Fords-electric-mustang-inspired-suv-will-come-with-2-years-of-charging-included

“Mustang Mach-E,” actually…

It’s a stupid name. Ford is also ruining the great ‘Puma’ nomenclature by slapping it on a CUV when it used to be a sexy, cheap little coupe in Europe. See also: Mitsubishi leveraging the last tiny vestiges of their credibility by calling their latest shitbox SUV the ‘Eclipse Cross’

I hate it. Just invest in some marketing and come up with a name. It’s not fucking hard. Lincoln is coming up with the goods so why can’t the parent company?

1 Like

Top trim…specs below Model 3 Performance is exactly what i was expecting from Ford.

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/custom/MachE-6.png

Is it just me or this interior is a mix of Model S and 3 pasted into a Ford?
View Ford Mustang Mach-E images from our Ford Mustang Mach-E Revealed photo gallery.

3 Likes

Yep, probably for the best though. The new Explorers interior is very underwhelming. Minimalist interior is easier for Ford to pull off.

In fairness, I’d be more willing to buy a Ford than a Tesla. At least they have dealerships to service the cars. They also have a century of experience making cars which I guess should help the quality… hopefully. Also, Ford doesn’t have Tesla’s cache, which one would expect to result in much lower selling prices on these cars.

3 Likes

In theory…yes. But the roll out of that aforementioned new Explorer has been a disaster from a quality perspective. It’s going to be interesting to watch this car develop. I actually don’t hate what I’ve seen of the styling so far and it fits what the market is demanding perfectly. If they can actually pull it off.

2 Likes

I am somewhat there with you, although I think all the mustang parts in the lights and such detract from it. I don’t understand forcing a mustang connection that has no reason to be there.

2 Likes

Haha yeah, I chose not to get into that can of worms. But Ford really screwed up quality control on new explorer. Giving them the benefit of doubt on quality.

I haven’t seen the new explorer but it’s interior quality has been pretty roundly criticized by auto review magazines. The problem is the price point. The top of the trim has a 58k MSRP. Whereas a top off the line Palisade cost 47 and has a far nicer interior. The Ford does have 74 more HP, but that’s a steep price premium for an inferior interior and more power on a family hauler. Also, the new MDX comes out next year and should be in a fairly similar price range.

I have to imagine that ford moved the interior and such on the explorer down market to clearly differentiate between it and the aviator

I agree with the dealer network part…i can see how that may ease some service concerns for some…but i have no idea what you are thinking on the other 2 points. Ford has poor quality and reliability ratings for pretty much anything but trucks in US (Ford EU for some reason has it better). As for cost you can see for yourself…the cheapest version starts at 43.8k which is above Model 3 and Y.

The Escape is getting similar (but not as intense) complaint from car mags. Highest trim level can top out at $37K, I think, and the reviews say that the interior is not substantially different from lower-level models (and it’s not like the interior was exceptional at the lower price, to begin w/).

Yeah, the problem is that, at least w/ the Corsair, the top trim levels apparently exceed MSRP of the performance German SUVs (!!!). Not sure how the Aviator compares to the Germans.

The Y is cheaper by… $100. And, I forgot, does Tesla have a no-haggle policy?

1 Like

For cost, I’m assuming the Ford entry model mach e will come better equipped than the Tesla. Ford can also offer the full federal rebate while Tesla has almost no federal rebate quota left. Finally, Ford dealers bargain and have quotas to hit. Tesla sells car at MSRP (granted MSRP changes a lot). So overall I think the Mach e is gonna be significantly cheaper than the Model Y.

My quality endorsement of food was very qualified. If it thought they made good cars I would have considered buying one of them. But I agree, quality is poor except for their trucks.

That is giving them the benefit of the doubt. Could also just be cost cutting measure, which I think is the case. I also think Ford made the right call. The have huge guaranteed sales of the Explorer police model. Then the demographic who buys an Explorers probably does not care about what auto magazines say. The previous model continued to sell well despite being relatively uncompetitive in it’s class. Why bother aiming for the Palisade now when you can sell almost as many cars and spend far less in development and production costs.

You are correct…for now…since that is not the cheapest version the Y will have. There won’t be any haggling on the Ford either…not for the first year at least. I can’t wait to see it at LA Auto…looks interesting!

No, but to be fair, many new models don’t have much wiggle room, esp SUVs. :wink:

I think EV SUVs make a lot of sense, but I still don’t quite “get” the whole “coupe” SUV thing…

2 Likes

I absolutely hate that they are pimping out the mustang name on an SUV. FOR SHAME.

Ford should release the Escape PHEV (which seems to be similar in size to this Mach-e?) asap. I firmly believe there is a correlation between buyers going hybrid, plug-in hybrid, full EV.

That might be my own bias - I’m not quite ready to make the jump to full EV, pretty much due to unfounded fears that I might just suddenly decide to go on a long roadtrip and don’t want to think about range. Yes it’s irrational but car buying in general is irrational.

A PHEV like a RAV4, CRV, Escape is a logical stepping stone to trying out the EV life. Ford should be encouraging anyone and everyone to buy the Escape PHEV with the knowledge that they’ll likely be able to convert those buyers to the more expensive Mach-e when it comes time to change/return lease/upgrade.

Roadshow broke the embargo. Here are photos of the GT model in Grabber Blue; the trim differences make all the difference!

I suppose it’s consistent with Mustang history. The base, high-volume models have always looked like crap (e.g., V6 Convertible from Avis), but the potential is there.

1 Like

This thing confuses me so much

1 Like

Did anyone else watch the live reveal? It was unbearable to watch. It was so terrible and overdone that I couldn’t stop watching.

They claim over and over that this thing is a ground breaking game changer…except that the Model 3/S/X already exist. Absolutely nothing new here. Their biggest brag is that it also has a small screen in front of the steering wheel :man_facepalming:

Over/under on the first recall? I give it 9 weeks.

2 Likes