Deal Check: Kia Telluride EX AWD

They got good reviews for how it drives compared to its class. Guessing that’s not an accident, they clearly put some time = money into that aspect of its development

They just didn’t realize no one in that class cares.

well I am surely late on replying…

@paranoidgarliclover: I just hope it is not as dead as the rogue / compass / cherokee / one previous version pathfinder

@mllcb42: thanks for sharing the information. To be honest with you I am more excited by the RWD thing at least for the sedan segment I would never go for a FWD but SUVs is a different detail all together I assume. I have been preferring AWD just thinking it may be 100% 4 wheeled like the AUDI or the ALFAs but then the more I research the “smart decouple” technology comes up. I googled RWD SUVs and all I get which I can look is the explorer, the 4runner(toyota!!!interiors!!!), the GC(overpriced!!) and the Durango(old!!). I am still researching…

@StingerTT: I have driven the previous version explorer… it drove well but gave a FWD kinda feel (pull) don’t you think a RWD would make it feel better. As I have experienced above sedan for sure but then SUVs I don’t know…

@max_g: it’s not that I don’t have it on my list. It was actually the most preferred but the more I realize about the interiors I thinking again. I mostly love the RWD thing and the boasty performance per some reviews but then transmission is also being complained about

That was also my understanding of the move to RWD. Unfortunate.

Ford can clearly do good work when motivated to do so, which makes you wonder why they don’t do so more often. I suppose if my company made the best selling automobile in the country, I’d probably let everything fall to sh*t, too… Rather short-sighted, IMHO.

Other than a big interior, It’s not a good review; check Motor Trend this month.

Bear

It’s possible to be RWD and not fun to drive. Look at any truck-based or large crossover. The explorer will not overcome physics just because it’s RWD now.

I have not seen any good reviews about it and Savagegeese (video posted above) did a great summation of what’s wrong with the explorer and all it’s let downs. Granted, he reviewed a 60k dollar Platinum, but still.

What’s the most impressive is that he reviewed the top trim and even it was that bad. I can only imagine how amazing the lower trims are where they actually cut corners.

He spent a lot of time blasting the premium sound system as worse than many basic sound systems you get from some other manufacturers. He measures sound systems with instruments and posts the results. Very in-depth reviews.

I completely agree on the review and the detail of it but considering the Hyundai / Kia options and VW just not upto it, although I haven’t see a single review which says the ride is bad or the acceleration is horrible (it’s okay), the Ford is still on the list.

I called a few dealers and would be updating the quotes on a separate post. God, they don’t share numbers easily I had to fight to get a split.

Stop calling dealers and asking for quotes. Figure out what these should lease for and then go after dealers to get someone to do the deal you want.

That’s where I started but there are no concrete ideas on what the discount should be on the MSRP or what are the dealer fees/etc. to fill the calculator. I thought I would take some quotes over emails that can be a starting point on how much discount they offer but all that went in the drain when they haven’t responded for over 10 days. I was tired of reading reviews and just hoping the lease would work rather than knowing what they are offering and my range of expenditure and run the numbers myself

When I was shopping for my Palisade Limited, there really weren’t too many other deals posted to gauge on. We know generally invoice for Hyundai’s are 5%, so take that and add a few more % on that, add incentive money and make an offer. We know these don’t get discounted as deeply as Volvo and BMW, so don’t expect to go much past 8-10% pre-incentives if you are lucky. Much better than waiting for a dealer to give you a crap quote.

There shouldn’t be too much trouble finding examples for Atlases, Explorers, etc. There are a few palisade leases on here that you can at least use as a lower bound. Telluride prices are going to hurt, but worst case scenario, price one out at MSRP.

Dealer fees and such can be estimated. If you’re off by $2-300, it’s not going to make a big difference in the end. Use the same dealer fees/gov fee estimates for any of the vehicles you’re looking at.

@mllcb42: I was priced the one listed on this post at MSRP. So if I use edmunds numbers and no discount on the telluride then I land up with this:

as I understand, anything near the price should be a good deal?

That gives you a starting point. The telluride is a horrible value at $800/mo. There’s no justification for taking one. That at least helps you compare though. Even at 5% off pre-incentive, which would be very aggressive on an SX telluride, you’re at about $700 /mo. I just don’t see the point.

2 Likes

Haha… true that… one more thing i am not too sure how these cars would be after a couple of years of ownership
I haven’t heard KIA to be the most reliable brand out there. This may be a game changer with a 10/10 score but hey who knows.

1 Like

Why does it matter when you are so adamant on leasing for only 24 months?

Kia and Hyundai these days are generally very reliable vehicle. 15 years ago? Not so much.

Just a general perspective… I am not too okay with non proven things being sold for over the MSRP or even at MSRP!

Hyundai I agree… I have been a renter… and I have tried to circle down on Hyundai just because of the decency the manufacturer offers. KIA… they are getting flashy looks that too now in the year but how are they if you wish to keep them?

One thing I don’t understand is what is the problem in opting for 24 months… take some $50 extra and give me the car… just referring to a lease deal I got which says 734 for 24 and 538 for 36… come on!!!