Tesla on Autopilot Slams into Truck at High Rate of Speed

4 Likes

I agree. I’m pretty old-school though. My M340i has a great backup camera, parking sensors, blind spot monitoring, etc. I still do a mirror and/or shoulder check. I may be in the minority though. I also own a business that helps people with technology. I work with people who can barely operate a phone, yet they are expected to figure out “autopilot” on their Tesla.

3 Likes

The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

Pretty clear that it’s not “self driving” machine.

Just like the LH community likes to point out, if you don’t read & understand contract, it’s the signer’s fault…

1 Like

If only it had LIDAR to detect an object in the way! It’s a shame ole’ Musky doesn’t believe in LIDAR. It’s not as if the irresponsible folks buying his cars are keeping their eyes in the road anyways. Lord knows the cameras alone aren’t enough.

1 Like

My S60 has Advanced package with pilot assist and some other nice things, but I’m old school too and Volvo doesn’t call it “autopilot” or “semi-pilot”.

1 Like

Pretty clear that calling anything “autopilot” that is not is deceptive, no?
Read the quote from Jalopnik above, if you have not.

No different from dealer ads “Zero due at signing” with an asterisk for tax, title and fee - it is not zero due at signing.

2 Likes

Who needs it? :triumph:

BING BONG CRASH :scream::see_no_evil::blue_car::battery:

Coming in a little hot

1 Like

Musk said LIDAR was too expensive, which is not the case anymore.

If you watch some of the close calls people post on Youtube using the autopilot cameras, I think its clear that the cameras don’t have the resolution needed to see the edge cases.

It’s not just the sensor. It’s making the sensor work well in the real world that is the issue.

Mobileye has it figured out. See 0-1:30 . This is why I’m somewhat bearish on Tesla.

Tesla has redundant compute but not redundant sensor modalities, like Mobileye will have.

1 Like

How is it different than ProPilot? Or something similar from other manufacturers.

I understand the sentiment & I actually agree that there needs to be a standardized naming scheme across the industry.

My sarcastic response was more directed towards our community’s “usual” stance of putting the burden on the end user to read & accept the t&c etc…

You don’t see how? “Auto” is the key word.

1 Like

You’ll notice there was a thread here a week or two ago of someone that rear ended someone while on autopilot in his tesla and was upset his insurance was going up, and we collectively did tell him it was his liability. That doesn’t mean that the tesla marketing is also reasonable though. Those aren’t mutually exclusive things.

1 Like

Necromancing this thread, but fascinating details from recent depositions

If I had Gen1 Autopilot, I would never, ever, ever use it again :astonished:

I know, I know:

3 Likes

NHTSA has decided to insert themselves

As an engineer this title makes me cringe. Speed is a rate, so a high rate of speed is redundant.

1 Like

95510495_1555093394647398_4936000154294550528_n

4 Likes

Personally I’m a 2nd derrivative man, and every headline writer ever should be packed in a rocket and shot into the sun (all pof Buzzfeed first, please).

I wish they would have asked about the computer crash rate, and what happens while driving if the AP computer experiences a crash. The fact that it has crash log telemetry is not interesting. It would be interesting if it didn’t have any. I would drive the AP1-3 and my Volvo Pilot Assist all the same, never fully trusting and always alert.

The root of the issue in the semi accident is that AP1 was basically designed to follow the car ahead at a safe distance or track an empty lane. That’s about it. Despite warnings, to uninformed people it seems like it’s driving because despite handling only 1% off all possible driving scenarios, the 1% it knows how to happens 99.9% of the time.