Broker or dealer?

Deleting thread deleting thread deleting thread

4 Likes

I think it’s personal preference. Some people like the challenge of getting a good deal. Others would rather pay someone else to do it. The broker makes it easy for you… eliminates the back and fourth of having to find the deal in the first place. Plus they have access to more cars and have pre-built relationships with dealers. For some people that’s more than enough. There are lots of decent brokers on this forum… Reading the reviews really helped me, also seeing how the broker responded, and their communication style was also helpful for me. I’m a consultant by trade, so I Think I automatically look for these things when establishing relationships. I wouldn’t let one bad experience sour your experience with brokers… If you felt like the deal wasn’t going your way, you could’ve walked away, perhaps this is a lesson learned for the future. Bottom line; if you feel empowered to get the deal on your own then more power to you. If you want it simplify the process and still get a killer deal, use a broker.

1 Like

First off, very good of you to stick with the broker even though you felt you could have cut them out at one point.

Brokers don’t claim to waive a magic wand for amazing, unattainable prices to appear.

People use brokers for two reasons: Convenience and Pricing.

Some folks do not have the time or know-how to determine if they’re getting a great deal. Many members here do and they’re incredibly successful in their hunts.

The beauty of a public forum where brokers and non-brokers share numbers, is that consumers can go and chase their own deals after seeing what is achievable. Or, they can choose not to and pay for convenience.

I could spend 5 hours before winter performing my fall cleanup, but I would rather pay someone $300 to do it much faster than I can. And frankly, I hate raking leaves. This argument is relevant for many things.

No broker on this site will claim they have negotiating superpowers not available to the general public. People can always hustle and get a good deal. Others would rather get a good deal and pay a few bucks for it. Not everyone finds enjoyment in emailing/calling 10 dealers, so it’s great there are options for them.

All in all, you’re right about communication. Communication, especially at month end, is not the strong suit of dealers and sometimes brokers too. As a broker, I will always provide a quick response, but I may not have the answer immediately. I assume that goes for most.

4 Likes

Also…you did call the deal a unicorn, so you couldnt have been too disappointed?

4 Likes

Why don’t you leave an honest review for that broker then?

3 Likes

So, you are basically misleading other LH users by giving him a glowing review in your other thread while ranting about his services in a different one? Nice.

6 Likes

For sure-I thought what you wrote was fair and constructive. And, the fact that you noted you may be a little bit of a difficult customer to me demonstrates your sincerity and self awareness (at least how I read it).

Crazy deals are tricky. Working the middle between customers and dealers can be tricky. As long as it works out in the end, its 2-3 years of happiness for maybe a couple of days of “pain.”

5 Likes

Broker review threads are for sharing your experience with a broker, good or bad. And by not sharing what you did not like is telling half truth to others.

1 Like

If I understand the story correctly (and keep me honest)…

The only thing I found odd was the following:

Broker shared the car with you (sounds like with no retainer) or info about that car
Then, you reached to dealer about same car, and got different numbers
–Where you could have cut them out
Instead, you let broker know, and broker went back to dealer and beat the numbers from Line 2?

Deleting thread deleting thread deleting thread

2 Likes

Deleting whole thread. Deleting whole thread.

2 Likes

Got it

Thanks for taking the time to explain

2 Likes

I mean if you were able to get better prices than what the broker offered you should have told him. Also if you have the time and like negotiating then just do it yourself.

We changed cars to get the numbers he wanted. He reached out, for a different quote on a different car than we originally spoke about.

I took his quote, dug deeper into the quote he got (adjusted for taxes), and took a reduced fee.

Most of the brokers on this forum are not true brokers in the sense they can’t deliver the car to you. They are hobby brokers. Once they finalize the numbers, the sales manager has to take over and finish the deal.

the broker was basically a middle man for you, negotiating on your behalf, but has no authority to sell you the car, so he passes you off to the SM to finalize.

3 Likes

Customers like this is why some brokers charge such high fees. Emotional distress. You got a great deal according to you and then feel the need to come on here and not pick over minutia that happens all the time.

5 Likes

1 Like

Well sounds like everything worked out in the end, even though you had to beat the brokers deal on your own. Good on you for not reneging on your agreement with him or her. Now for next time you know that you’re fully capable of doing this on your own as long as you have the time and knowledge. Most aren’t, and that’s why they hire a broker.

I’m just wondering when someone is going to realize that if they charge $100 for preexisting dealer leads and prenegotiated deals instead of $300-$500, they’ll totally clean up…

Sorry guys :slight_smile:

3 Likes