Dash Cam Recommendations

The dashcam subreddit has a great recommendation chart on their side bar. I would would take a look at it.

1 Like

This place is a good source for dash cams at some pretty low prices. Ive purchased 4 from there with good luck.

https://www.gearbest.com/dash-cam-_gear/

Iā€™m a bit torn, Audi now has a dash cam available which id prefer since it works well with the mirror set up but itā€™s $500 and the image quality is not even that great.

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised itā€™s taking this long for car companies to install their own dash cams, they already have all the sensors for lane assist, blind spot monitoring so why not install a camera within the windshield, dash cams are $100-$300. I would opt for that feature immediately when buying a car with that option.

As would I.

I suspect a good number of folks however would not like the idea of being ā€œspiedā€ on. The reality is that the dash cam can both exonerate you, as well as convict you, depending on what occurred. It is my understanding that if a camera is installed and video evidence available, but it is not presented and/or deleted, it can lead to some legal gray areas. I am certainly not knowledgeable in this field, but I have heard it opined that this is obstruction of justice, etc.

I have this from Amazon. So far it has been less trouble and just working around. The image quality is good day and night.

I just canā€™t deal with a camera hanging off my windshield with wires. I like a very clean dash which means either a discrete set up that requires installation or an oem type unit.

1 Like

I bought this one for all 3 of my cars, SD card was sold separately.

the package comes with small pins so that you can tuck the extra hanging wires inside your windshield trims. I love the clean setup.

This is my set up. I like a clean dash too, but too cheap to pay pros. Wire hides in the headliner and the A piller.

1 Like

I have this same one on both of our cars. Donā€™t even notice itā€™s there and very easy to tuck the wires out of sight. :+1:

I agree this is a great camera but just get it direct from china and cut out the middle man and save $110

It ā€˜couldā€™ be the same camera, but could be a copy shell with crappy hardware. At least on Amazon there are reviews to go by and better return policy. Ali sells similar looking cameras as low as $20, so you never know.

Is this true that if you delete the footage from the dash cam it would be obstruction of justice?

WTF!? Really? Its your dash cam you could do whatever you want with it. I was always afraid that my dash cam would not exonerate me but convict meā€¦lol.

I do know because I bought this camera and have been using it for years. The ones on Amazon are the exact same thing. Where do you think they are made North Carolina? If it makes you feel better to pay an extra $100 to buy form Amazon thatā€™s your prerogative. You are paying for several middle man.

I am not a lawyer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I have heard this is the case. But I am not at all sure about it.

It makes total sense if it incriminates you. Say youā€™re in an accident thatā€™s your fault, and the cop sees you have a camera. He (or someone) requests footage to see what happened. You suddenly ā€œloseā€ the footage. Thatā€™s obstruction.

Thatā€™s the same as you being witness to a crime, being called to testify, and suddenly ā€œnot remembering what you saw.ā€

That said, IANAL.

Clips get overwritten by default when the memory cardā€™s capacity is reached. So it may happen without your involvement sooner or later.

Doesnā€™t matter where itā€™s made. Did you compare the image quality on both? I think not. Perhaps your $40 camera records in 480, but claiming 1080 and thatā€™s good enough.

But then again, Amazon camera does not have this awesome feature, so you are ahead. :grin:

A friend of mine is use the same camera.

It was a long time ago. I switched to YI dashcam.