Family Sues Tesla due to death of child hit by car on AutoPilot

Genuinely curious how all these accidents are possible when the Tesla makes you move the wheel every 15 seconds or so to make sure you are paying attention. Is there an easy workaround or are people just gaming it somehow.

1 Like
1 Like

Well thats fucked

1 Like

Blame on both, also why would that dad not make his kid wear a seatbelt? Any car could’ve crashed and rolled their Ford Explorer and the kid would’ve went flying because of not wearing a seatbelt.

Special place in hell for that dude.

2 Likes

If Mary Barra had laughed at someone doing this with SuperCruise, she would have been walked out carrying a banker’s box.

I would use the G-word with Tesla, but it cost Mark Fields his career

2 Likes

But it’s just a phone holder

1 Like
  1. The kid wasn’t wearing a seatbelt.

2. From the description it sounds like the Ford cut the Tesla off

100% kid’s parent’s fault.

1 Like

There’s a video of it too where you can see the ford cutting the tesla off but the tesla does not react. I blame both but having your kid not wear a seatbelt is irresponsible, good luck with the lawsuit.

1 Like

Agreed. But can you imagine the ghouls at Tesla watching the last 30 seconds of so many customer’s lives? That cabin-facing camera is creepy af…

Edit: might as well link these week-old fossils here, too:

1 Like

Yes, that’s a weird job position. The Tesla guy is dumb for relying solely on autopilot. I always disengage in construction zones or when it’s high speed traffic and people weave in and out.

1 Like

It doesn’t sound like he was relying solely on autopilot - it sounds like he was cut off on a highway and reacted at the last second, same as the car.

Also all new luxury cars automatically brake in these situations, nothing to do with some fancy autopilot - do Teslas not do this? Seems like the “autopilot” thing is just something the media gins up for clicks.

Please share the link to the video.

Scroll down and you’ll see it

Case will be easily dismissed. Any law student knows that Negligence claims must prove four things in court: duty, breach, causation, damages.

Tesla will argue they did not have a duty of care since it was driver who is in charge of vehicle at all times and autopilot did not cause accident but both drivers who were careless, one by not exercising due care in lane change and the other by not slowing down

3 Likes

An aware driver would have noticed the merge and braked earlier. A defensive driver wouldn’t be passing cars on both sides at a 20+ mph speed delta. I think autopilot and other ADAS systems could be made better with both the emergency braking and the unsafe passing speed.

Many cars have Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB), but there are many limitations which are seen across these systems. Following a car that swerves out of the way of a parked car? These systems are horrible at this. Lighting conditions, limitations of radar reflections with false positives make these systems less than reliable. Right now they are (rightly) tuned to be cautious about emergency braking since false positive braking events will a source of accidents in itself.

1 Like

Only game in town? Ehh not so as it was a year ago or even 6 months ago. The amount of competition tesla has to fight off going forward will be immensely insane. There are literally hundreds of planned evs coming to market soon. The amount of market share tesla has in this space will drop greatly.

1 Like

I get that. They aren’t here yet though and those that are barely put a dent in Tesla sales at the moment. The EV market could be completely different in 5 years. Tesla has a 15+ year head start, and a cult following at the moment though.

this mach-e has gotten more looks and questions than top gear UK filming in its heyday. add that with only ~130k sold and you have $7,500 back fed on top of $2,000-$5,000 back from NJ and suddenly 60k xc40 recharges make less sense when you can get a 45-50k ford and 12k back…

when the f150 comes out, people will flock to that, as well as hundreds of models coming out.

no more mulligans for tesla 15 years in with quality control issues like rear bumpers falling off in rain, panel gaps you can see through, or embedded dust under every coat of paint.

they’ve got to stop living on their laurels, and removing things like radar. removing radar is why I cancelled my MY order and got a mach-e instead.

1 Like

Tesla fanbois will continue to give them mulligans. I don’t believe Tesla can hold on for the long term with piss poor quality and their gimmicks. That said, until someone knocks them off the pedestal, everyone else is playing catch-up

2 Likes