Charge Up NJ - Phase 4 (FY24)

The NJ BPU has recently released a compliance filing regarding the updated terms of the Charge Up NJ program for the 2024 Fiscal Year. The incentive terms are as follows:

MSRP < $45,000 = Up to $4000 (unchanged)
$45,000 < MSRP < $55,000 = Up to $1500 (down $500 from $2000 FY23)

• (unchanged) NJ Residents only (verified with DL), remain resident of NJ for 2 years after purchase/lease, must purchase/lease on/after the official start of the FY24 program, must maintain ownership or active lease agreement with registration with NJMVC for a minimum of 3 years (minimum 36-month lease), maximum 3 incentives per applicant in the 10-year active program period

Electric Vehicle Charger Rebate Remains unchanged

Incentive Program History:

Phase 1

• Up to $5000 for EVs, MSRP < $55k
  • Post-Sale Rebate

Phase 2

• Up to $5000 for EVs, MSRP < $45k
  • Up to $2000 for EVs, $45k < MSRP < $55k
  • Point-of-Sale Incentive

Phase 3

• Up to $4000 for EVs, MSRP < $45k
  • Up to $2000 for EVs, $45k < MSRP < $55k
  • Point-of-Sale Incentive
  • EV Charger Incentive Rebate - $250

Charge Up NJ (FY24) Compliance Filing (Draft for Public Comment):

Notice of Public Hearing (June 2, 2023, 12:30 PM EST):

7 Likes

Wow… they announced that quickly. Is it expected to start in July?

Your historical breakdown is incorrect btw… may have just been a typo.

Phase 2:

Phase 3:

I thought it was always up to $4k with MSRP up to $45k
phase 1 $5k post sale was great. Most dealers didn’t know about it.

If I remember correctly, since the Model 3 was eligible with Phase 1 for the full $5K, the total allocation was gone very fast.

My Phase 3 was a typo but for Phase 2 that was the proposal but it didn’t stand well with the public, here was the updated: https://njcleanenergy.com/files/file/BPU/2022/Revised%20Charge%20Up%20New%20Jersey%20Filing%20Feb%202022.pdf

Just going to leave these here;

https://publicaccess.bpu.state.nj.us/DocumentHandler.ashx?document_id=1304397

https://publicaccess.bpu.state.nj.us/DocumentHandler.ashx?document_id=1305191

Docket is still under review…

“Lastly, the requirement that the MSRP at time of funding match the MSRP at time of delivery is confusing and seems to only encourage dealers to not take advantage of this offering. Why would a customer whose MSRP is reduced between order and delivery no longer qualify for an incentive? Similarly, why would a customer whose MSRP increased for some reason but still falls under the MSRP cap, no longer qualify for an incentive? If the issue is when a MSRP is reduced to the point where a customer now qualifies for a higher incentive, then the BPU should simply say that the customer will be eligible for the incentive amount available to them at time of order if they choose to reserve funding at time of order.”

The program was launched in order to promote affordability for EVs. No one willingly will place a non-refundable order deposit on a vehicle they know they can’t afford. You should have known when placing your order that you were not eligible for any state incentive because the car you had the intent of purchasing was beyond the MSRP limits, same goes for a vehicle under 55k that drops below the 45k threshold, no need to increase the incentive. It’s that simple, you agreed to the terms prior. If you really wanted to take advantage then place a new order.

1 Like

Will this be applicable to the M3 rwd? Is it applied up front as a POS?

I had a dealer that was kind of leading me in the direction of placing an order with the kinda sorta promise of being able to take another unit when the program goes live again but this gave me pause. I don’t want to end up in a situation where I’m not eligible for the incentive, it defeats the entire purpose of what I’m looking to do.

If you placed an order while the program was still active, and your order was within the qualifications to approve for the rebate, the dealer (if they know what they’re doing) should have submitted the paperwork with the state to reserve the funds for your incentive for when your car was delivered. That’s why there is a 1/2 week better after they close the program for the dealers to file the paperwork.

Has this passed yet?

Do we know when the start date would be?

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

Phase 2: July 6, 2021
Phase 3: July 25, 2022
Phase 4, July ??, 2023

We will just have to wait on them

2 Likes

With the model 3 refresh coming soon, there’s potential to get a discount on inventory units along with $7.5k credit + $4k.

If the refresh switches batteries the federal rebate could get cut.

1 Like

https://publicaccess.bpu.state.nj.us/DocumentHandler.ashx?document_id=1306498

It’s official. FY23 will open sometime after July 1st, 2023

2 Likes

31.7 million alotted for FY 2024

Dont see anything on Tesla website for state incentives anyone got a clue if and when it kicks in?

1 Like

It will be here soon enough, it usually gets leaked the night before. Just some patience until it comes.

3 Likes

How does the MSRP calculated?
Is it only the base model MSRP or trim upgrades be included.
Would federal credit offset MSRP to make some car eligible?

All upgrades are included. Only exclusions are “line items that have no affect on future value” such as destination, doc and order fee.

No.

1 Like