Eff it let's break the calculator: 2020 Chevy Bolt LT 36/10k One pay, Effectively 624 dollars total

The state requirement will be critical in the future though. Bc if vehicle needs to be bought from nj dealerships will just reduce discounts because of demand. But if can be bought from other states, it’ll be easier to score unicorns.

Considering that NJ charges zero sales tax on electric vehicles anyway, I don’t believe they particularly care where it is bought as a part of this initiative. Perhaps it was an oversight, but the law clearly states registered in New Jersey, and does not have a New Jersey dealership requirement anywhere. That could change when the program is officially approved, but for right now it would appear that anything done before that date that meets the requirements as written right now would have to be honored, one way or another.

Yes one needs to be paid for a gm lease. Don’t understand how @bro1999 had to pay full Msrp for his bolt

1 Like

i see you trust politicians …

1 Like

Not at all! I do trust litigation, or the potential threat of it when the terms and conditions of a law are outlined in black and white, and the highest executive in the State is encouraging citizens to take advantage now via official press releases!

Then you would know that govt officials cannot be sued for statements or actions taken in good faith while in office even if such statements do not materialize

2 years ago Some jurisdictions told people they could avoid new SALT deduction limits by prepaying property taxes and that turned out to not be true.

Well I’m not referring to suing the Governor personally, and I would hope it would never come to that anyway. As an employee in state government I know about indemnification, I’m imagining a doomsday scenario where the state itself and/or the appropriate departments in the state would need to be sued to collect what is due. It’s not just the Governor affirming these statements and the effects of the new law, it’s the state itself via official press releases as well as information posted on official state websites pertaining to the program and the law. But like I said, doomsday scenario! Come March/April I fully expect to be filling out the appropriate forms and getting my check shortly after.

1 Like

Congrats, great deal! Enjoy!

1 Like

Thank YOU for helping to inspire and motivate this with your (ultimately 100% correct) interpretation of this law. If I had been less skeptical I might have made a couple of thousand dollars doing this! But either way I made out pretty well, hopefully others who took advantage between 1/18 and 2/3 have figured out what they have coming to them soon!

How do you understand “the point-of-sale” rebate? Dealers pass it to buyers and then get it back from the state?

Once the Dealer end of the program goes live, yes. But as of right now the dealer portal is not available and they can’t pass it along. It’s up to the consumer to do it post sale when the consumer portal launches. So there’s a limited window at the moment where dealers are at a disadvantage if you know what you are doing. Some of them are trying to use it as a negotiation tactic though since they know that you will get it, and they are acting like they are giving you a huge discount somehow.

So there will be 2 options to claim it? All purchases before dealer portal goes live will require customer portal to be active in order to claim it. Congrats, BTW :slight_smile:

1 Like

There was a dealer here (I believe Barlow Chevrolet) that had special graphics and everything made up listing the rebate as an additional incentive, they made everything bright green too. I have a feeling that somebody slapped them on the wrist about it, or they realized that they couldn’t access the money, so they took it down. They claim that they don’t have any stock right now, but they’ve had the same two Bolts listed for weeks. My suspicion is that they are hoarding them until they can apply the money directly.

That appears to be how its going to work. On the dealer end there will be an application process, they get an authorization, they do the deal, and then they get a check 7 to 10 days later.

Look, im not trying to rain down on your parade but who will you be chasing after for this $5,000 rebate check. Me, personally, I wouldnt trust any Govt agency, the courts/lawyers.

So come this summer, when you’re due this check, will you be calling Trenton to see where the check is? Pretty sure you’ll get some govt minion on the phone who won’t have a clue. When you finally do track someone down and they dig alittle deeper into your “purchase” history will they give you the ole’ “Im sorry Mister Electric Eliminator, you’re rebate is only valid for purchases and we see that you’ve leased this car” shpiel.
Think you’re going to fight them? Good luck with that and trying to get a lawyer and go down that route.

Regardless, I tout you for getting this done and doing your homework and even in the event you get burned over the $5K, its still a great deal for an EV commuter car.

Again, I personally would be sweating ballz waiting on the state of NJ to cut me a $5,000 rebate check (specifically on a leased car).

Congrats on the deal but def post back on what transpires with the rebate.

You earned it!

1 Like

I’ll definitely follow up once I get the check, but in the event that I am somehow totally wrong about anything and everything here, and legal options if somehow needed fail… I can’t get out of this with Vroom/Carvana or a lease swap in 6 months? I’m feeling pretty good about the situation.

I’d be happy to get that deal w/o rebate check. Local dealers not even budging on 2019 w/o DCFC. SMH.

I went down a different route. Bought an e-Golf. Perfect car for my soon-to-be 17 year old kid. Not very fast and not very quick, but very safe.

Would have loved to lease it, but the numbers on it were better as a purchase. $40k msrp with a net ~$18k after discounts, rebates, tax credits and incentives. Plus approx $2000 in sales tax savings.

1 Like