Don't be a dummy like me in the F&I department

Just hard for me to spell :wink:

Careful with that one!
I looked into that program back in early May and was offered a pretty attractive rate. The company that the T&W plan is through has suspect reviews. Mostly stating that they BARELY approve any claims.

In my personal experience- CNA has been excellent with claims.
So just a word of caution-- make sure you guys do your due diligence with their claims process as AAA sources T&W through a third party.

EDIT: Attached the quote email for my 2020 M4, and the sample contract that was sent to me by the AAA Northeast agent (incase anyone wants to go through the fine details)
One thing is for sure, they responded to me almost immediately, so thumbs up for service.

attached the actual quotes for my car (36 & 84 months) & here’s the link to the sample contract: https://docdro.id/fYPMxqF

2 Likes

So glad you mentioned that because I had not noticed on the top of the sample contract they sent me. They apparently use the same company that Rallye uses, which is where I have purchased and service my cars.

Thanks for sharing the sample contract. The one AAA share withe only had 8 pages. I found exactly what I needed: if canceled, they’ll deduct the claim from the refund plus prorated months.

My idea was to purchase the 84 months for $1885 then cancel after 36 month, receiving 48 month refund. However, if I filed a claim, it will be deducted from the refund so my idea might not be the brightest.

A post was split to a new topic: Help with an x3

Hey, did you end up going with this T&W coverage or any other coverages?

I found a dealer in FL that was willing to sell me the exact CNA contract I wanted. If you want more details, please feel free to PM. I went with CNA because I have had a great experience with them. The reviews I found for the AAA T&W plan suggested that they rarely approve any claims therefore it’s like not having any coverage at all so I passed on them.

1 Like

Seriously, one of the most helpful threads around here. Literally spent an hour reading everything here. Well worth it. Thank you so much for sharing! I felt the frustration as I was reading!

I moved to the US recently and already made two car purchases (one lease and one finance). Didn’t have a problem saying “no” to the F&I people on everything and they respected it, but I’m also not a fluent speaker and the first deal was a month after I moved to the US (so like someone else mentioned, that might work if you really aren’t a native speaker haha).

The thing with my next car (will get something in the next few months) is that I want to get a MB or BMW, and being new to the country, I am not sure if the GAP/prepaid maintenance is worth the extra. I’ve never had an accident before and I’ve had a driver license for 10+ years. However, due to being new to the US and generally not knowing repair/maintenance costs since I also never owned a luxury brand I am hesitant whether or not to keep the “no” strategy with the F&I and figure things out later (like some have mentioned) or purchase GAP/prepaid maintenance.

Also, my first deal was a leased Civic and I didn’t have any problems. Like others have mentioned, even though I didn’t find the seats comfortable (I have lower back pain issues), since the salesperson was super nice and helpful, I would never say a bad word about Honda and would recommend them (even though I might not get one in the foreseeable future).

1 Like

Gap is included by pretty much everyone but toyota. If an mb or bmw dealer tries to sell you gap coverage, run far away.

I, too, had back issues from the civic. Those seats were a killer after lots of miles.

2 Likes

Bmw you don’t have to worry about gap or maintenance. Shouldn’t have to worry about brakes if you drive normally (i.e. not aggressively)

Unless you use adaptive cruise control if your car is equipped with it. It eats up the rear brakes.

1 Like

Is there data to support this or just a gut feeling

How do you think adaptive cruise control varies the speed of a car? Engine braking?

I can’t speak to the bmw system, but I do know that on the Volvo system speed is modulated on the acc system with the rear brakes and people (including myself) that used the system a lot experience high replacement rates for the rear pads as a result.

Last car I got the salesman was there and warned the finance guy that I’m cheap (he said it nicely) or a hard sell. As in, don’t waste too much time. I gotta give the guy credit he came close to getting me on one of these silly $10-15/month :slight_smile:

1 Like

I DID say no to the F&I guy, in fact I repeated it when he started blathering on about the maintenance plans. And yet he still added in a $600 Ultimate Care plan. I didn’t catch it because there were three columns and I ASSumed the last column was the one that was included at no extra charge. Even when I called later to question it, he double-talked me and had me thinking it was normal. Eventually BMW FS explained what it was but said I’d need to go to him to have it refunded. Which he did, after I mentioned I’d called BMW FS. Then I had to b*tch to get the $72 interest refunded. Super shady, won’t deal with him again.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, did you not notice your payment going up by $15-20 per month between when you went into the F&I office and when you signed the actual contract?

1 Like

Good to know, thank you! I will def run away (already prepared my wife that even if she likes the car I’m always ready to leave even in the F&I process, especially after reading this thread :smiley: ). I assume GAP for MB/BMW is also included for loaners since it’s like a new car lease?

A few people have covered GAP, but do your research on the prepaid maintenance plans before saying no. For example Audi Care is about $1000, but it adds a 1% bump to the residual so you end up paying about half of that. It’s not a bad deal for 2-3 extra service visits. On the flip side, BMW currently includes maintenance. So unless you think you will go through a set of brake pads, the UC+ is useless.

2 Likes

Or a clutch :grin:

Audi Care is definitely worth looking at. Can definitely help in the long run.
:chocolate_bar:

1 Like