EV Discussion Thread

Yeah… Does price and reliability really matter if you’re balling your eyes out every time you drive cause your car is lame and boring?

The problem is that’s just not that simple.

You’re using very basic data points. You’re assuming it won’t be used while at your destination. You’re also assuming you’re getting the same range as you would at home.
Most importantly, range anxiety is a real thing.

Building a DCFC station is nothing like building a gas station. The simple fact of needing a connection to the power grid.
The current nation grid can’t handle the rate of growth that people are wanting. There are states that struggls to meet and sustain current demands. We don’t make enough energy, take away government subsidies and wind and solar don’t work financially, so everyone pays. There will never be a usable new form of fusion in our lifetime. In order to expand infrastructure it has to go generation, transmission, distribution.

Some interesting points here

2 Likes

Time for you to install some solar panels on your roof and get charging.

Eh, disagree. Someone pulled some averages from some reports without thinking what they actually mean and went “hey look, Skolen of these numbers are higher than each other and some are lower!” And provided no actual insight.

Poor CCS
Wonder who’s not going to support Tesla chargers at this point.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/05/business/hyundai-tesla-ev-charging/index.html

BMW so far is stubbornly sticking to their guns and won’t join the NACS bandwagon.

Had a Ford dealer call me yesterday asking if I was still interested in a Mach-E. I guess Ford announced a $9000-some incentive recently?

I had called them in March 2022 looking around, but they were $10k over.

Looks pretty crappy for the Mach-e right now. I think they were passing some of the 7500 lease credit to the customer earlier in the year. But then they stopped but gave a pretty low MF, which ended up being about the same in payments. A few people were able to get couple of thousand off msrp, resulting in payments around $500 with inceptions, but I haven’t really seen any deals.

2 Likes

The biggest player in the automotive industry, Toyota is quiet? Is this the prime opportunity to take CCS at pennies on the dollar and convert them into a Toyota only charging network?

Or is NACS the way forward since everybody else is on that wagon?

#showerthoughts

Looks like the IRS is changing how you get tax credit on cars next year.

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/jy1783

alright, looks like buying multiple EV’s is on the menu now.

1 Like

I can just imagine the Slickdeals thread about this…oh I cringe.

“bro trust me you gots to sign first, ask question later”

Why do you need a 400 mile range every night? And unless you buy an efficient ICE car, you’re not getting that there either and I assume you don’t drive a prius.

Really? The dealer can just pay buyer $7500 in cash and not have to put it down on the vehicle.

The payment made by the dealer to the consumer (in the form of a cash payment, down payment, or partial down payment) would not be includible in the gross income of the consumer.

Owning an EV, you quickly realize you don’t drive an EV like a gas car. If it says 400 mile range for gas, you fill it up every time at the pump and can go all the way until the E light turns on. For an EV, you’re usually going to 80%, maybe 90% charge. Then drive down to like 25%, meaning you actually do about 200ish miles, if lucky.

3 Likes

VW still as well…

I’m aware, but needing a 400 mile range is not the same. The only problem here is road trips. For city commuting, it doesn’t make a difference.

It depends on your lifestyle. On weekends, I normally drive 200-300 miles. Considering we can drive 90% to 10%. I barely get 200-220 miles. Which means I need to charge Friday morning and before the weekend is over…

1 Like

Cuts both ways. You can’t start an ICEV everyday with full tank that refilled at home overnight.

Which brand? Isn’t Tesla’s guidance to charge to 100% before longer trips?

1 Like