EV Discussion Thread

This won’t be fixed until EA implements a policy where charging after 80%, when the station is full, costs people $1 per minute or something. Obviously, more thought needs to go into it, but the fees need to rocket for people who abuse the infrastructure. Half of this shit would go away if they took away free charging because I’ve met so many people who don’t want to spend the money to charge at home when they can just get a free charge down at EA. Crazy seeing people buy cars that cost $1000s /month and playing cheapsies for like a $100/month.

1 Like

Its painfully slow to go from 90% to 100% while you are waiting at a public charger

These are fantastic ideas and while almost everyone agrees, EA does nothing,. Even Walmart has a better queing system.

With the Mach-E, I’d either charge at home, fight people at office for chargers, or find a free one bikeable distance from home. All worked fine.
I got the I5 with the understanding that I can charge at EA for free. I understand its a bonus for me, there is a station 1.1mi from my home, but the last few times I went to EA, there was no que. Now suddenly there is an explosion.
I just moved into a new home but the I5 doesn’t come with a lever 2 charger. So now I have spend some hundred dollars in a outlet and another 500 or so for a charger. You know what, I’l jsut use EA

I once saw a guy driving a EQS 580 (not 450 but 580), come to Walmart, stay 10 mins in line, and then plug his car when it was already >90%… like why

EA is unwilling owned by VW group… A penalty requirement resulting from “diesel gate.” It’s really not that surprising a company who never wanted to be in this business is doing a poor job running this business. In NJ, it’s not uncommon for VW dealers to use EA stations to charge lot cars.

2 Likes

Sometimes you need that extra 20% to bridge a gap since EA is SLOW at buildout.

Example, Denton to Amarillo which is a 330 mile sector with two single stall bailout options that don’t take you 30+ miles out of the way which tops out at 50kW speed.

There’s a few more examples of this on the EA network but the point remains the same.

You can can get caught up reading LH just for 20 minutes. Or eat a meal… or walk around where the charger is. Or take a nap (which I see people doing).

I’ve started at 30% and it takes less than 18 minutes to get to 80%. If I take the full free 30 minutes… 95%… even on a 150w charger.

I also go at times when it’s less crowded… after 11pm or before 7am but there have been times where I’ve waited longer than I actually charge for.

I don’t mind… free to drive an EV is great and it leased for less than other ICE vehicles I had.

if you guys are banking on Chargepoint being an ongoing concern, you might need to start looking into alternatives

down to $3.58, 62% yoy.

1 Like

EVGo isn’t doing any better

Well if the govt is funding public ev charging stations it makes sense that these private companies would get crushed. I got burnt on PLUG stock when all that was announced. Lost like 50% in a week like most of these stocks did in sept 2022

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure that this is just corporate welfare. Corporations will make a lot of money installing them, but they won’t be maintained so will be useless. Even EA, CP, EVgo have a hard time maintaining their chargers.

Tesla will be a new Exxon.

Isn’t it a nationalized thing? From what I understand it’s not funds designated for private companies or I doubt these stocks would be getting crushed.

If so then I’m sure close to half the money will be wasted. It’ll go union as stated in the article and cost a ton to build. Then if the past is any indicator of the future it’ll be a massive failure, or a black hole of endless public funds.

3 Likes

one can dream Jim. one can only dream…

1 Like

Nothing is free…financially or environmentally.

1 Like

we’re paying for it both ways. might as well be owned by the people vs some useless corporation.

in sunnier news, @drdvrgs has something to look forward to

3 Likes

True zero will find a way to pocket that sadly

It is nationalized in a sense the Gov is handing out money to the states. The states have and will give their plans how they will use the money. The states can contract with whoever they want to spend their NEVI funding portion.

From what I have read, states first need to deploy DCFC stations along designated Alternative Fuel Corridors, no more that 50 miles apart(basically major highways). Each site will have minimum 4 DC fast charging ports. The remaining can just be level 2 charging ports.

Numerous states have their initial build site plans released, their are private contracted companies building sites including EVgo, Tesla, EA, etc.

Tesla opening their chargers to all EVs is part of the $7.5bill(3,500 fast chargers and 4,000 level 2).

2 Likes

Once states have fulfilled building the AFC sites. The remaining money can be spent how they like, any location or alternative fuel source(including hydrogen). California already has money earmarked for hydrogen sites.

and never actually finish building.

1 Like