Don’t care for my car lease 5 months in. Any options

Hi, I leased a 19’ CX-5 GT with premium package. I’m 5 months into the 36/10 lease.What are my options to get something else without getting killed on numbers? I pay about $250 a month after I put 4K down. Thank you

So let me get this straight. You don’t want your leased car anymore? What is your reason for not wanting it anymore?

1 Like

There is an article written here that describes your options.

Mazda (using Chase at the time) doesn’t allow transfers, so your only option is to sell it or trade it in.

2 Likes

Take a serious bath, that’s your main option. Looks like no transfers with Chase either. I’d say live and learn, don’t put that much money down on a lease either.

1 Like

Zero unfortunately. All options will involve $$$. You could try Carvana/Vroom etc to see how much they’d give you for it but unless you got a significant discount I can’t imagine it’d be pretty and your $4k has vanished into nothingness.

I feel like someone else with a mazda had this same feeling about a month ago!

1 Like

Right on, IIRC it was a CX-3.

1 Like

This early in the depreciation curve? You’re prob a few grand below buy out plus say bye bye to your $4k down. Will cost you thousands to get out of it at this point. Just drive it for the remaining 31 months and learn next time.

My wife had a CX9 that took about 6 months for us to hate. What a pile that thing was.

About 24 months into the 36 month lease, carvana offered within a couple hundred dollars of the buy out, so we dumped it and got a honda passport. Much happier with it.

You’re going to be stuck with it a while before it doesn’t hurt too much to get rid of it.

1 Like

What are some of the problems if you dont mind? I was thinking of getting one but if there are issues that show up after a few months I might stay away.

Call Mazda and see what your options are. People exit leases all the time.

It will likely not be cheap, but why punish yourself for 31 months? Especially if you can afford it. Assumption on my part.

It’s like sports. You’re not trying to win every game. Just most of them. Chalk this up as one of those and move on.

The infotainment system is absolutely miserable. Often would take several minutes to come to life before you could do anything. Even after taking it into the dealer and getting fresh firmware, it was still 90+ seconds.

Technology lags behind the competition.

The center console/arm rest/gear shift area trim material is an absolute magnet for scratches. After 2 years, it looked like someone attacked it with a brillo pad. Yah, some plastic polish would clean it up temporarily.

The paint was incredibly soft, so it loved to get paint chips.

The transmission loved to clunk whenever you quickly took your foot off the accelerator.

3rd row is useless (which was fine for us, as we never once had the third row up), but the cargo floor is high and a bit oddly shaped.

I can’t think of any justifiable reason to pick one up over the competition right now. People say “oh, but the driving dynamics!”. It’s a slow, 3 row crossover. The driving dynamics aren’t anything impressive.

I’m not a fan of the Pilot but the Passport actually looks nice . Looked at an Elite the other day by walking by my local Honda dealer.

It’s the same vehicle from the c pillar forward, minus a bit of window dressing.

1 Like

giphy (23)

7 Likes

5 months in> 4K down> no transfer> costly exit…yea that sucks.

If you don’t want to killed on the numbers you’re going to have to ride it out until the buy out becomes something you can stomach.

And carvana and zoom are not doing purchases anymore

Zero options. You are going to get killed in numbers no matter what you do.

The only way out is to lease an Aston Martin for 1200 a month. You will still get killed on numbers but at least driving the Aston should be fun

6 Likes

Could always dump the negative into a Tundra or :taco: though

$5k negative on my Tundra challenge would put it under $400/mo+tax and done in 2 years!

2 Likes