Buying a used Tesla?

So it’s not that fun to drive and you only get a couple laps out of it at the track when you do go, and no easy way to recharge at the track…

I don’t see the appeal of this as a fun track car, but to each their own.

1 Like

The wall of torque off the line makes for a giggle factor that’s off the charts. Let’s not forget gas engines can heat soak as well which can rob a good amount of power.

1 Like

Most tracks have chargers available, you can always charge it there. I track for lap times, I don’t really need to stay for a full 20 min session as I know tires and brakes will be jello after a few hot laps. I would rather do 3 hot laps than to run 20 min sessions in a brz…

I am guessing this car is probably 4 sec faster than my current car.

You think heat is the friend of electric motors and batteries?

I would be surprised to see a Model-anything last repeated launches and hot laps on a track without significant cooling-system overhauls.

What are they going for at auction?

In CA. Not so sure about that in the other 49 states.

All methods of propulsion have their drawbacks of course.

3 Likes

Most tracks have rv camp, car can plug from there

Supposedly the Taycan can do that without issue…so will the new S.
Is this “going to the track” a thing now? Are cars supposed to race you to work? I think this performance fight is getting silly.

1 Like

This 1000x.

I know it’s old man behavior to think this way, but it really wasn’t long ago that to get even 200 horses you had to step up to a nicer car. Now garden variety Camrys and Civics scoot to 60 in short order.

And those last couple tenths people go to battle over can only be realized in ideal conditions. The on ramp to the 405 is not, for the record, ideal conditions ever.

Honestly, how long can you hold the accelerator of any modern car to the floor now before getting in trouble? Visit Europe and drive one of the dog slow 3-cylinder oil burners to instantly appreciate your 300 HP Avalon.

:bat:

2 Likes

Cars aren’t supposed to race you to work…

I look at it from an engineering point of view. I think the Porsche is far more engineered than the Teslas. The performance reflects that.

1 Like

The Porsche is how much though?

I’m not going to argue that the Porsche is not the best all around choice for someone looking for a true sport derived vehicle from a manufacturer that’s had that segment nailed down for over half a century. It’s just a matter of what price point you are willing to and can afford to compromise on.

1 Like

Oh 100%. You won’t see me riding in one.

1 Like

I agree wholeheartedly, and I desperately would love to have a P car in my garage. However, one could argue it’s mildly insulting to all those engineers and others who’ve worked so hard to eek out that performance to use their handiwork to fetch dry cleaning and a sixer at Ralph’s.

But then how would the neighbors know I’m knocking down a big salary if I don’t park a race car and a 7-seat SUV in the driveway?

:bat:

2 Likes

Really, is that why I can move my car from my phone. Heck, I am able to move the car out of the garage with my Apple Watch. That’s not engineering?

1 Like

Wait, what? You can do that from Apple Watch? Don’t have app access yet as waiting on title from the bank after the payoff.

Yeah someone wrote a program to do regular Summon from the watch. You can program your shortcuts and have Siri run a bunch of commands. I bought a new watch so I can have my car pre cooled everytime I am walking to it. I could also open and close the trunk through my watch.

Look, I’m a bit of a car guy and not so much a technology guy.

Engineering I’m referring to the whole vehicle, not just an app capability.

I think you are referring to driving dynamics.

You want to see technology, try autopilot, self presenting doors, the motor, BMS and all the tech that are on the car. The fact that you can get in the car and drive without starting it is already a step forward.

What car can you program to activate the climate control as you leave the front door. Open the door and unlock as you approach, close the door for you when you step on the brakes and be ready to drive as soon as you put it in gear.

Not trying to be a dick, as I’ve not seen the system, nor does this excite me. That said, correct me if I’m wrong, but I assume you set the climate control from an app on your phone? If so, doesn’t it take just as long to set the climate control than to walk to the car, open the door and set it from the cockpit? I mean, If you’re starting the car 15 minutes prior to leaving, it seems viable. If you’re fumbling with your phone while locking your front door when you need to walk 10 steps to your car, it seems like a waste.

Again, not trying to be a dick, but explain to me how any of this is nothing more than a cool factor? I mean, we’ve been opening/closing car doors for 100+ years. Do we really need a car to do it for us? I don’t see the merit of this, again, outside of being “neat.” I suppose MAYBE if your hands are full it’s beneficial. Maybe I’m missing something bigger though. To me, it’s just more expensive repairs down the line when these things ultimately give out.