Fords-electric-mustang-inspired-suv-will-come-with-2-years-of-charging-included

Did you read one article where they say that one of the driving modes offers piped-in sound??? ON AN EV?!?!?!?!

Didn’t watch the live reveal, but the specs seem quite good. And, pop-out door handles aside (sorry, I think those are death traps), I still trust a Ford a teensy bit more than a Tesla. The Model Y is not yet here, so, while not a game-changer, I imagine this car will be respectable all around.

1 Like

This includes Tesla’s BS savings that the consumer will “see”. It’s actually $48k.

2 Likes

You are correct…i hate they do that.
About the Ford…it will start with the First Edition that will come to dealer lots late 2020 and will start at $60k. GT to follow in spring 2021…no mention when base will be available. I’m afraid Ford is pushing this too slow and is underestimating just how much the Y will affect its sales.

I need to see this and the I-Pace side by side to see if i can tell them apart.

2 Likes

I like it. Hate the huge screen in the interior though. I like knobs and switches and dislike having to look at a screen. That thing will blind you at night!

If the interior looked better I’d seriously consider it.

Honestly all this does is remind me how crap the E-tron range is

1 Like

Why do people keep saying this stupid thing? It auto adjusts to low light and you can adjust it too…don’t you have a pc monitor at home?

300 miles is plenty. Where this car maybe missed the mark a bit is DCFC and maybe price…probably efficiency is not as good either.

Well etron range is 200, so not plenty at all

1 Like

Sorry but dimming that bright thing isn’t the only issue. Your eyes are exquisitely sensitive to light, especially white/blue light. That’s the reason pilots fly with dim red lights. I won’t get into the science of it but night vision requires rods which are blinded by even the dimmest white/blue light.

Besides that, the giant screen is just ugly. My current car has a small touch screen but all the knobs and buttons are perfectly positioned on the dash to be used without taking my eyes off the road. Try doing that with a giant computer screen then putting your eyes back on the road at night. Just dumb

I don’t share your view on this. You may be too old to get on board with this but the next generation, the one that has their heads buried in tablets all day long, will eat this up faster than you can press your buttons. I’m not that young anymore but even i’m starting to dislike small screens but i see your point, it sure can be distractive.

2 Likes

Ok Boomer :grin:

5 Likes

I think focus groups tell car manufacturers to make bigger screens and less buttons. Obviously Ford cares very little (zero) what I think but I’m the actual target buyer. I don’t think millennials are buying 50-60k cars. I would have very much considered this car since it’s basically exactly what I’m interested in for my next ride (solid performance, electrification, more interior space, suv ride height, good exterior). But I just can’t get over those two hideous screens, both with bright white backgrounds. Just ugly and that’s what you look at most in the car you drive

Who does buy $50-60k cars?

1 Like

Pfffft for many millennials*, they are entitled to 50-60k cars. As long as they can get approved for the monthly payment they can afford it!

*full disclosure I am technically a millennial, albeit an early breed.

You may be able to change background color. Would surprise me if you couldn’t

I do agree, however, about hating the look of a big monitor sitting there. The model 3 has the worst interior on the road, imo. This is obviously just copying it.

1 Like

That’s my point, by the time this car rolls into dealerships, “millennials” will be 40 something soccer moms who don’t feel attachment to exhaust smells.

2 Likes

Wiki says millennials were born from 1981-1996. Older millennials are almost 40. Plenty of them have the means to buy expensive vehicles. Plenty more don’t but buy expensive vehicles anyhow.

I agree with this. Why give Tesla a chance to roll out a competing product. Tesla already has plenty of people paying 50k-100k for their vehicles. They therefore have a built in audience for the model Y.

Whereas Ford needs to sell the Mach E almost exclusively to a people who don’t own a Ford product already since the only people paying 50k+ for a Ford are F-150/250 owners. I Don’t see many of them making a jump to electric (short of electric f-150).

So you are not a CA resident then? Computer geeks here make alot of money pretty early on. From my personal observations, it seems like the people driving Teslas are either quite young or retirement age. You see, this $50k can mean alot of money in some states and not that much in others.

Wait…what?! You guys were talking about me all this time and i didn’t even know it! had no idea it goes to early 80s.

The one thing Ford has over Tesla is the fed credit. Petty much on all versions the Ford will be 1-3k cheaper. This will sell in Focus EV numbers until mid 2021.

1 Like

That does help. If I were Ford I would consider looking for a way to sell the fusion energis on hand at a lose but without using up any more of their EV tax credit. They need the Mach E to be successful while the fusion energi is already scheduled to be phased out. Not a big deal but selling through their stock of Energies could easily cause them to lose the full credit a quarter early.

These are the sale numbers by month for the Fusion E for this year. With numbers this low Ford has nothing to worry about.
557 573 611 585 605 675 720 620 700

As far as the interior design goes, I don’t believe for second that the drive for digital systems and infotainment with a reduction is driven by style or market desires. I think manufacturers are pushing it because it allows them in the long run to increase replacement parts, deliver updates to software, and to eliminate manufacturing complexity by removing all those buttons, dials, and switches.

This is a form over function type of situation.

I personally find that analog dials and buttons are superior for ease of use compared to tablet screens/swiping because you don’t have to pay as much attention to the selections and screen and can quickly navigate with tactile feedback.

I am a millennial (before I get the “Ok boomer” treatment :P).

I like the looks of the Mach E. I hate the usage of the name Mustang with it.

2 Likes