albon. Side note, you think Horner and Red Bull will drop him to let him move to Williams.

Side note, I’ll miss Kimi, living highlight reel, from going to his yacht in Monaco, bankrupting lotus, and the classic Kimi responses.

Honestly I would have dumped Tsunoda and brought back Albon. Red Bull is a total mess outside of Verstappen when it comes to drivers. I feel bad for Gasly. He gets demoted and has done everything he could possibly do to redeem himself, and more. But he’s stuck on the Junior team no matter what now. Kvyat was better than Tsunoda too. The rap on Kyvat is that’s he’s fast but accident prone, so you replace him with a guy who is slower and just as accident prone? Aside from trying to appease Honda it makes no sense.

Which doesn’t even matter considering Honda’s exit…

I do feel bad for gasly, mans a legend for his win at monza last year. I’m actually considering going to the f1 race this year but still mulling throwing that much of my stipend at the ticket cost. Albons’s win in dtm looked good, made a convincing case for a driver many dismissed.

1 Like

Albon will get another bite at the apple somewhere because he brings sponsors, at least he has that working for him. I’m really trying to get to a race next season, it’s probably between Canada and Miami depending on border crossing capability by then. Austin is too far. They need to bring back Watkins Glen.

are we still guessing? lol I had to google and its Patrese right?

I vote Montreal - only race I have been to when I lived there. The atmosphere in the city is amazing…
I also got to drive on parts of the track on the island during the year…20 years ago so its getting all blurry.

1 Like

Correct!!…

I really want to go to Montreal but I have a feeling it’s going to end up being Miami because we have friends that moved down there. Either way, it should be a fun weekend.

2 Likes

Some pre release notes on Shumi

Speaking of him did this classic techno tune ever make it to this side of the Atlantic?

1 Like

Did not think it would actually happen. RB junior switches to MB junior seat?

1 Like

It seems like RB still has some control over his future since the article says RB retains some options after his 1yr contract. But I hope to see Albion and Schumacher move up after the 2022 season and Norris to a top tier team if McLaren sucks with the new platform.

1 Like

So did anyone else watch it yesterday? I enjoyed it but it wasn’t without it’s issues. I don’t think you can really “spoil” a documentary since it’s about stuff that already happened, plus I don’t think anyone was really expecting any mind blowing revelations about his health and current condition.

The biggest issue I had was the overall pacing. After the first Ferrari championship they just kind of glossed over the rest of his career, like they ran out of room or something. They didn’t really spend that much time on the battles with Damon Hill and virtually nothing on Jacques Villenueve (man, he gets crapped on by everyone, doesn’t he?). I think the problem is that while fast and good, Mika Hakkinen just isn’t really an interesting enough rival to focus on for such a majority of the film. In fact, Schumacher’s most interesting rivals (Hill, Villenueve and Alonso) are the ones who managed to beat him, and then there’s the rivalry we were robbed of (Senna).

I found the treatment of Senna interesting as they seemed to try to show Schumacher as a hard charging newcomer who was faster than the established star when in fact the McLaren Senna had was a dog of a car at that point with a terrible engine. The Williams he had was crippled by the rule changes that year and was still being sorted out at the time of his death. Hell, the car is what killed him. The documentary seemed to suggest that Senna died pushing the limits to stay ahead of Schumacher at all costs when in reality it was a faulty steering column that killed him. On that topic, I could have done with a little less up close graphic footage of that too. I get that they were trying to humanize Schumacher and show the danger and fear of death that he grappled with. I think there was probably a more tasteful and respectful way of doing it, especially given Schumacher’s own family and the way they guard his appearance and condition. I didn’t need to see Senna’s head and face pretty clearly on a stretcher when it’s been established that he was already at least brain dead at impact.

Finally, I would have liked to have seen more from past and present drivers regarding his impact and influence on the sport. Seeing Vettel was a given, but what about Hamilton? They are tied in terms of titles and Hamilton is on the cusp of surpassing his total. Does it diminish Schumacher at all to have Hamilton reflect on that chase, how difficult it is to do what Schumacher and him have done and what Schumacher means to him? I don’t think it does and I’m pretty sure Hamilton would have done it. What about Alonso? They seem to have had a fierce but respectful rivalry and there’s probably nobody better to tell you what it took to go head to head with him. That overtake in Suzuka is iconic for a reason. Not only that, Alonso brings everything full circle with Flavio Briatore, as well as trying to stand in the giant shadow Schumacher cast over Ferrari once he retired. Perhaps this should have been a multi part series instead of trying to cram everything into two hours. That’s something I’d love to see!

1 Like

I honestly stopped half way (after the 94/95 championships) to sleep and not so interested in finishing it anytime soon…Especially after reading your comments but I agree wholeheartedly about everything you said…
The Senna movie was head and shoulders superior to what I have seen in this documentary thus far and yeah I admired both drivers.

1 Like

It seems like they tried to do it in a similar style to the Senna documentary, however the problem is that at least in the way he is depicted here Schumacher is nowhere near as transcendent or interesting as Senna was. Senna’s duality is fascinating. He was ruthless enough to put his car through his chief rival’s in order to secure a championship, yet he was humane enough to champion the poor of Brazil, as well as park his car in the middle of a track to attempt to save the life of a driver in danger. It made absolutely no sense in a lot of ways but it’s part of what makes him a revered legend. Schumacher was a lot less complex. He was equally ruthless but there’s no real evidence of that other side really existing in him. That’s not a knock on him but it does make for less compelling storytelling. I’m sure that there’s a lot more beneath the surface that a good filmmaker could unearth but they would most likely not be granted the same level of access by his family. The most interesting part of the film to me was seeing Flavio Briatore running around like he saw a ghost rushing to beat Schumacher to the podium in Imola to warn him about celebrating his victory, in wake of what had happened. If it’s not easy to tell by now I’m a huge Senna fan but I do respect the hell out of Schumacher for what he accomplished. I’m trying not to let any of that taint my opinions but it’s still really hard for me to wash the taste of the Imola scenes out of my mouth. I don’t really see why they felt the need to dwell on that as much as they did. Virtually anyone watching that movie knows what happened that day. Using Schumacher’s on board video of the moments before the crash and cutting away to talk about it further would have been more than enough to explain what happened, and would have been much more respectful.

Shall we reopen this thread as we start the 22 season.
So happy to see Ferrari competitive again.

2 Likes

and hopefully Haas keeps this shit up for the rest of the season

2 Likes

We are so f@#$ing back…

3 Likes

Yessir…got myself back into it by watching drive to survive. Can we chance subject of thread to Formula 1 2022 or something…
Very happy for Haas / Magnussen as well…wondering how are they going to get funding after kicking the Russians out ?

1 Like