Can I charge an EQS SUV using my dryer plug from second floor apartment?

Seeing people getting these nice deals on EVs, it seems now I might find one for myself and I need to think of charging the Vehicle. I live in a luxury apartment in my area and was wondering if could I charge my EV using a long cable I run from the dryer plug that I don’t use to the vehicles that would be under the carport that is right in front of my apartment?

has anyone experienced doing this?

No, do not do that

9 Likes

No, your dryer is most likely on a 30A breaker.

1 Like

ask your building management to install a EV charger - offer them to share costs they might even approve you

regular outlet will prolly blow the building’s electricity

1 Like

Without knowing the setup or equipment installed, it would not be advisable. You’ll probably need a heavy duty extension cord (like really heavy duty) that can deal with exterior weather. OEM EVSE’s that come with the car are typically 20-25 ft long. The challenge with EVSE’s are the sustained/continuous loads placed. That’s how fires start and typical household setups are not for these loads.

If you don’t have the ability to charge at home, EV’s may not be a good fit. Even with free EA charging, that assumes the stations are working and easily accessible. Most EA locations have only 4-6 stations and I see them usually occupied… or out of order :joy:

2 Likes

Thats not the problem. There are compatible evses. Its the extremely long extension cord carrying 240v out a window, exposed to the elements, thats likely both a code violation and a housing lease violation thats the issue.

11 Likes

Great Idea, too bad it’s Saturday, ill talk to them Monday.

How much do you think it would be to add one?

Somewhere between $200 and $5000 probably

(Im not being a smart ass)

6 Likes

I wouldn’t mind paying up to 2k for it anything higher would be a harder sell for me.

Mercedes says their EV can charge up to 80% in 30 minutes, you think I could use the dealership charger, it’s 5 mins from my home and work.

Further encourage consumers to drive electric, Mercedes has also partnered with Electrify America to provide two years of free 30-minute charges at any of their designated charging stations. Their website can help you plan a road trip and plot out charging points ahead of time.

Sadly not a single charger on that link is closer than an hour to me fml.

After having had probably 10 EVs over the years my anecdotal conclusion is that Tesla superchargers are the only ones that can be relied upon for charging away from home😤

6 Likes

Please don’t. Use a slow 110v cable or use external chargers

1 Like

There is a Tesla charger at the olive garden like 10mins away, can I charge there?

I think I heard recently they allow other ev to charge using their network and when ever iv been its never more than 2-3 tesla out of like 8 chargers.

No you can’t unlock the charger. look for chargepoint, electrify America (free 30 mins/ day) or evgo

1 Like

You should 100% do this. In fact, if you don’t have an extension cord long enough, you can get a bunch of surge protectors and just plug one into the other until it reaches your car. /s

You need to explore the infrastructure abilities and seriously consider if an EV is actually right for your life. Don’t let the dazzle of a new toy trick you, Mercedes EQ series of cars are monuments to compromise.

11 Likes

Dude you will make him burn down the whole building

3 Likes

Its highly unlikely the dealer has a dc fast charger at it. Probably just level 2.

2 Likes

Not until they install a magic dock local to you.

2 Likes

whats dazzling me is that people are able to lease electric S series SUVs cheaper than gas-powered E class SUVs and I don’t want to miss out lol

And man, I think this is going to ruin the Tesla supercharger network (as in the ease of use for Tesla customers) :frowning:

2 Likes

Its going to open up huge amount of government funding which should enable installing way more charging locations. Having brand specific charging infrastructure hurts everyone.

1 Like