Can I charge an EQS SUV using my dryer plug from second floor apartment?

Charge there and forget the out-the-window death trap.

5 Likes

I would heavily recommend to NOT plug this into the wall in your place and run the cable outside, just use the plug at work. The cables that come with the level 1 charger from MBZ is quite short (intended to be used indoor in a garage) and you are not supposed to use any type of extension cord. Just imagine if someone trips themselves or a fire starts, you could face a legal nightmare and you’d deserve it IMO.

1 Like

Don’t get too excited. If it’s anything like the iX or Volvo C40 programs, the rebate might as well not be there.

Yes there’s a $7,500 line item on the paperwork but the RV and MF are so bad it’s still a bad lease.

1 Like

I was hoping apartment insurance would cover it

so better just to lease/buy a regular 350 4matic?

Man…you’d be risking a ton to save a few bucks on gas, how would that ever be worth it? Have you noticed that everyone has said do not do this? The people here have said it, the manufacturer has said it, the electrical codes say it…don’t do it.

Edit- what if it started a fire that spread to other units below you? What if someone burned to death from your action?

3 Likes

Nah, theyll happily saddle you with the bill for negligence

2 Likes

I dont drive alot, and I had a Polestar EV last year, and I was not charging at home, so I used to bring to the charging station. I was taking 3 trips a month instead of 1 gas station trip. Plus EV station charging time may vary even though if you go to the exact same station. Plus it would take 30-45 min to charge on each trip instead of 5 min gas station trip. To factor the time cost on each trip, EV was more hassle for my case. May be, if they had the charging port at my office location, then I could live with the EV.

1 Like

just going to charge at the docking area for my work truck, the 110v plug is right behind the door so like need a 10-foot cable

Best to use a heavy-duty outdoor-rated extension cord. It’s the continuous load to keep an eye out for. Regular extension cords… meh… probably wear out and melt/burn eventually. That’s why you see so much anecdotal evidence of poor quality outlets melting and causing home fires.

1 Like

so like this water proof one?

Do you own the warehouse?
If not, will the owner allow you to add an external 220v outlet?

Spending 1k will save you a lot of hassle plus you’ll be able to use for future vehicles

1 Like

Dude any kind of cord out of the window to charge an EV is blatantly negligent. I hope anyone who does this receives criminal charges for endangering everyone else in the neighboring area.

It’s a non starter. Do not pass go.

1 Like

I wouldn’t go smaller than 10 AWG

Let’s see what the programs/prices look like. But yeah it’s very plausible that the 350 will be the better TCO.