Dash Cam Recommendations

So does that mean the dash cam would need to plugged into cigarette jack? So the camera would have an emergency record system that allow 15sec recording when the car is off with any impact on the vehicle. Am i getting this correctly?

Dash cams with emergency recording have a small Lithium Battery or capacitors internally to power on and record momentarily. I recommend models with an internal lithium battery as these will record longer at the detection of shock

1 Like

Like @NJ90V said. These cameras have built-in batteries that last about 5-15 minutes. Your camera needs to be plugged-in at all times, anyway. But make sure your power source cuts off when engine is off.

Go to dashcamtalk. A lot of whats posted here is incorrect.

Just for the knowledge - in what way having a camera helped you? Did you needed the recording to prove something to your insurance?

Yes, the other party put in a claim for $2k for damage to their wheels. We said we have the dashcam that shows the car did not hit the wheel. That was the last we heard regarding the wheel damage ā€¦

Many dash cams record in parking mode without requiring a separate battery pack. These cameras use the vehicle battery and are capable of monitoring the voltage so that when it drops below a pre-specified level, parking mode will end. Parking mode is activated with motion or shock detection and the sensitivity to these events is adjustable.

I posted my story a while back. A car hit the back of my car at a red light. The person then claimed I reversed into them and their insurance agreed with that. Luckily I had my dash cam which showed my car stationary and then it gets pushed forward. Their insurance reversed their opinion and paid after seeing that. So the cam was absolutely valuable.

3 Likes

That is just insane. How convincing was their story to believe that you decided to reverse at a red light for no good reason.

It absolutely made no sense and I was shocked that they believed it. But it was her word vs mine and her insurance sided with her (i guess it makes sense from a business standpoint)ā€¦ until they I informed them I had a dashcam and sent them the video.

3 Likes

Thanks @vhooloo and @JamesBond for sharing stories. I though this shit was only back in Russia or some uncommon insurance fraud stuff.

blackvue 750-2ch

Blackvue makes a great product. I often recommend the 590 instead of the 750 because it is less money and most people donā€™t seem to be satisfied with the BV cloud services anyway (which is the main feature difference between the two models). Iā€™d be curious to hear other BV cloud services user experiences.

Does anyone have any recent experiences with dash cams they like? Iā€™m considering the blackvue 590, but with how quickly consumer electronics change, figure there may be a new kid on the block.

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Is it worth investing into a Dashcam? Iā€™ve been driving for a little less than a decade and luckily didnā€™t get in an accident or hit&run. A few dings here and there in the parking lot but nothing major.

Yes. Part of the reason for getting a dash cam is that you donā€™t need it, until you do. It was only like $60 for a DR02, just check slickdeals every so often for when amazon deals are posted.

I have two Thinkware F800ā€™s and one Thinkware F200D. Happy with both models.

Kindā€™ve like insuranceā€¦ A few years ago, I got into an accident where someone fully lost control of their car in the center lane, swerved into my lane in front of me, hit the median and I hit him from behind. It was unavoidable. Yet the story they gave to the insurance company was that I hit them and then they lost control into the median. Although ultimately I was found 100% not at fault, I have put a dashcam in all of my cars ever since.

3 Likes

I have the blackvue 4k 2-ch and it works well.