Dash Cam Recommendations

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

then why is it a mortal sin on here to put a downpayment on a lease if a crash let alone a writeoff is virtually nonexistent

1 Like

The impetus for most of this was the discussion of how dash cams are indispensable and somehow justified because of their benefits and the low, low price of only $0.74 a day. I didn’t inject cost or benefit, I just disagreed with a rather preposterous premise posted by someone else who was trying to link the two.

I have two $200 Breville toasters, which I am assuming you would find ridiculous, but I’m not here to tell everyone to run out and get one because they’ll each produce ~30,000 pieces of the best, most nutritious toast you’ve ever had for a billionth of a cent each, and that you’ll live forever if you toast my way.

1 Like

Thats like a Tesla sales tactic which I can not stand.

gas savings + federal tax credits + no maintenance cost…ya we get it but the upfront costs…ohhh dont worry about it’ll pay off in 10 years!

1 Like

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence from people here where dash cams have or would prove useful at a rate much greater than 0.04% per year. I know that I personally have had several incidents of people hitting my car in parking lots, etc where I’d love to have video to pursue repairs at a rate significantly higher than 0.04% per year. I don’t personally think that the rate of police-involved accidents is even within an order of magnitude of the rate of incidents where a dash cam would be beneficial.

Now, $800 is a price I’m not willing to pay, but I’m certainly entertaining some of the less expensive options.

1 Like

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

We don’t have GoPro cameras on our heads but most everyone has a cellphone with a camera (photos/ video) in their pocket. And use it, not just when driving but in cases where video evidence has proven crucial.

“Prove beyond a reasonable doubt” do you remember? And human memory is fallible. The best defense attorneys are masters at pocking holes in arguments and casting doubts.

How much will you pay for evidence that will exonerate you if you are accused of running a red light when circumstances make it look that way?
Or for evidence proving this person reversed into you and that you didn’t rear end?
Or for footage showing a horrific crash that hurt someone close to you?
Ever dealt with a lying LEO trying to cover his behind with his watch commander?

Forget the deductible and the lazy cops mishandling the Accident Police report, that’s if they even show up. In NYC or LA, unless shots are fired or someone is bleeding that’s hours, if they come at all. In CA they won’t even come to the scene for material damage to the cars only.

There you have it.

I did not mention pricing until you kept pressing for it before using “stats” to explain most people don’t even need a dash cam to begin with (what are you doing on Dash Cam thread pray tell?).
I try without success to help by breaking down the cost for you to use a logical argument.
It gets better, when I shared what I paid, you replied that Best Buy does it for $70 when you knew perfectly the comparison (install only) didn’t hold any sway… or even include convenience or the dash cam!

Then we had a mod or two jump in, blurt out that any camera will do (no it won’t since the footage is useless if not admissible in court or even useable when zooming onto an object in the distance) and a few polite forum members were insulted directly or indirectly with a snide remark/ comment/ tone by the Mod(s), including myself. @michael Please weed out the people who do not represent the Community Guidelines well enough.

Anyone considering going through the trouble of installing a dash cam should get front AND back for context and parking mode with IQ above all other considerations. Resolution is not an end game. Video bit rate matters, so do image sensor (SONY), processor (heat management and H.264 or H.265 compression) and lens quality (glass or plastic and # of elements).
Install it yourself to save too.
Money is not the problem. Knowledge is.

Those of who don’t care for dash cams, I created a thread for you, go camp there:
GOODBYE

3 Likes

Thanks for this request. Your voice is being heard, @Accelerate. We are listening to and value your opinion. And we certainly want to make sure that site users like yourself are following the Community Guidelines.

1 Like

Thank you. Please note, I was referring to everyone, including Mods!

Authority must be courteous and respectful at all time, no sarcastic childish participation and set the example and tone for the forums.
Otherwise, the best members you so desire to attract and retain as you build up won’t stay or participate.

1 Like

No.

This is rather an insurance and should/ can be considered as a part of ownership cost: get it and hope you will never need to use it. If you do however, it far surpasses the initial cost/ hassle from the emotional/ monetary viewpoints.

In my opinion, whose of us who have experienced alarming or even potentially mortal adversity in context of operating a vehicle and being out on public streets understand this without anyone needing to explain it in obvious terms. You read so throughout this thread even, several members stated personal examples.

You have conflated someone else’s posts with some of mine. I didn’t post anything until you started selling these as necessities for $0.74/day.

I don’t care how you spend your money, but sample a variety of threads in this forum, and you will find all kinds of opinions on why one thing or another is a terrible value.

Of course. :+1:

I have this one as well and it DOES make out licence plates, just like the $400 cameras.

1 Like

New york times has weighed in as well. Look for their article on the webpage

The best Wirecutter tested
I’ve had the best overall experiences with the Nextbase 522GW, Wirecutter’s pick for the best dash cam, and its smaller, less expensive sibling, the 422GW. Both record in 1440p, and they deliver some of the sharpest video I’ve seen at their price point.
In our tests, details in their footage were crisp, and I could easily read license plates that were fuzzier — or indecipherable — in footage from other dash cam models. Both of our favorite dash cams have bright, responsive touch-screens, as well as powered magnetic mounts that make them especially easy to remove or to reinstall on the windshield. The Nextbase smartphone app is also the best I’ve seen from a dash cam company.

Hey guys,

Lately I was involved into a hit & run and had a bad luck on finding who hit the car. To prevent from having this kind of incident in the future, I’ve decided to install a dash cam on my vehicle.

I want the dash cam to record while I’m driving and when the car is parked. After few days of my research, most of the dash cam in the market would turn on when the vehicle is on and will turn off when the vehicle is turned off.

Since I want the dash cam to roll when the car is off/parked, I was told to install a separate battery pack to roll when the vehicle is turned off.

However, the battery pack I was looking is approximately between $200~300

I think its too much and some dash cam offers the footage can be recorded during parking mode when there is any impact on the vehicle without using battery pack. Is this true? If so, would it drain my battery?

Also, do you guys recommend to use the battery pack? Based on my understanding, the battery pack is being charged when the vehicle is rolling and it generates power when the car is turned off.

There are so little information about this and would like to hear from the ones that actually have a dash cam and perhaps the battery pack (not the phone charging battery, an actual dash cam chargeable pack)

It would drain the small camera battery, but then it would shut off in a couple of minutes. I think that’s a better option than going all out and install a separate battery pack.

Most cameras have “emergency recording” that lasts about 15 sec, then the camera shuts off. That’s all you really need - the moment of impact.

Oh, thanks so you recommend not getting a battery pack correct?