Camaro LT1 in NJ deal check

OK…

1. So he is claiming higher tax, therefore the payment went down? LOL!
  2. The tax applies to SELLING PRICE over $40k. Your sale price is under that threshold, or at least it should be.
1 Like

Look at how this has gone, in the space of a few hours you have just saved $75 x 39, or $2925 :grin:

In my opinion, for this car at this time at that MSRP this is probably a signable deal if its a car you want. As others have mentioned, there is probably some more meat on this bone, but this dealer may want that for themselves.

In the end, who cares how the dealer chooses to get to the number, let them have the luxury and/or perceived flexibility to arrive there. Let them even think they were correct and you didn’t have any idea what you were doing and you are a complete tool. :grin: It doesn’t matter if you are at a comfortable point with the financials.

Still about a week left in the month. Mull it over for a few days and I think you can get it to the $340s if you push, or be happy and sign at $350/$350. Either way its a great deal for $41k msrp. Most LT1 deals on here are under $40k msrp.

1 Like

Yeah, shenanigans probably. If the OP wants this car though, it is probably better to consider not calling the dealer out on it as it creates an adversarial relationship. I would be happy for the dealer to retreat without forcing them the embarrassment of waving the white flag at the same time😁

1 Like

This does not apply in your case. It’s over $45,000, not $40,000. And it’s less than an EPA rating of 19 mpg combined. This car is exactly 19 mpg combined.

1 Like

True true✔️

For the OP’s reference, mine was $39,475 at an effective $331. I obviously considered my deal signable, even though I knew it was not by any stretch a top-tier deal. Some
other guys :arrow_up: blew the curve for the rest of us :slight_smile:

That fuel tax is worth $42.40 a month alone over 39 months and it doesn’t apply to this car. Take that out and you’re at $307.60 a month.

Holy smokes…The Magnum PI of GMF and NJ taxes is uncovering some serious coin💰

3 Likes

6 Likes

I’m gunna hang for a day but I think I am in. Thanks guys and gals

Verify the fuel tax with them. If that’s their hangup, they are wrong and can’t charge that. What I posted is word for word from the law, in addition to the EPA rating for this car, which is also on the window sticker. But if you agree to pricing with the tax included they will just find a way to charge it somewhere else.

Based on the parameter of creativity alone, I believe automotive finance managers are second only to the likes of painters, dancers, and perhaps some musicians.

1 Like

If you really want to spin his head

“It’s math not magic”.

1 Like

Personally, I’d be a pedantic asshole about it.

I’d write back and say something like “Oh, I see, so the price is $304/mo without the tax surcharge, but when you’re including that .4%, it bumps it up to the price you’re asking?”

and when they responded back with “exactly, see we’re not trying to pull a fast one!”, I’d send the legal jargon showing that it didn’t apply and say “fantastic, now that we’ve sorted out that doesn’t actually apply here, when are you available for me to sign at $304/mo, since you clearly said that was the price without the tax”

2 Likes

Dealers send everything over to an outside title and tag agency who handles all this stuff, so they should verify the tax situation with them if necessary. But the law is what it is and this car is (by the skin of it’s tailpipes) not subject to the NJ gas guzzler tax.

Go nuts :eyes: if you don’t want to deal with headache of dealerships.

He’s already put in the work and has a similar deal lined up. Save yourself the $500 broker fee on this one, and use it for a future deal.

2 Likes

While I agree, in case the dealer ends up being difficult, it’s the exact payment he previously wanted.

He said he was putting the deal on ice. Doesn’t hurt to have options, different color etc.

I probably wouldn’t do this deal.

OP as an example, I’ve got a pending deal w/ the contract sitting on my coffee table.

41,xxx MSRP
39/12
Tax, plates included
$1500 conquest w/ no healthcare or supplier - total of $1500 for rebates
$387 w/ $387 DAS.

My deal isn’t going to wow anyone but I’m a picky buyer… I wanted tech + exhaust + RS on a manual so I’m very limited on options.

I’d keep shopping OP.

5 Likes