Buying a used luxury vehicle from Carmax and their Warranty

How do Carmax warranties compare?

You can take your car to the brand’s dealer for repairs with Carmax warranty and pay deductible. That’s what they told me at least.

1 Like

It’s one of the better ones, take anywhere pay $50 deductible. Doug Demuro did a whole video on how he took em to the cleaners on it.

I just remembered that video with a Range Rover.

2 Likes

That was millennia ago

2020 Macan S quote:

2 Likes

And it’s pretty much just as good as back then. They just raised the prices for higher risk/mileage vehicles.

3 Likes

My biggest problem with Carmax warranty is that you’re paying a premium for the car … that makes the effective price of the warranty much higher.

If someone finds an exception that’s great.

4 Likes

You gotta Carmax shop right. You’re getting the best bang for your buck with heavily depreciated unreliable luxury cars. For example, this 2015 BMW 760i:

Most wouldn’t touch a 9 year old V12 BMW with a 10-foot pole, but with a 30 day return policy and 5 year warranty, it becomes enticing. No point in buying a nearly new Lexus from CarMax

9 Likes

Does this count?

https://www.carmax.com/car/25330127

5 Likes

A perfect example. No need to roll the dice on that potential timing cover leak and transfer case failure.

1 Like

I like where you’re going with this.

But my main two questions would be

1. Is there a premium and if so how much is it. What’s an equivalent car going for outside carmax such as private party or the lower end of retail pricing?

2. What will it be worth in 3-4 years, ie what kind of depreciation can be expected?

Can you buy the Carmax warranty for a non Carmax vehicle? Bought elsewhere or your current vehicle?

From what I can recall, it must be purchased at the time of buying a vehicle from CarMax. You cannot add it to a non-CarMax vehicle or add it at a later date.

2 Likes
  1. It’s going to be pretty vehicle dependent. In the case of the Macan Ursus posted, it’s somewhere between $2k over to $4k under (surveying autotrader nationwide). When I was panamera shopping, they had some of the cheapest in the country for the mileage and year. Unfortunately there’s not enough 2015 760is for sale to get a good gauge.

I tend to find they’re pretty middle of the market at the time they post the vehicle. But they’re slow to adjust prices if the market changes. If you see a clearly overpriced vehicle, there’s a chance it’s been sitting with them for a while.

1. Nothing particularly special with a Carmax car in depreciation. It will have unpredictable depreciation as it ages, but you can expect some leveling off as it approaches the lower %s of its MSRP. Only benefit is you’ll have a good warranty if you need to ride out the depreciation longer to avoid negative equity.
1 Like

No, not as a “Carmax car” but in general. It’s one thing if the 760 is worth, say, $30k in 3 years, but quite another if it’s worth 20

Carmax warranty is one of the best

I seen a customer get new turbos and all on his c63 that he bought from Carmax.

I’m looking at a 2019-2020 range rover sport on car max… how do i figure out what the carmax warranty would cost?

Like check this out:
https://www.carmax.com/car/24149776

Call me crazy but there are several cars on my dream car list

Maserati Gran Turismo
Jaguar F type
Alfa Gulia Quad

I love them all but am terrified of the ownership costs.

I would own them with a carmax warranty

1 Like

@Russo werent you looking for a 540?

https://www.carmax.com/car/25143692?utm_source=ctshare

1 Like