Corvette to launch as a brand in 2025

This is one of the biggest issues…sure GM can make some things drive well, but they always fail to do anything completely upscale. GM and their bean counters will never fully commit and go head to head with the materials utilized in actual luxury brands. Take a seat in a Range Rover and take a seat in an Escalade - big difference. Drive them - monumental difference. Arguably, that’s their achilles heel.

The other issue relates to dealer network and service. Nobody in their right mind is going to voluntarily forego German/Italian/English whatever dealership treatment to deal with the GM network. It sounds trivial but when you’re used to a service advisor rolling out the red carpet in a premium dealership and getting nice loaners when your car is in for service, there’s no way you’re going to drive your Corvette SUV in for an oil change, stand in line behind Karen complaining about the oil consumption on her 4cyl Equinox, and snag a cloth seat Blazer for the day.

The commitment is what’s going to make this a success or a flop. If they pull out all the stops and truly invest in this “Corvette” brand with top shelf materials, competitive fit and finish, and top tier dealership treatment that is differentiated from the rest of the GM brand, sure this could be the start of something.

Sadly, however, I’d wager this is going to be another half hearted attempt by GM only to be swatted down by bean counters and ultimately be less than half of what it could, or should, have been.

1 Like

Funny you say that…last night in Costco gas line, lane over sat a brand new candy apple red vette, rumbling up to the pump. Was hoping a hottie would pop out and flip her hair, but no. Old fart in a Polo and jeans, could barely get out and walk to the pump. Slumped over a low car trying to pump gas with a bad back. At least he goes fast on the road!

2 Likes

So is the lesson that spinning off a sub-brand (at least in the automotive space) just doesn’t work, regardless of sales?

Agree. I should’ve clarified my statement that “suitably” meant, “Suitably for a Corvette.” I listed the other brands to make the point that expanding the portfolio didn’t kill those brands (and likely added a ton of $$$ to the bottom line).

I think your reference to the Escalade actually makes part of my point. Buyers presunably flock to the Escalade, even though it’s clearly based on lesser products and doesn’t really match its competitors in any objective way. The bling is what counts there.

So, for the Corvette sub-brand, if it looks racy enough, drives well enough, and has a flashy-enough interior (I’ve not sat in a current gen Corvette, but it’s got a neat looking interior and I imagine fit and finish is comfortably above any other Chevy product), AND if it can play the value card like the Corvette does, I think the sub brands will do well enough.

I know that the C&D article says that an insider says that the Corvette models “share nothing” w/ other GM products, but I can’t imagine that’s the case (esp regarding chassis/battery packaging/etc.). So the other models may not even need to sell that much to justify their existence.

I totally agree w/ you about the service experience, though. Wonder if they will have some sort of concierge service?

1 Like

While I don’t think the Corvette sub-brand is a terrible idea, I think a Camaro and/or Escalade sub-brand is… not good.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a42097052/gm-escalade-camaro-brands/

The Corvette sub-brand would work, they trying to compete with luxury super cars that have 2-door/4-door and now SUV

Escalade and Camaro, yeah I don’t see that working lol

I’m willing to bet Cathy owns very little tech stock personally. That’s usually how these charlatans typically operate. They’re all down with OPP when it comes to theirs they’re in cash, real estate, art and wine.

Why not dig deeper into history? Maybe start with a Monza minivan or a Caprice crossover.