Deal Check: Kia Telluride EX AWD

X7 is effectively 890/mo once you roll in taxes and make it 0 drive off with no MSD.

@mllcb42: I wish they would have said the car as a whole is garbage in the review. Why they would say the ride is solid and all
@betolozada: (personal opinion) I don’t like the exterior of either

Makes for a boring review if you don’t try to find at least something positive…

I don’t mind how the explorers I have driven in the past drove. It was just everything else about the experience that was bad.

Drive quality is a big deal for me as well… the infotainment and everything I was aware about and ready to live with. The stupid portrait is not even available in the trim I am looking at.
I was surprised they said the 3rd row is decent when all I have read is that Ford is the least spacious and not truly a third.
The big deal in the interior is the seat and leather going bad in just 4k miles and then the gaps in the wood trim… bleh

The overall interior quality on them is just so damn bad. It’s like they didn’t even try. Personally, I wouldn’t be able to live with that.

I am hunting for a review on the VW Atlas now (and I hope it is a good review) because if I rule out Ford with Kias / Hyundais not carrying any deals or leasing out at wild prices, I am basically not left with any options I have researched on

Kia Telluride is 745/pm with same parameters. 150p/m more for a car worth double? If you’re paying in that region p/m for a car, I think you can probably afford MSDs.

They generally get decent reviews. Pretty space efficient, for an SUV. Drives “okay” but not as enjoyable as most VWs. Cheap interior.

@mllcb42: question about the Hyundai AWD… does it also have a “decouple” technology to decouple the RW and just drive on FW to save gas when not needed.

The torque transfer depends on what mode you’re in.

In “Eco” mode, you get 100% power to the front wheels. “Comfort” transfers some to the rear depending on conditions. “Sport” does 50/50 front/rear. “Smart” switches between eco and comfort depending on how you drive.

This is pretty much in line with what I’ve seen. Great if you need the space. Entirely adequate otherwise. Doesn’t blow anything away, but it’s also not embarrassingly bad like the explorer interior.

Yes, most, if not all active AWD systems have the ability to decouple the rear axle through the use of clutch packs. It depends on the drive mode that’s selected.

Varying AWD systems can send as little as 10% of power to rear or as most as 60 to 90%. seriously depends on manufacturer and design.

MSRP does not equal worth.

I’m really surprised the Explorer is on your list. I’ve seen reviews that hated the second row of the Explorer, NTM the third.

Meant it as $ value, but yes.

Embarrassingly bad from a design/ergonomic perspective, or from fit-and-finish? I haven’t read too many Explorer reviews and have seen comments about the latter (for both interior and exterior). Apparently, the car doesn’t drive that well, either.

Yes to both, although design/ergonomics is a lot more of a personal thing. Fit and finish is just plain pathetic. There is no question that Ford’s target demographic for the new explorer is Hertz rent-a-car.

Which is really weird because they went to the expense of utilizing an RWD platform, clearly hoping fun-to-drive factor and good reviews would help it stand out in a sea of anonymous vehicles

I think it’s more of a case of they wanted the Aviator to reinvigorate the Lincoln brand and knew that a FWD platform that wouldn’t cut it, then used the explorer to help cost share the development of the platform for the aviator.

The aviator is a whole different class of vehicle. It proves that Ford can actually make a decent product if they try. It also proves that they didn’t try on the explorer.

The purpose of going RWD has nothing to do with fun to drive. Had to do with packaging to enable better towing capacity and accessories than transversely mounted FWD platforms with AWD differentials in the rear.

It also enabled them to share components with Lincoln premium vehicles. Mostly long term cost cutting. Too bad they completely botched the interior and everything else about the car. Still drives like a boat toaster.