Dash Cam Recommendations

Going to start reading through this thread right now. People are unreal.

In the past 2 days, I have had someone squarely rear-end my parked Toyota Camry, to the tune of $1400 in damage, at some point on Saturday night then at some point today someone rear-ended my brand new Tacoma that was also parked (outside Home Depot.)

In both instances, no one left a note.

I didn’t read through this thread but you would need a back up cam that allows you to record while the car is off and parked. I know Blackvue has this but it’s pricey.

Check https://www.jeepsareus.com. This is my go to place for mopar parts.

if anyone needs a referral in SoCal, my installer has put BlackVue front and back dash cams hardwired properly without a single issue in my last 6 cars. Comes to my place and on time too.

How much does the installer charge?

1 Like

Install alone? I never had him come just to install, he’s a BlackVue dealer so he shows up with the dash cam and it’s a flat fee for the cams, travel, install and electrical supplies to hard wire. There is a new model every year and I usually keep my cars 2 or 3 years. Have a DR650-2CH (2 gen old) and DR750-2CH (1 gen old) set for sale right now, take offs if you need one btw.

How much is the whole experience?

For higher end cars my local shop charges 200 for front, 200 for rear. It’s not hard to do yourself but I have snapped some trim pieces, one I epoxied and another I replaced for $10.

$690 and the DR900S-2CH (4K front and 1080p rear) jumped to $800.

Geez. Best buy does the install for a front one for $70 (at least 2 years ago).

Do they hardwire it to the fuse box? Do they go to you? Do they include the high res front and back dash cams in that $70.

I don’t get it…

Yeah, you don’t. A nice camera can be had for $100. Why in the world anyone would pay $600 for installation?

Sigh… show me a 4K dash cam front and back with WiFI and Bluetooth built-in and a decent companion app and frequent firmware updates for $100.

Yeah, talking smack is unbecoming of, what are you, a “Trusted Hackr” pffff

And you obviously didn’t pay attention either, scroll up to catch-up on the context for my comment to @JamesBond : the figure is for the dash cams front and back, supplies, hardwired/ installed, not having to go anywhere, not having letting anyone inexperienced and careless near my car etc etc etc

1 Like

It includes only the installation into the fuse box. They don’t come to you.
I don’t have $800 to drop on something that I will only need for 2-3 years (it is a leased car). But sounds like you are getting great service, to each their own.

Edit: i just realized that the camera itself is $400. Yikes.

It’s the best.

Well, I have been using dash cams before they became a thing in the US.

Leased car or not, it doesn’t matter. It’s the car you are in and if you drive daily $800/ (36*30) is … $0.74.

A must have IMO while driving.
It’s fantastic and invaluable in an accident. You can also move it to your next car although you’ll prob just get the newer/ better model in 3 years.
And if it is set up to work in parking mode properly, it won’t drain the car’s battery (the install includes a module that monitors the voltage and shuts the cam off if needed) while provided overnight surveillance. It also has WiFi built-in and cloud connectivity so if the camera has a programmed hotspot within range, it will alert via push notification. You can then check on it LIVE, video and sound!

I am sharing the info to help educate fellow members after getting on this thread and seeing people discussing $50 amazon garbage (good luck making out anything of significance zooming onto that footage produced by a sub-par image sensor, processor and lens). There are forum mods spreading misguided info on here.

Manufacturers are now starting to build video recording capability into their head units.
I’ll take OEM over after market as soon as possible.

1 Like

It’s great if you love electronics and you have the disposable income, but it’s disingenuous to pass these off as indispensable safety devices for Joe Commuter.

If you are between 30 and 39 your odds of being in a crash are 328 per 100,000,000 vehicle miles.

Over the course of a 3/36 lease (assuming you use all the miles), that’s:

(328/100,000,000) * 36,000 = 0.12%

Or

0.04% per year.

Spending $800 on cameras and installation – to do what? – for that small of a risk is exceptionally silly and wasteful for the stated purpose. The cameras neither prevent accidents nor insure against anything, they just make a record of what happened.

If you are unlucky and you are one of the 4/100ths of 1% of the people in this age group who have an accident each year, worst case you are out a $500 or $1,000 deductible.

Of course you may also be injured or die, but the cameras do nothing to reduce the chances of those outcomes either.

1 Like

Nice thing about Blackvue is you can add the power pack and record while the car is parked.

1 Like

Most people would be quite satisfied with a good quality cheaper, front only, cameras. That was my point.

That didn’t take much lol
Why don’t you unhide your profile so we can see how long you’ve been on LH and other stuff? Maybe someone even wants to PM you for your installer contact, but they can’t.

Those are only police reported crashes. Conservatively I would double the incidence rate to gets closer to the real number.

Now I’ve said before that the chances of a total loss event are pretty low (only a subset of accidents are total loss), which is why the internet hysteria of a thousand or two DAS is so overblown.

Back to dashcams it also depends where you’re driving and around me in urban environments bad driving seems to be going up rapidly. So I’m looking for the sweet spot of a good quality cam at a decent price, not the absolute best but also not the poor quality ones.

1 Like

OK, triple that from 0.04% to 0.12%.

99.88% chance you won’t get into an accident in a given year.

And my entire post was about dash cams.