Corvette to launch as a brand in 2025

Thoughts?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a42096801/corvette-brand-2025/

Maybe a minivan as well. And a commuter car that gets good MPG (The new Corvette Cruze).

Iā€™ve always wanted a Corvette.

5 Likes

Donā€™t really care what badge is on them. But the new EV architecture sounds good, mainly the 2-speed transmission(ala Taycan), 800v system, four-wheel steering.

The mechanical package apparently includes battery packs with high energy density, superfast software, a patented cooling concept, staggered Lego-like topographic packaging, miniaturized componentry, ultra-efficient inverters, high-revving electric motors, an 800-volt electrical system that provides up to 350 kW of charging power, a two-speed transmission, brake-by-wire, multi-mode four-wheel steering, and torque vectoring.

How much more ridiculous looking could they possibly get?

3 Likes

14 years after unwinding 2 1/2 brands, everything old is new again.

Whomever developed this strategy must not have been required to read as many case studies as I was on Scion and Prius (which from the time the Gen2 arrived was intended to be a sub-brand).

:man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Itā€™s just a way for them to cut the dealers out - will be a boutique brand ala Polestar, Scout, Rivianā€¦

4 Likes

Great idea GM.

They mustā€™ve hired Cathie Wood as a consultant for this great idea.

Mary Barra and Cathie Wood went into a bar, when they left it was an online store that could snail mail their customers a room temperature rail drink (and sadly went out of business).

2 Likes

Probably will be a sub brand like Range Rover, Wagoneer, mustang. Donā€™t think theyā€™ll spin up dedicated showrooms like genesis

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t mind an EV Vette Van. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am actually pondering buying some ARKK if it gets hammered a bit more. :crazy_face:

I was literally laughing out loud as I read about a strategy that some people are playing around with. They wait to see what Cathie buys and then they short it! Apparently this approach has been making alot of moneyšŸ˜†

3 Likes

That has been playing well with the recent downturn of the last year, a strategy of buying when everyone is selling Is not very wise I think. But think most people knocking her havenā€™t had even a fraction of the success that sheā€™s has playing tech stocks really well.

1 Like

The McKinsey consultants have gone too farā€¦ in a way I commend Elon for bringing something new to an industry that has moved away from doing anything bold. Now if others would follow him and create innovative designs and ideas would be awesome

I was going to comment that Chevy had already killed the Corvette. There is only a bit left to destroy.

As someone that knocked her only a few comments above, I agree with this. She did play the tech run-up well and became very successful from it. Interested to see if she can bounce back.

But then she makes a comment about BTC being worth $1MM per coin by 2030 and I wonder if her run-up was sheer luck. Time will tell.

1 Like

If you bought ARKK in March 2020, you have been up 400% and today you are only down 10%. If only you had the foresight to buy into her hype and exit in February 2021ā€¦

As for me, I had a check-in with my FP yesterday, and he reminded me that I sold a bunch of SPY in late January 2021 because I was the only client panicked that the top 10 stocks were both over-valued and the index itself was lopsided. The stocks I rotated that money into are slightly up but paid a years worth of dividends. But we all have ups-and-downs, I wash-sold five figures in stock I plan to keep for the duration just to harvest the losses (2022 has been a good year). 20% of my portfolio is tech, but all of the Tech names I own are capable of making money, not just existing when the cost of capital is 0%. I play 100% with my own money, CW plays with a lot of other peopleā€™s money, and the last couple years have been a bloodbath.

See also

1 Like

I had the same thought. I think itā€™s a smart play but that will depend on the product they put out. Itā€™s hard not to associate the brand with an older crowd.

I am not a marketing person, but doesnā€™t the relatively failure of those 2 sub-brands also have to do w/ market position and product?

I assume spinning off an up-market sub-brand usually works better than the reverse.

Also, aside from the first-gen xB, nothing that Scion produced was particularly noteworthy, no?

As for Prius, the C was supposed to be a stinker, and the V didnā€™t seem all that diff from the ā€œregularā€ Prius.

I think Corvette 4-doors and SUV could work just fine, as long as the products are suitably upscale and drive well. See Porsche, Ferrari (maybe), Aston Martin (sort of), Lambo (sort of). I still think Lambo shouldā€™ve brought the Estoque into production.

What exactly was the success of FCA turning RAM and SRT into their own brands?

4 Likes

There is a longer answer here but Iā€™ve already said enough. If Buick and Lincoln donā€™t answer your question: Corvette is a halo car for low end Chevy/GMC buyers, I donā€™t think commoditizing it translates but Iā€™d want to see market research.

Before Genesis was a brand, Hyundai stores were all stuck with at least one unsellable Equus (aka the Korean Phaeton)ā€¦

They sold a bazillon tCs and the FRS which I think Toyota still says (Subaru still sells the BRZ).

The first Prius sub-brand vehicle announced after the G2 Prius was a minivan that never was.