F-150 Lightning... Reservation & Ordering Discussion

So are orders / reservations for these currently closed? If no, can someone rec a dealer in the NE/DC area that’s not Chapman that will sell without dealer markups?

Reservations are currently closed. I am pretty sure they took enough to be sold out through 2024.

1 Like

115k for corvette I can understand, 115k for a f-150, is mud money rich, but could it handle the mud?

where would you even charge this thing at a decent rate, at home only?

Where work provides free charging and you work lonnnngggggg hours.

For regular folks you would charge it same place anyone charges their non-tesla EV, for contractors, work folks, you tend to sit at a jobsite or go to one location a day for a project, etc, so should not be a huge issue…i doubt anyone is ubering in that thing

1 Like

people don’t buy a work truck for 115k paying so much more msrp, so only people I could see paying that much are people with mud money and they buy that shit to raise it up and go mudding with it, I guess then you would need to tow it to the mud pit and tow it back. My friend owns 2 jeeps 1 for driving and 1 he tows for mudding (literally bought ford F-250 platinum just to tow his second jeep), cus it isn’t 100% road legal no more, so I could see some rich mud money people doing this but regular people? hell no.

I think you are taking a short sighted view of it’s value. Electric vehicles have historically held their value very well. The total cost of ownership for an electric vehicle is usually much lower then the ICE over the lifetime of the vehicle.

That said, Ford is not selling many PRO or XLT trims. They do have these cheaper options, but most of the trims are the higher margin Lariat and Platinum, which are targeting the the luxury cross-over SUV market. For these buyers, they were already paying $70K to $80K… in my case a GMC Denali, and for those buying the Raptors and TRX, already paying near $100K. If all those trucks are selling well, it seems logical the Lightning will sell similarly.

Another thing to consider is many of the early trucks goto content creators and accessories manufacturer who generate revenue from their early access.

Finally… charging. I will charge my F150 at 30 amps, which is slower then I can charge my Tesla (42 amps). It will take about 8 hours to full charge (20% to 90%) my SR battery overnight and be ready for the next morning. With DC fast charging at a public supercharger, you can full charge in 45 minutes.

3 Likes

You have make a compelling case.

why would Ford charge so much slower then Tesla at home though?

Ford has two private charging options.
Mobile Power Cord, charges at up to 30 amp at 240V.
Charge Station Pro, charges at up to 60 amp at 240V.

Compared to Tesla
Mobile Connector, charges at up to 32amp at 240V
Wall Connector, charges at up to 48amp at 240V.

In my case I am comparing the Ford Mobile Power Cord (free) to the Tesla Wall Connector ($400) because the Ford Charging Station Pro is $1300.

Wonder if you can use a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter and use your Tesla wall connector to charge up the Lightning.

Standard Range Lightning’s on-board charger can accept 48 amps, while the Extended Range one can accept 80 amps on Level 2.

1 Like

they are. just think of the sheer amount of gas they use driving around town to jobs and estimates and distributors. i know more than one contractor that is absolutely DROOLING over the possibility of owning one of these things. from the lack of gas, to the ability to power multiple devices, to the general fit and finish of the whole thing, etc… i’d bet money they’d plunk down $100k+ on a fully outfitted model to have all the creature comforts and be able to drive around town in style.

Tesla J1772 adapter and Tesla wall connectors are both “male”

He’s probably talking about this:

3 Likes

I thought the charging station pro came with the trucks that have extended batteries (literally in a box in the bed of the truck so you can’t have it installed before delivery). You can dial them down in you don’t have 100 amp line too (I.e. 40 amps to fit a 200 amp service). The ER batter comes with dual onboard charges whereas the SR 40. Geeked out a bit on this one.

This is true but I am getting an SR which does not include the Charging Station Pro.

1 Like

What is the range on these? Around 230? I believe that number drops to around 50% if you’re towing anything significant. I believe it is around 1.7 mi/kWh standard, and adding a decent sized trailer takes it to around 0.8 mi/kWh. So what is that, around 100 miles of range at best?

I’m sorry, but I know very few contractors that would sign up for that…let alone piss around with the charging. And charge where? Not all homes/projects/buildings are near or in a populated area. Unless we’re talking a Starbucks hopping city contractor, much of our area has few public charge points (which means you will be at the mercy of the slow trickle charger). I just don’t see this as a viable option, at least not for that workforce in the more rural areas.

I see the f150 ev selling more to those households who want a pickup, but don’t necessary 100% NEED one. Or the “luxury” buyers, EV-crazed buyers, etc.

The proposed/patented range extender (tool box generator that charges the truck) would bridge this. Basically how a locomotive works

Why not compare against a non-Ford or Tesla branded evse? You can get a quality 48 amp evse with a j1772 connector for $400-450.

An additional expense to buying the lightning…

And this patented (range-extender) plan it to add an internal combustion motor & fuel tank, essentially making this EV similar to a hybrid? You literally have to be shitting me. :rofl: Now a guy has to worry about having fuel in the “range-extender” AND having this “pickup” charged. :poop: Not to mention, how much of the cargo space is that going to consume?

It makes it a series phev that you can only add the weight penalty of as needed

1 Like