EV Discussion Thread

I had a Mach-E last year and Ioniq5 this year. I consistently slowly charged Mach-E to 100% (at home) since I absolutely needed the range.
With I5, I am charging at EA, and the time it takes 90 to 100% charge just isn’t worth it, so normally I charge to 90%.

But more importantly, I consistently ran out of juice during the middle of running errands and I have to plan my day around having 20 mins to charge, not including any wait times. Do I like it? Absolutely no

1 Like

20 min to charge to 80% is a good thing. Other EVs take longer. I don’t even charge my Ioniq at home. Just go to a DCFC every 10 days and chill out for 20-30 minutes.

Sounds like your use case is not current EV infrastructure friendly.

1 Like

To be fair, what you’re really planning around is charging for free, right? If you charged overnight and paid for the electricity you wouldn’t be running out of juice halfway through typical weekend errands I assume?

2 Likes

It seems my I5 always takes 18 mins to charge to 80%, doesn’t matter if I start at 30% or 10%.
I don’t know how anyone who has a life can spare 20-30 mins on a consistent basis. I go DCFC too, just optimize it such that im not wasting time.

Yes that’s correct for now.

1 Like

Unless you don’t have a level 2 charger at home. He said that he used to “slow charge”, so if he used the 110v charger, that’s like 15kw per night.

Charging at home is the best thing about an EV. There are no gas stations between where I live and anywhere that I go regularly - middle school, high school, swimming pool, gymnastics center. We go to a giant Walmart shopping center maybe once a week, and the EA station is literally just overflowing with anxious people. I don’t see anyone hanging out, drinking beer, and talking about EVs. Everyone is in their cars and angry.

We also go to Costco, and there is a gas station there that’s about as bad as the EA station, bu no EV charging at Costco yet. I’m really looking forward to Costco EV stations to see what real shitshow would look like.

2 Likes

I’ve seen people get into arguments about who got in line first…

2 Likes

Any ideas how to deal with people hogging EA chargers. So far, in the past one month, I’ve seen:

1. 2x Lucid drivers sitting at 98-99% waiting to charge to 100%. Apparently it takes 10-15 mins to charge these Lucids from 98% to 100%.
  2. Guy plugs in his Mach-E to charge at 87% and goes to the gym for over an hour, all while there are 3-4 people in que.
  3. Guy plugs in his EQS at 95% charge to go shopping at Walmart
  4. Family leaves their iX on charge at 100% over an hour while shopping at a nearby mall
1 Like

Should have led with that. That’s not an EV problem.

If you want to inconvenience yourself to save money that’s on you. That’s conceptually no different from people who drive out of their way to save a few cents per gallon for their ICEV.

Now someone will say filling up their ICEV takes less time and completely miss the point.

2 Likes

You are assuming that I have ANY charger at my home residence. Actually i just moved 3 weeks ago and I have none. Ioniq5 comes with a 3kwh charger FYI, not a 6kwh.
Also, this still applies to people who own EVs despite living in apartments

1 Like

This is fake news. There’s no way an EQS is actually driving a family to an EA station since the EQS is supposed to be broken down and bricked on a flatbed tow truck.

2 Likes

My area is the opposite. Gas stations everywhere, in fact within the last year three brand new gas stations were built within 5 miles.(those investors must know something).

EA station is at least 45mins away. When I do go by the EA on occasion, it is mostly empty. It is in one of those outlet mall parking lots.

1 Like

Driving an EV is so much better when one avoids EA like the plague. Back in summer 2022 I charged a few times at EA for the novelty, and I really never saw another vehicle there.

I recently met up with a friend near one of the EA chargers I used to go to and saw a line of cars waiting to charge–and this is within town and not near an interstate highway so it’s likely local people trying to save some money.

Forget free-EA would have to pay me for me to even consider it now lol.

3 Likes

Pretty much the same. There has been an explosion of EVs in the last 12 months that use EA chargers. Last year, I could waltz into at EA charger and use it. This year, guess what, 30 mins wait time, anytime between 8am and 11pm

1 Like

Everyone, everywhere seems to be angry all the time now. I charge at home, unless I can find a spot at work.

4 Likes

There are simple solutions that charging providers could implement, but they won’t. Just off the top of my head:

• use GPS to estimate number of waiting cars (all of these chargers have apps, so that shouldn’t be an issue), Do not let charging start at over x% when cars waiting
  • start charging $100 per minute for a car that finished charging and is still plugged in (arbitrary amount)
  • instead of queues, have a numbering system in the app, pull up, get a number, charger calls for a number if the car is still in the vicinity.
    I’m sure there are many more ways to deter asshole behavior, but someone must want to do it.
1 Like

Hello All,

Getting a X very soon, just wanted to know if anyone were seeing better rates for APR through credit unions/loaners in SoCal area. Looking to target something better than 6.4% for 72 mo term.

Thanks in advance.

Are you financing rather than leasing?

Edit:
Also this:

Yes, I will be financing it!

Then just charge to a 100% on the weekends. Batteries aren’t so fragile for you to notice wear by doing that in the next decade. Maybe in 15 years, but very few people keep a car that long. There’s pros and cons, so to wake up to a full tank and have it be economical is a win for me.

1 Like

You can’t complain about taking advantage of free charge and then having to plan around that. If someone lives in an apartment complex and buys an EV, then I don’t understand why they’re complaining about EVs because they had the option to not get one. I’m just curious, did you think DCFC was easier than what it is before you got your car or were you planning on getting a level 2 charger? Because I think that for many people, living off of a level 1 charger is possible, but a potential buyer would know if they need to install a level 2 charger for their needs and if they can’t, then buy a gas car.