Formula One 2022!

He just seems to be snakebitten at that track. That was heartbreaking. It played out like some kind of Christopher Guest Ferrari movie on TV though. “Let’s check in on the team radio as Charles takes the car on the track for the first time since the crash!” Team Radio: “No! No! No! No! No!”

Speaking of random bad luck that seems to follow like a black cloud.

Botas and Mercedes pit team :clown_face:

That was brutal, almost as brutal as the team throwing him under the bus afterwards claiming that he missed his mark.

1 Like

Russel Mercedes drive 2022?
LOL

1 Like

I’m convinced mercedes are torturing Botas in some weird long elaborate German BDSM thing, that man goes through way too much and he’s way too skilled to be shut down so much; but what do you do when your teammate is MJ/Lebron caliber.

Bend over and sing the 50 states I guess…

2 Likes

some uncharacteristic rumblings coming out of Merc after this weekend. Lewis when asked if there was lots to learn from the weekend “For me personally, no. The team, for sure.”

Been watching since 2014 and haven’t heard something like that from Lewis before.

3 Likes

It might be Russell, but it probably won’t be Mercedes. Rumor is that Mercedes will be leaving the team as an owner and will sell their shares to Ineos, which will rebrand the team as Ineos Grenadier. They have supposedly already bought Toto Wolff’s shares and are looking to buy Mercedes out too. Mercedes will just be an engine supplier. For the record, Ineos was rumored to be STRONGLY behind the idea of telling Hamilton to kick rocks and just sign Russell for a fraction of the cost. Makes sense that he only got a one year deal now.

Look man, I’m just here for the s :b:inalla memes.

1 Like

1 Like
4 Likes

I’m excited to see this but I’m sure it’s going to be a total puff piece, given the level of access the filmmakers seem to have received with his family. Will there be any light shed on his current condition? Doubtful. Will they touch on some of the less impressive elements of his dominance? The dirty and unsafe driving battling Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve? I doubt it. Will they address the rumors of cheating that surrounded his Benetton years? If Senna says he heard what he believed to be traction control on his car, I believe him. The Senna documentary had some similar blind spots but what I liked about it was that they showed Alain Prost as the guy in the room willing to call Senna out for believing that he was immune to consequences because he was favored by God. Sadly, Prost was ultimately proven right in that regard but they didn’t shy away from that. Perhaps in a way Senna was right, since he’s the one who is the immortal despite Prost’s more impressive resume, at least at a glance. TL;DR: Schumacher was brilliant and I’m sure the documentary will remind us of that while avoiding any of the current and past circumstances that actually made Schumacher interesting. I feel that 20 years from now we’ll be in the same boat with Hamilton, unless Max pulls this off and George Russell proceeds to eat Lewis’ lunch for the next few years. It will be hard to gloss over any of that.

1 Like

I’ll be watching it. It may not answer a lot of questions or address all the controversies, but that would probably require an hour for every season of his career.

1 Like

Know who I really want to see a documentary on? Nelson Piquet. That guy doesn’t get nearly enough credit, as a champion as well as an innovator in the sport. Plus he was a total dick in a lot of ways, which made him really hilarious and entertaining. It takes a special kind of guy to get away with calling Ayrton Senna “The taxi driver from Sao Paulo”. But then he went out there and did a legitimate power slide in an F1 car to overtake him! His constant trolling of Nigel Mansell was so unnecessary but also not entirely wrong either. Overall he was just an incredible character in the sport.

2 Likes

Really refreshing to see F1 aficionados here in the US.
Quiz @ElectricEliminator do you know whose car I am sitting in my profile pic? (End 80’s)

2 Likes

I had to cheat a little… is that Gerhard Berger?

Yes. That’s his car that won Monza in 1988…a feat back then for Ferrari. Car was proudly on display at a very famous Italian body shop in Brussels (where I lived at the time)

2 Likes

Another piece of F1 trivia: who’s the first driver to start 200 GP?

Damn thats a tough one. is it Ricardo Patrese? or Berger? Alesi? I remember its one of those side kick / number 2 drivers for sure.

I was gonna say Patrese or De Cesaris

It is indeed one of those 3