Family Sues Tesla due to death of child hit by car on AutoPilot

Please share the link to the video.

Scroll down and you’ll see it

Case will be easily dismissed. Any law student knows that Negligence claims must prove four things in court: duty, breach, causation, damages.

Tesla will argue they did not have a duty of care since it was driver who is in charge of vehicle at all times and autopilot did not cause accident but both drivers who were careless, one by not exercising due care in lane change and the other by not slowing down

3 Likes

An aware driver would have noticed the merge and braked earlier. A defensive driver wouldn’t be passing cars on both sides at a 20+ mph speed delta. I think autopilot and other ADAS systems could be made better with both the emergency braking and the unsafe passing speed.

Many cars have Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB), but there are many limitations which are seen across these systems. Following a car that swerves out of the way of a parked car? These systems are horrible at this. Lighting conditions, limitations of radar reflections with false positives make these systems less than reliable. Right now they are (rightly) tuned to be cautious about emergency braking since false positive braking events will a source of accidents in itself.

1 Like

Only game in town? Ehh not so as it was a year ago or even 6 months ago. The amount of competition tesla has to fight off going forward will be immensely insane. There are literally hundreds of planned evs coming to market soon. The amount of market share tesla has in this space will drop greatly.

1 Like

I get that. They aren’t here yet though and those that are barely put a dent in Tesla sales at the moment. The EV market could be completely different in 5 years. Tesla has a 15+ year head start, and a cult following at the moment though.

this mach-e has gotten more looks and questions than top gear UK filming in its heyday. add that with only ~130k sold and you have $7,500 back fed on top of $2,000-$5,000 back from NJ and suddenly 60k xc40 recharges make less sense when you can get a 45-50k ford and 12k back…

when the f150 comes out, people will flock to that, as well as hundreds of models coming out.

no more mulligans for tesla 15 years in with quality control issues like rear bumpers falling off in rain, panel gaps you can see through, or embedded dust under every coat of paint.

they’ve got to stop living on their laurels, and removing things like radar. removing radar is why I cancelled my MY order and got a mach-e instead.

1 Like

Tesla fanbois will continue to give them mulligans. I don’t believe Tesla can hold on for the long term with piss poor quality and their gimmicks. That said, until someone knocks them off the pedestal, everyone else is playing catch-up

2 Likes

Maybe this was the writing on the wall Michael Burry feels will finally catch up to Tesla on… short Tesla?

1 Like

I’m sure there are more forces at work in shorting a stock than just fundamentals; otherwise, NKLA should be at 50 cents now lol.

1 Like

Haha I know I was merely saying that because as another stated, even on bad news TSLA ticker movement doesn’t make sense.

This is all just sad that these conversations are being had over the loss of life, and as someone said it’s the public beta testing it. They need competition to feel any sort of pressure.

1 Like

I think the word “autopilot” is causing confusion and people treat this semi autonomous feature like SAE Level 5.

1 Like

Just put this here…

How bad are the cameras if that’s a red car?

1 Like

It’s the Daily Mail…

3 Likes

His footwear is evidence of at least temporary insanity.

The car cameras make red → orange, but clearly show dude’s pedicure. #priorities

1 Like

I’m no engineer or computer scientist but whoever has programmed the car to believe that it can move safely through traffic like that is insane, cut-off or not.

1 Like

In fairness, that’s how my Volvo would drive if I had adaptive cruise control on. It was driving maybe five miles above speed limit on highway. Tesla has more advanced self driving but this just seems like a basic adaptive cruise control failure.

This accident is really tragic because if the kid has his seat belt on he very likely walks away with a sore neck. I have professional experience in the disability realm and it’s amazing how such a high percentage of people I would see with horrible MVA injuries weren’t wearing their seatbelt at the time of accident. Modern cars are so bloody safe but many of the advanced safety features are predicated on use of a simple belt first designed 135 years ago.

Also California law allows for reduction in damages if minor who was required to wear seatbelt was not doing so and that caused injury.

3 Likes

The driver.

These systems should be smart enough to not pass, especially in the right, at such a high speed difference. But currently they all make no effort to prevent it though. I’m always adjusting the set speed on my Volvo so it doesn’t fly past traffic or be too fast for conditions.

1 Like

I’m a belief that this lowers accidents because there are stupid drivers in the world.
But when an accident happens…ick…man it’s sad.