Ford Mustang Mach-E -- MY23 Order Banks are Open

Yes we drive our EVs locally 99% of the time and have no need to get more range.
My Lightning EPA lists 231 miles; but in reality gets 260-290 miles of urban jungle range in Los Angeles traffic.

Because of my short commute, I don’t need to charge every day.

Charging once a week at home at off peak rates ($0.21 kWH) makes it much cheaper than running an ICE at $5/gallon.

Also helps that we don’t suffer from winter / cold weather range loss living in So Cal.

1 Like

Nooooo doubt…and has for me as well (i.e. a myriad of i3 and Bolts). But those cars were not good for the1% case (the longer trip). So…I always felt like we needed an ICE (especially in an emergency such as a hurricane). We got caught with that in 2017 (had two i3 with REX) but still rented an ICE to evacuate. The REX didnt carry enough gas to get anywhere. I got very lucky to be able to get that rental (as all cars were gone).

1 Like

Same here in FL, but AC in summer will
suck down some juice! Gas here is in the low $3s for 87 and power is now (unforunately) around $0.16 kWh all in. It was around $0.013 until very recently.

I still charge the EVs daily…If they get to a low state of charge and I NEED to make out of the ordinary travel (for whatever reason), Ill be stuck. Ive been a big accepter of EV having had quite a few, but the achilles heel remains recharge rate. Its less of a range concern now…but thats still there.

1 Like

Same weather here in So Cal - we use the A/C much more than the heater.
Cabin heating sucks more juice than running A/C so that’s good point.

As for recharge rates, if I am on a road trip, I will stop at Electrify America or EVGo 350kW fast chargers and get back on the road in less than 30 minutes.

I think the fast chargers are in need of more distribution - they are not as convenient as gas stations on every corner…

I had a single pay 2020 Bolt that I sold
like 2021 like an imbecile. I should have kept that car to the bitter end and logged all those extremely low cost miles. That was a damn good commuter car.

1 Like

That for sure… and honestly in my conversations with people who are not “EV savvy”, if they can’t refill the car in five minutes, they are not interested. Theres huge resistance to the very very slow (even at Superchargers) refueling rates. This is a technical reality that will eventually need to be overcome. If EVs weren’t so much more efficient in their use of fuel, they would literally
make no sense at all.

i’m not commenting on the well to wheel efficiency here…just the efficiency of the process to convert locally stored energy (gas tank or battery) to forward momentum😁

1 Like

If one order in September then he is not getting price protection, x plan and option cash ? Correct?

Only options cash.

Only getting 2k Option Cash.

If ford wants to sell volume they’ll need to incentivize the MME, especially the higher trims that do not qualify for fed rebate (or pass on lease incentive).

I don’t know why anyone would get MME over tesla for trims that do not qualify for the fed rebate. And those are more similar to MY in terms of specs.

1 Like

Yes, Ford needs to get into passing the tax credit back to the customer for their Red Carpet Leases.
Especially the higher trims that don’t get the credit (Premium AWD ER, CR1, GT, GTPE)
Now, it’s not worth it to go with Ford’s RCL because they are keeping the credit for themselves.

Ford is not mass producing MME the way Tesla produce M3 and MY. Ford cant even keep up with a small numbers they producing. They going to stay with the conservative approach they have now. If they follow Tesla model then good luck getting your MME in less then 2 years. Ford is happy selling there trucks and explorers.

Oh but Ford is making lots of MME - 150,000 rolled off last month.

My MME took 9 months but it’s almost here!

It currently isn’t in Fords interest to mass produce EVs at Tesla scale(even if they could). Ford doesn’t make any money on EVs at the moment. EV production cost have gone sky high. To the point where a Mach E cost $25k more to produce than a Ford Edge. Legacy automakers will slow roll production on purpose, until profit margins are there. ICE will drive profits for many years to come.

That is over the lifetime of Mach E production. Tesla sold more Model Y’s than that in 2022 in just US alone(produced more). The production levels are not even close. Legacy automakers have a very long road ahead to scale EV production.

2022 (US sales)
Mach E - 28,089
Model Y - 191,451

1 Like

I agree its not fair to compare Tesla with any legacy manufacturer. Tesla business model is so different then Ford or GM or BMW… Tesla dont have a network of dealrships where cars can just sit and rot for months. So far once the VIN is assigned, its shipped and delivered to consumer. They not holding on to inventory. But that got changed once IRA regulations came out. People started canceling orders and I was one of them. Inventory was not moving so Tesla find itself in an uncharted territory.
So Musk decided to cut the price to move the inventory and same time put pressure on legacy manufacturers to follow the same. Not easy for Ford to follow the same since they already loosing 25k per unit , they cant afford to loose more just to compete with Tesla. Tesla brand is like iPhone, widely available in the world and must have it.
I am waiting for my MME Select RWD ordered in September but keep looking at M3 RWD if its gets the lease credit or a bigger price cut like MY.

1 Like

None of us will know for sure until Tesla clearly states it, but I would guess they will apply the tax credit on the lease in the same way they did the recent “delivery credits”. In other words, they will apply it as an MSRP reduction and not a true rebate. If that happens, the person leasing the car will get a residualized benefit of the tax credit, but not all of it during the lease term.

If they decide to apply it as a full rebate, game on! It will be absolute mayhem with orders, and everyone will want to lease. $7500/36 = $208/mo on the credit alone.

1 Like

How the jeep 4xe applies the $7500 EV credit on the lease ?
Different then Tesla ?

Jeep’s $7500 lease incentive is applied as a cap cost reduction lowering the price of the vehicle.

Different then Tesla which is straight out reduction whether you lease or finance.
With Tesla, you do not get the $7500 lease incentive.

Got a cold call from a dealer regarding a MME at 4 PM on a Sunday. Things may get interesting. They have 20 in stock. Holy cow.

1 Like

What area?