Can I charge an EQS SUV using my dryer plug from second floor apartment?

Personally, I like variable pricing as a means of demand managementšŸ‘

The easiest way to drive behavior is usually through our pocketbooksšŸ’°

2 Likes

That battery size in the EQS would take 4 days to charge on a 110V. Lol I tried charging my Etron through my condo window and it would have taken 72hrs. Not worth the hassle and time. Find yourself the Electrify America stalls and spend those 30min there. Its FREE with your car.

I spoke to my condo association and I was quoted $10k to install a level 2 in my spot.

3 Likes

From prior experience, condo associations are not interested in infrastructure changes dedicated to one person.

Using a communal spot to install a charger accessible to everyone (with a billing system) is much more likely to fly and not cause a dent in any individualā€™s wallet.

1 Like

I advocate for differential pricing on these stations as a Tesla owner but also maybe it makes EA step up their game.

Iā€™ll tell you something though. If it was .50c/kWh Iā€™d still pay it driving a non-Tesla knowing the charger I will need actually works.

2 Likes

This is where Tesla has an advantage were stall work and charging speeds are somewhat consistent. I can pull up to 3-5 EA chargers and 2 be out of order and 1 may be ok and rest spit out 95KWh from a 150kw stall.

Here in NYC Tesla chargers are not open to non Teslas yet. Need to drive to Long Island 30 miles out.

2 Likes

Where do you live?

Depending on the town/city/county/state/country and electric utility your landlord may receive assistance from the government and/or electric utility to install a charger(s) for free or with significant subsidy.

1 Like

Thank you every one for your great help.

Looks like no EV for me till I get house built. Going to put enough solar on it to power the cars and home for free.

For now ima stick with new GLE/ CPO GLS.

Dont think GLS got a face lift this year unlike GLE 2024.

Going to pollut the air for 2-3 more years. Feels kinda shitty but not much I can do right now I guess.

1 Like

Thereā€™s something like this, I think itā€™s OK?

1 Like

Can anyone recommend level 2 charger? I just leased eqs and have 220v outlet in the garage. Donā€™t want to buy expensive since wonā€™t keep the car for long but donā€™t want to buy cheap for safety. Also too lazy to charge for free at their ChargePoint free rates

figure out what type of 220v you have before you go buy a level 2 with the right output.
Your dryer plug could be just 30A

Without having easy access to a charger, you are going to regret owning an EV. There will be more than a few times you will need your car without enough charge to get you where you want to be .

1 Like

@perdana sells chargers through the startup he works at

1 Like

ok so now Iā€™m looking at 2024 GLE 450 plug-in coming out this summer for that sweet 7.5k rebate, Do the new plug-ins charge themself using the electricity created while driving on gas?

1 Like

Charge themselves? No, they just keep running on gas and charge the tiny 12V battery used to start.
And the efficiency of using a Gas Powered Motor to charge an Electric Battery to power a Hybrid car is pretty bad.

Edit : Let me double check that as I heard about a PHEV that actually uses the motor to charge the car, ah that was the Mazda Rotary and itā€™s experimental.

1 Like

do you think running a regular 110v 20-30feet cable from second-floor apartment out the window would charge the 30kwh battery overnight?

we do have 110v plugs at the warehouse but I have to hide the cable and park the vehicles in my truckā€™s loading gate.

Thatā€™s really dangerous you know especially as the ā€˜bendā€™ in the window to the ground can cut that wire pretty fast.

Hereā€™s what I know.

• GLE 450 is 70 mile range
  • Level 1 110v is 5miles per hour (So this is 14 hour charge from empty)
  • Level 2 (Slow) (220v) dryer plug is 10 miles per hour. (so 7 hours)
1 Like

My work is like 5mins away/4.5miles from my apartment and so the vehicle would be parked at the apartment for most of the day (10) or at the warehouse (10-12H) while I work.

ty for the numbers, 5 miles per hour sounds perfect, idk where you getting 70 miles, iv heard itā€™s only 30-40max, but thatā€™s from a tester who rode and empty the battery recently.

40 max / 5 = 8 hours not bad. 99% of the time the battery would just need to be topped off for 2-3hours it seems.

I could just charge it up at the warehouse for free lol

Thereā€™s a guy who I believe is based out of Jersey City, NJ with the IG handle ubuygas who utilizes a very similar setup, although he wraps his cord around a utility pole or tree so it does not cause a trip hazard on the ground. Id be wary of this as drawn for a variety of reasons but the biggest would be trip hazards. At the very least you would need a cover for the cord to prevent anyone from getting hurt and you being liable for it.

1 Like

Itll charge itself just like every other normal hybrid does. It wont generate a significant amount of excess charge like you get when plugging in though.

1 Like