Don't be a dummy like me in the F&I department

Sweet. Thanks for educating me folks, I appreciate it!

This is dependent on your carrier, how many comprehensive claims you make, and the severity of those claims.

I used to work for a national company in PA and never ran into issues with clients. I mean if you totaled three cars in a year…bye bye

penalize for repeated comprehensive claims seems to be something that never used to happen but is becoming more common. As always, read your policy to find out for sure.

Progressive’s policy, for example, is:

" Comprehensive claims (events beyond your control)

Comprehensive claims include theft, vandalism, fire, chipped/cracked glass, hitting an animal, and acts of nature. They remain on your record for a period of years (typically three, but can vary by state) and could raise your insurance rate. But, because you have no control over these, insurance companies may not raise your rate as much as they will for an at-fault accident.

Insurers consider comprehensive claims because they suggest a higher risk for a future claim. For example: If you hit a deer once, insurers view you as more likely to have another claim.

Still, at Progressive, we won’t charge you for comprehensive claims under $500 unless it happens multiple times."

1 Like

I used to work for State farm, been out for 3 years. We never included or penalized for comprehensive and I thought they were some of the strictest when writing policies. Unless something’s changed or companies are just different

1 Like

Over the 10 or 12 cars I’ve had, I’ve never had to replace a windshield.

On my current vehicle I took rock in the first week.

This was a rare occasion where impatience won over frugality, and I pulled into the neighborhood Safelite location on the way home and paid list price for the repair.

This would have been < $100 if I’d made the appointment at the same Safelite location through Costco.

This isn’t the type of loss that’s worth insuring.

I should add that after this I looked at adding “full glass coverage” ($0 deductible) on our auto insurance policy, and there was no hope of breaking even on the additional premium.

Yeah…you have to have comp coverage to get the $0 deductible windshield in FL. For a leased car, this will of course always be the case.

I lucked out! My insurance company added the full glass coverage at $0 deductible for like 5 bucks per 6 months. They also offer gap for roughly the same amount. Unfortunately, as this is FL, the liability coverage is high :frowning:

1 Like

I don’t remember the exact math, but the break-even point for us would have been somewhere in the neighborhood of one windshield replacement every 2-3 years (keeping existing coverage and paying the deductible, vs. increasing the coverage and paying the additional premium).

Once upon a time, my wife had a 2010 Acura TSX. Somewhere between the garage and the house (My garage is attached to my house), she lost her keys. Against my own advice, I gave her the “how on god’s green earth could you lose the keys after pulling into the damn garage?” speech. Naturally, being the man of the house I turned my keys over to her and had to use the Valet Key when I drove the car. I knew the key was somewhere, and refused to pay $360 for a new one with programming from Acura. About a month later, the landscaper found it.

1 Like

Haven’t we all done that

1 Like

Wanted to share a discovery as I have not read about this on here as of yet. Looks like AAA has launched a Wheel and Tire Protection program of its own. For those of us who have low profile 20" rims, driving in NY, this might be worthwhile. My key takeaways from the program which makes it superior to those offered by the F&I Departments:

Price: $1575+tax for 3 years on a 2019 M850i (includes cosmetic, curb rash, tire and wheel replacement, paintless dent repair, key fob replacement)
No limits on cost or occurrences, except for key fob replacement $5k
Easy claims process directly through the dealer - they pay the dealer over the phone with a credit card after they initiate the claim.
Transferable
AAA membership not required
Best yet: you can add it at any time, and are not restricted to the F&I “now or never” time constraint pressure.

It is a regional program, and I confirmed this information for the Northeast, particularly in New York.

7 Likes

Here is a link to the program jay3 mentioned, in case anyone wants to check it out. I have no experience with it, just thought I’d post the link.

3 Likes

Did you say 5 grand to replace a key fob? That’s gotta be a typo

1 Like

“limits on cost”, so up to $5k

1 Like

Up to $5,000 coverage limit for key fob replacement(s) during term of the policy. So at $700 a clip, you are free to lose it 7 times!

Haha okay that makes sense. Might as well throw one into the Hudson then!

1 Like

Or lose an Aston DBS crystal key twice…

3 Likes

Are they expensive to tighten?